Looking for the Greatest Razor in all the land

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
User avatar
never2close
Posts: 521
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:31 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Looking for the Greatest Razor in all the land

Post by never2close » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:01 pm

Now that I can shave with my Superspeed (2 days in a row), I'm looking to add to my razor shelf. I already have 2 HDs, 2 Mergress', 1 59 Fatboy Adjustable, and 1 76 Superspeed. What would be the next razor that I should (must) own? Until 2 days ago I thought the HD and Mergress were it for me, hence the duplication for travel. Now, get out of my way, the fatboy's going shopping! Thanks in advance.

User avatar
Big Swifty
Posts: 2333
Joined: Thu May 03, 2007 2:31 pm
Location: Henderson, NV
Contact:

Post by Big Swifty » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:29 pm

You must have a fixed head gold aristocrat and a Merkur slantbar. Get shopping 8)
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"

User avatar
Craig_From_Cincy
Posts: 1476
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:38 pm
Location: Cincinnati, OH USA

Post by Craig_From_Cincy » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:36 pm

Gillette Slim with the long black handle. Has provided the best shave that I have ever enjoyed.
Cheers,

Craig

Sando
Posts: 691
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Post by Sando » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:41 pm

SS 58 TV.

...Ray

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!
Posts: 27408
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:02 pm

Post by bernards66 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:11 pm

I assume we're talking about mainly shaving, as oppossed to collecting? The Superspeed you have is a late version. The very best ones are probably the original model offered from 1948 through about 1953 ( and the subtly unique '58 TV model ). If you fall in love with that, as many here have, then you must have one of the heavier fancier versions as well. US made versions include the President, Executive, and US Aristocrat. English made models are at least equally as desireable, if not more so; Coronation Model 58, heavy handled Rocket, Model 21 and 66 etc. BTW, I think you're doomed. After years on these dememted forums, I know the signs ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon

User avatar
With The Grain
Gillette Aficionado
Posts: 1832
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:33 pm

Post by With The Grain » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:18 pm

the common, and cheap! bar handle NEW. shaves a dream if that's what you want... if you want looks and rarity it's not the right bird, superficial aside, it's the equal+ of a 40's superspeed without the regard imo (though it does have plenty of fans)

notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU
Posts: 9449
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 10:32 am
Location: Vancouver, BC

Post by notthesharpest » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:03 pm

I'll tell you the greatest razor.

For the past two days, you've had excellent shaves. Success.

So now you want to change.

WT (as they say) F? :)

The correct razor for you is Occam's: Do not multiply entities needlessly - or whatever he really said - you get the idea. Get great shaves every day with the one you've got. If you're worried about breaking it, get a spare, they're not that hard to find. Or get two if you're feeling rich. If you like the 70's Superspeed shave, the older Superspeed models should prove just as good.

User avatar
never2close
Posts: 521
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:31 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Post by never2close » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:10 pm

notthesharpest wrote:I'll tell you the greatest razor.

For the past two days, you've had excellent shaves. Success.

So now you want to change.

WT (as they say) F? :)

The correct razor for you is Occam's: Do not multiply entities needlessly - or whatever he really said - you get the idea. Get great shaves every day with the one you've got. If you're worried about breaking it, get a spare, they're not that hard to find. Or get two if you're feeling rich. If you like the 70's Superspeed shave, the older Superspeed models should prove just as good.
It's very difficult for me to argue with someone that supports their arguement with Occam's philosophy since I often quote him myself. Damn you and your rationality.

User avatar
i_shaved_something
Posts: 1554
Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Northern Virginia, USA

Re: Looking for the Greatest Razor in all the land

Post by i_shaved_something » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:20 pm

never2close wrote:What would be the next razor that I should (must) own?
All of them! :lol:
Rob

User avatar
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!
Posts: 3311
Joined: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:03 pm
Location: CRANFORD, NJ

Post by D.Irving79 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:13 pm

please refer to everything/anything below my name :mrgreen:

spinyeel
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:17 am
Location: australia

Post by spinyeel » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:34 pm

D.Irving79 wrote:please refer to everything/anything below my name :mrgreen:
I agree.Every dedicated wet shaver should own and love at least a couple of S/Es. :lol: :lol:

User avatar
kaptain_zero
Posts: 1031
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:59 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Post by kaptain_zero » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:50 pm

It sounds to me like you wont stop until you enter the fray of straight razor shaving..... :twisted:

Regards

Kaptain "Go straight or go home" Zero
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.

spinyeel
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:17 am
Location: australia

Post by spinyeel » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:33 pm

Personally I compare the Gem's to muzzle loading musket's and straight's to the Longbow.Both effective weapons, but totally different learning curves. :) I never intend to try a straight,they scare me :oops: my limit is a Roll's Razor. Cheers Phil.

User avatar
kaptain_zero
Posts: 1031
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:59 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Post by kaptain_zero » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:07 am

spinyeel wrote:Personally I compare the Gem's to muzzle loading musket's and straight's to the Longbow.Both effective weapons, but totally different learning curves. :) I never intend to try a straight,they scare me :oops: my limit is a Roll's Razor. Cheers Phil.
A straight left lying on the table should scare no one, it's the person wielding it that's scary! Think if it this way, a musket could go off accidentally if dropped, not exactly the same as a long bow, is it? :-)

Still, to each his own. I prefer straights and enjoy every shave... it's not that hard to learn and the satisfaction never seems to end.

Regards

Kaptain "Razors don't kill people, People kill people.... and the edges on straight razors, come to think of it! Zero
Previously lost, on the way to the pasture. Now pasteurized.

spinyeel
Posts: 160
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2008 1:17 am
Location: australia

Post by spinyeel » Tue Jun 10, 2008 2:11 am

kaptain_zero wrote:
spinyeel wrote:Personally I compare the Gem's to muzzle loading musket's and straight's to the Longbow.Both effective weapons, but totally different learning curves. :) I never intend to try a straight,they scare me :oops: my limit is a Roll's Razor. Cheers Phil.
A straight left lying on the table should scare no one, it's the person wielding it that's scary! Think if it this way, a musket could go off accidentally if dropped, not exactly the same as a long bow, is it? :-)

Still, to each his own. I prefer straights and enjoy every shave... it's not that hard to learn and the satisfaction never seems to end.

RegardsThen again I would rather drop a musket ball on my foot than an armour piercing arrow. :lol: The straight obviously has a growing following but it's just not appealing to me personally.I respect those that master the art though. 8) 8)

Kaptain "Razors don't kill people, People kill people.... and the edges on straight razors, come to think of it! Zero

User avatar
drumana
Posts: 5051
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 1:02 pm

Post by drumana » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:33 am

Since you've been getting great shaves with what you've got, have tried a good number of razors and have the itch for something new and different, I say, do it right and get a straight razor. You can't get any more new and different than that. And straight razors are a blast. Second to that I'd recommend getting a Merkur Slant.

Good luck and have fun.
-Andrew-

User avatar
Squire
Squadron Leader
Posts: 18970
Joined: Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:41 pm
Location: North East, MS

Post by Squire » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:01 pm

Futur.
Regards,
Squire

User avatar
Mr. Spacely
Posts: 338
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: Chicago, IL

Post by Mr. Spacely » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:53 pm

I'll second that -Futr
----------
Scott

marsos52
Posts: 2973
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:45 pm
Location: new jersey

Post by marsos52 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:29 am

no bout a dout it......... futur the ultimate

marc

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!
Posts: 27408
Joined: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:02 pm

Post by bernards66 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:33 pm

I can't agree. I think that their Progress or any of their fixed blade razors are preferable, let alone many of the vintage Gillettes. Of course, this thread makes clear that there is little consensus on 'the ultimate DE razor'. Some people say the Merkur Vision but I wouldn't take one for free. So, there you go. Happy hunting.
Regards,
Gordon

Post Reply