What makes a good starter razor?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Johnny_Z

What makes a good starter razor?

Post by Johnny_Z »

The title says it all, I've seen many posts recommending a Merkur HD as a good one for those new to DE shaving as well as a few others, but what is it about those that make them better choices for the beginner?
ScottS

Post by ScottS »

Cheap and available, and no adjustments to screw around with.
tone

Post by tone »

i have started with a hd, they are really good for what they do and for the price.

This is actually rather a difficult question because unless you actually began shaving with a particular razor it would be difficult to really know what it's like to begin with one.

So whilst I am looking forward to trying some new razors eventually I cannot fault the hd for a beginner

thanks

Tone
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Johnny Z,

Welcome welcome!

For me, a good starter is what you can find. I'm fortunate enough to have plenty of antique stores around to visit. My recommendation would be to do the same -- antique stores and flea markets are a great place to start.

All the best,
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
MiloFinch

Post by MiloFinch »

ScottS wrote:Cheap and available, and no adjustments to screw around with.
On top of the that, I'd add something forgiving. Something that is unlikely to recreate a bad slasher film.
-David
Now go and watch Raiders.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Weshi
Regards,
Squire
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

something cheap, something aggresive. start that bar high.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

A three piece razor - nice and easy to clean.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
drumana

Post by drumana »

Merkur Slant or Merkur HD
-Andrew-
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

There are lots of great choices, but I'd nominate the Gillette Aristocrat. A much-loved classic razor that is quite kind and forgiving, yet feels very solid in the hand. Some say the notched version (post-1948) is a bit more forgiving.

I tend to agree with the approach of getting a fixed-head razor to start. While the adjustments can fine-tune things, they also introduce a whole lot of variables when you should just be focused on learning technique.

Anyway, it's true that the Aristocrat is just one of many good razors, but I think it's a fine place to start. It's what I gave my 21 year old son as a starter DE, and he has loved it.
MiloFinch

Post by MiloFinch »

BeatlesFan wrote:Anyway, it's true that the Aristocrat is just one of many good razors, but I think it's a fine place to start. It's what I gave my 21 year old son as a starter DE, and he has loved it.
Wow. My dad gave me a twin disposable and a can of Edge and told me "Don't kill yourself".

How'd you like another 22 year old son? :D
-David
Now go and watch Raiders.
Johnny_Z

Post by Johnny_Z »

Hmm, ok so there's no magic to it.

I've been wet shaving with the standard Gillette Mach 3 almost since the beginning, but I'm curious about the DE experience. From reading about DE shaving there seems to be a learning curve not present with modern razors and I don't want my face looking like hamburger.
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Well, Johnny, now we be gettin somewhere!

If it is an antique you want, and you don't want to tear yourself up, hunt around for a newer injector. They shave like a disposable...

However, if you just want to see what the single blade shave might do for your skin, a pack of cheap single edge disposables will give you an idea. They aren't great, and you have to be careful with the pressure, but if you have problems with bumps and ingrowns, this is a great way to see the improvement on the cheap.

As an aside, when I lived in California there was a jeweler who went by Mr. Z in his commercials. They ended with him saying, "nobody beats our prices...nobodynobodynobodynobodynobodynobody" (until the fade...)

All the best,
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
dannymac

Post by dannymac »

Johnny_Z wrote:Hmm, ok so there's no magic to it.

I've been wet shaving with the standard Gillette Mach 3 almost since the beginning, but I'm curious about the DE experience. From reading about DE shaving there seems to be a learning curve not present with modern razors and I don't want my face looking like hamburger.
Well, I just started a couple of weeks ago shaving for the first time with a DE safety razor. I'm using a Merkur HD which I like very much.

Overall, I've found that the learning curve involved is more related to being able to get a good complete shave rather than having especially bloody messes early on. The blood left over from the DE razor is the same as it was when I used a Mach 3 and that's a different issue for me, not actual cuts.

But with a good lather and after a nice hot shower, I have found now that you can move the razor across your face confidently and it certainly doesn't feel as though the slightest slip or mishap is going to leave you with some huge gash. The only thing that I have really found somewhat difficult is going around curved areas, like the chin especially, but the key is to just get used to doing short strokes and like they say in the videos, trying to segment your face into flat areas.

The shaves I've been getting now are I think smoother than they ever were with a Mach 3, the whole routine of it is quite fun, feels very traditional, and, if for no other reason, I now have to spend twenty cents per DE blade rather than two dollars for a Mach III cartridge. I would reccomend everyone to go for it.
Bob

Post by Bob »

I'm with Dominic. How about a nice Gillette Tech? Sure, it doesn't have the twist-to-open feature, but it gives a very mild shave. They're generally cheaper than some of the other antique razors, too. At least, they were the last time I priced them.

If you use the Search function, you'll find several threads with advice on beginners' razors. Read a few and you'll have a pretty good idea of where you should start. Good luck, Johnny.
--Bob--
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

I think it best to start off with a razor which is 'mild', forgiving and easy to maneuver around the tight spots. That's why I tend to recommend the Tech to beginners as it seem to fit those requirements well.
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

Gareth, I agree. I gave my son a Tech to start DE shaving with. Later I gave him a SuperSpeed and then a Fatboy. The Tech is still his favorite. Still one of mine too. I started my DE experience with an HD and it wasn't the best choice for me.
Rich
Gareth
Taylorman

Post by Gareth »

Richard, I should declare my interests really, as my very first razor was a Tech. I think it gave me a good opportunity to learn the DE technique with relative ease, which is why I quite often recommend it. I have never used an HD (only a Slant), so I can't comment on that razor in terms of its usefulness for beginners.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Rich & Gareth, I agree. The Tech is an excellent choice for a beginning DE shaver. Also the earlier models of Superspeeds and, if necessary, the adjustables, especially the LH one set down low and kept there. Although it's been touted as a learning razor for years on the forums now, I never thought that the Merkurs were good choices for a newbie. They are really quite agressive shavers, more so then I like even with 45 years experiance. If the newbie absolutely refuses anything but a brand new razor, then I'd suggest the Progress dialed down low, or, I guess, one of those Chinese knock-off Gillettes. I've not seen one, but the consensus is that they're quite mild and tolerably made.
Regards,
Gordon
k1rod

Post by k1rod »

My thoughts would be a Flare tip Super Speed.
There are 10 types of people in this world, those that understand binary and those that don't.