Wilkinson Sword Blades from India, a Review

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Wilkinson Sword Blades from India, a Review

Post by Squire »

These blades are made in India under license from Gillette and are currently in production.

Description: These blades present in a cardboard box without a means of disposing the used blades. Double wrapped and double glued, they take a bit of care to unwrap. The box states their origin and includes the phrase "Better Shave Every Time". I know, I know, it's just marketing, but the red-white-blue box with crossed swords, quirky saying and dated look is very appealing in a look back in the window to a slower paced time sort of way.

Characteristics: A stainless steel blade that proudly states it's made of imported steel. Probably an indication of quality, or perhaps a suggestion. This blade is sharpened with one grind from the table and a short hone to the edge. The grind lines are not even, as the photo shows, and the overall impression is that of a grade blade made to sell at a price point.

Use: Again, appearances are deceiving. This is a good blade that out performs some that cost a lot more. It's sharp enough to cut easily and the coating causes it to glide smoothly. An unprepossing blade that gives a surprisingly good shave with little effort. It's not on the top shelf but is measurably better than the middle grades. Rated 6.85
Attachments
Wilkinson blades - India.jpg
Wilkinson blades - India.jpg (31.82 KiB) Viewed 5184 times
Regards,
Squire
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Squire, it never occurred to me to pick up a pack of these, but Giovanni included a sample with my order this week. So I'll keep your review in mind when I get to it.
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

i have never seen these before :-k
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

I've used and enjoyed these in my rotation for over a year. Nice to see a confirmation by Squire of a very good blade. Also good to find out that Giovanni now stocks them.
Rich
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Rich, Yes, I've kept your previous remarks on this blade in the back of my mind. For a number of reasons, this is one 'odd ball' blade that I might have some interest in trying if the situation presented itself. After your posts, I double checked a couple of Indian groceries around here, but it was no go.
Regards,
Gordon
gagarin

Post by gagarin »

Rich brought these to my attention a while back. I get very nice shaves from them, and through about 3-4 shaves, they are hard to beat.

I'd agree with Squire's assessment at this point. They a very nice blades, maybe a step below the very best.
Chuck

“Hundido en horizontes
soy polvareda que al viento va.
Zamba, ya no me dejes,
yo sin tu canto no vivo más…….”
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

bernards66 wrote:I double checked a couple of Indian groceries around here, but it was no go.
Gordon, I bet you could get an Indian store to get them, either to stock them or get them for you on special order.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I tried that Paul with my local Indian stores and it was a no go.
Regards,
Squire
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Pauldog wrote:
bernards66 wrote:I double checked a couple of Indian groceries around here, but it was no go.
Gordon, I bet you could get an Indian store to get them, either to stock them or get them for you on special order.
No need, Paul. Giovanni sells them in packs of five with four of these and one Gillette 7 O'Clock black Super Platinum for only $1.50.

Strangely, he doesn't list a price for 100 blades.
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Why not just order them from Giovanni?
Regards,
Jani
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jani. Why pay the shipping if you can avoid it? I detest having to mail order something as basic as razor blades. I do it when I have to, but I do resent it. And when I do, I do it in some bulk so that I don't have to do it again for some time.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Oh Hell G, I'll send you some.
Regards,
Squire
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

Squire wrote:Oh Hell G, I'll send you some.
I already took care of that.
Rich
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Squire, Indeed he did. Must be something to it...you're the third person to offer to send me some ( chuckle ). Well, I do appreciate it, and I'll probably add my 2 cents when I've had an opportunity to try them.
Regards,
Gordon
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Gordon, play your cards right and you'll get free shaves for life... :D
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

bernards66 wrote:Jani. Why pay the shipping if you can avoid it?
Interesting that you should say that, Gordon. I find my shipping costs to be less than the price of gas for a round trip to the nearest mall with a C&E and B&BW.

Here in Raleigh, I don't think anybody sells the good DE blades anyway.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

GA, They don't here either, but if the Indian groceries in Tampa carried these blades ( and if they worked well for me, of course ), then I could just pick up a couple of packs on my way out to my office any time. And that's pretty much what a few gents here can do, where they live, apparently. Personally, I'm not that big on mail order, and would prefer to buy most of this stuff in person locally if I could. But, most of it, I can't. So, shave creams especially ( given the current situation ), I almost always buy on trips to NYC. Ditto for A/S and cologne usually. And I buy some from forum members also. As for blades.....well.....as blabber mouth Paul noted, I have...a....more varied....umm....'resources'. It's actually been a long time since I've had to officially mail order any DE blades ( chuckle ). But when, or if, that becomes a necessity, I'll just order 100 Swedes and be done with it for awhile. It really does piss me off that I can't even get a quality razor blade in a metropolitan area of a couple of million people.
Regards,
Gordon
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Well, in due time, the Indian Wilkinson blades from Rich arrived. My initial take, after the first shave with them, is that they're pretty good blades. They certainly cut effectively and didn't seem excessively harsh. But when I splashed on the Pink A/S, and afterwards, there were the subtle hints that this is not as refined a blade as say the old Light Brigade Wilkinsons, or the current Swedes. I would say that it's a good blade, sort of on the level with the NOS Wilkinsons that blademail.com sells, or the Israeli Personnas, but not top of the tree. I'll see how it goes over the next couple of days though.
Regards,
Gordon
Slickster514

Post by Slickster514 »

Regarding these blades, from what I have read elsewhere, currently Wilkinson Sword on produced blades from their German factory. No more from the UK or other locations. Whatever is on the market now not made in Germany is just remaining stock.

Any truth to this?

And how good id the Wilkinson Classic currently made in Germany?
suffolksupplies
Vendor

Post by suffolksupplies »

Yes the current Wilkinsons, made by Wilkinson Sword are made in Solingen, Germany. I find that most people who like the English version, don't like these, but they are quite popular & I like them. I find they work well in a super adjustable.

The Indian & South American Wilkinsons are actually Gillette blades, so are different. There are still UK blades available but these are NOS.

Best regards,

Paul
Best regards,

Paul

Quality shaving products & toiletries from Connaught Shaving http://connaughtshaving.com