Wilkinson Sword Blades from India, a Review

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Today I picked up 2 packs of these and on the bottom it has some Indian writing which I don't know what it is.
They are definitely made in India and by Gillette. They were packaged on 06/06 so they are a few years old and the cost on them says Rs. 10 ???
I will try one in the morning..............
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
GA Russell

Re: Wilkinson Sword Blades from India, a Review

Post by GA Russell »

Squire wrote: Image
Mine looks different.

The top half is the same, but the bottom half says, "A Gillette Product".
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
baldchin

Post by baldchin »

bernards66 wrote:Jani. Why pay the shipping if you can avoid it? I detest having to mail order something as basic as razor blades. I do it when I have to, but I do resent it. And when I do, I do it in some bulk so that I don't have to do it again for some time.
Regards,
Gordon
I too, dislike having to mail-order something as (once) common as razor-blades. However, given the lack of high-street variety and the predominance of Gillette even in small independent pharmacies, I just had to get over it. Northern Ireland is perhaps the most traditional / backward / conservative parts of the UK if I can't buy blades locally here, I doubt you'll fair much better, though I wish you good hunting !
Will

If it's smokin' it's cookin', when it's black it's done.
baldchin

Post by baldchin »

Nitrox wrote:They were packaged on 06/06 so they are a few years old and the cost on them says Rs. 10 ???
That's 10 Indian Rupees or about 0.14 GBP or 0.20 USD
Will

If it's smokin' it's cookin', when it's black it's done.
Nitrox
AC/DC

Post by Nitrox »

Thanks Will.
I tried one and I can say that it is a very good blade. Smooth, sharp and a lot less drag than most blades I use.
Bruno

"Shhhhhaving cream, be nice and clean
shave every day and you'll always look keen."
APC

Post by APC »

Nitrox wrote:Today I picked up 2 packs of these and on the bottom it has some Indian writing which I don't know what it is.
They are definitely made in India and by Gillette. They were packaged on 06/06 so they are a few years old and the cost on them says Rs. 10 ???
I had received a five pack of Wilkinson blades as a freebie with an order from Bullgoose Shaving. I was changing blades this morning in a couple of razors and opened the pack of Wilkinson blades. The first thing that came out was a black 7 O'Clock Gillette. The other four are Wilkinson blades. :o
I love the smell of bay rum in the morning.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

APC, It's a promo thing. Although the 'Wilkinson' trade name is owned by Energizer ( as is 'Schick' ) in most of the world, in India it is owned by Proctor & Gamble (Gillette).
Regards,
Gordon
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

The sanskrit is from an ancient vedic text. A rough translation reads 'Do not dry blade after use.'
Anyone who studies swords will know of the rather unusual ingredient in Indian metallurgy;so be happy it's imported steel. The Kamis of Nepal who make Kukhris prefer old Mercedes-Benz truck leaf springs or Volvo as alternate raw materials.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yeah APC, it's a twofer deal to introduce different blades in the same package.
Regards,
Squire
Dale

Post by Dale »

KAV wrote:The sanskrit is from an ancient vedic text. A rough translation reads 'Do not dry blade after use.'
Anyone who studies swords will know of the rather unusual ingredient in Indian metallurgy;so be happy it's imported steel. The Kamis of Nepal who make Kukhris prefer old Mercedes-Benz truck leaf springs or Volvo as alternate raw materials.
KAV, you never cease to amaze me! :wink:
Regards,
Dale
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I merely asked my indian neighbors. They decided it was safe to talk after seeing the tibetan prayer flags on my patio and me at the bollywood restaraunt across the street.
That, and chasing the Scientologists out with a 2' orthodox blessing cross from Ukraine in a japanese kimono.
beyboo

Post by beyboo »

Its Hindi actually. Sanskrit is the mother language of all Aryan / Vedic languages. Some say its also true for any European "Aryan" languages. Hindi is the dialect spoken most commonly in India. The script of many of the Indian languages would look like Sanskrit.
KAV wrote:The sanskrit is from an ancient vedic text. A rough translation reads 'Do not dry blade after use.'
KAV

Post by KAV »

I was refering to the script, or alphabet. Maybe you will tell the ingredient in Indian swordsmithing :lol:
zliv

Post by zliv »

I like these blades. They are very smooth. There are sharper blades out there, but these are just sharp enough and sooo smooth.
APC

Post by APC »

Squire wrote:Yeah APC, it's a twofer deal to introduce different blades in the same package.
I would not have minded except that I used Blacks and don't like them.
I love the smell of bay rum in the morning.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I used an Indian Wilkinson in a Schick Krona on Saturday and wasn't overly impressed during the course of the shave - post shave however, my skin was smooth and irritation free. This morning I tried a second shave with the same blade and some La Toja soap, using the method described in "Shaving Made Easy" and recently brought to the forefront once again by Giammi - Fantastic shave!

I might pick up some of these in bulk if I'm able to get this quality shave on a consistent basis. I wasn't fussed on the German made Wilkinson's initially either, but will apply the same shaving approach and give these another shot as well.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

Are the Hindi scripted boxed blades the same as the ones that say Gillette on them?
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
dosco

Post by dosco »

A question ... I noted some Wilkinson Sword DE blades at Wal-Mart.

Are those particular blades considered "the same" as the ones reviewed by Squire in this thread?

Best-
Dave
GregPQ

Post by GregPQ »

I'd check and see if the Walmart Wilkinsons are made in Germany. I know it's kind of counter-intuitive, but if that's the case, then they're pretty bad.

Sad, because it was an iconic blade, was the Wilkinson Sword Blade...

Greg <sniff>
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
slantman

Post by slantman »

The Walmart Wilkinson blades are made in Germany and not as good as the Wilkinsons made in India. Not even close.