Platinum Super-max Blades, a Review

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Platinum Super-max Blades, a Review

Post by Squire »

From India come this the premium version of the Super-Max blades. The individual blade wrappers state they are made for Super-Max Ltd with an address in London, UK.

Description: These blades present in a cardboard box without a means to dispose of the used blades. The box has modern graphics with a lovely disk inset which I at first thought was for scanning purposes but upon examination shows different patterns and words as it is turned in the light. Bars, circles, words and flashing reflected light, it's really striking and worth buying a box just to put it under a magnifying glass and try to count the number of tiny words in the background. The disk only measures about .0075 (thousands of an inch) across and I counted at least a half dozen words using reading glasses. It looks like something special is enclosed.

Characteristics: Double wrapped with a minimum of glue, these blades come out clean. This is a plus as I am growing tired of pulling stuck blades out of a wrapper and later having to pry them out of my razor. The blade has a simple two part sharpening with a long grind from the table to a short hone to the edge. Not surprisingly, it appears to be exactly the same sharpening pattern as on the step below non coated Super-Max stainless blades. As near as I can tell the only difference between the two is the coating.

Use: The coating makes a difference. These blades are sharper, or seem so, could just be the coating, and cut noticeably smoother than the slightly cheaper stainless version. These blades are one of those workhorses that performed equally well in all five test razors. A very good combination of sharp/smooth/price/value. Twenty dollars a hundred and worth more than that. The Stainless version I rated as decent at 6.25, these Platinums I rate as good at 6.75.
Regards,
Squire
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Looking at the normal magnification photo of the blade I would assume the edge would be pretty rough, but the close-up shot reveals it to be a lot smoother looking grind than I expected. Those close-up shots are one of my new favourite things on the site.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
fish

Post by fish »

Would this be an aggressive blade that would compare to the Feathers or more civilized for a beginner with sensitive skin that is easily irritated if I apply the wrong pressure or incorrect angle/tilt ?
---fish--- Image
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Fish, comparing this blade to a Feather is like comparing a Ford to a Mercedes. Both will get you there, one does it with style and class and the other just does it. This blade just does it.
Regards,
Squire
merkur07

Post by merkur07 »

I got these in a sample pack a while back. Pretty much forgot about them. Will have to give one a try.

Thanks for your reviews. They are always so interesting and helpful. :)
Robert
--------------------
Razors: Cobra, Futur, '59 Fatboy,Gem G-bar,Slant
Blades: Feather ProGuard/Polsilver/Trig Silver Edge
Brush: Merkur Silver Tip
Shaving Creams: Proraso Red and 50+ others
tone

Post by tone »

finally tried these, and although I don't like them as much as yellow 7's or crystals they are looking like a neat replacement to iridiums/polsilvers.

Tone
MadAussie

Post by MadAussie »

scored a bunch of these on ebay and have been sitting on them, not using any... so I thought, sure, lets give one a go and it wasnt bad like merkur bad, it seems like a nice standard blade, shame they are not easy or cheap to get.
-- Stu, the mad Australian living in Virginia :: Come on you Irons!! WHUFC --
- Honed on the grave stone of Bruce Lee -
MadAussie

Post by MadAussie »

Definitely below a Derby, with the price/availability of Derby, I dont see the reason anyone would want to track these down...

tried in my slim and frankentech and 57ss... pulls, and not as sharp as my usual derby.
-- Stu, the mad Australian living in Virginia :: Come on you Irons!! WHUFC --
- Honed on the grave stone of Bruce Lee -
iamdarkangel2008

Got a sample!

Post by iamdarkangel2008 »

Hello All,

I just got a sample last friday of these blades and apparently these are very cheap in price. I am going to give it a try and post my results! But as far as I could tell, the smell of the wax is very strong.

The smell is like if you have a crayon and use it for a while then smelling it. Use a crayola and you know what I mean. Also, it is so true about the letters in the circle, these reminds me of the lord seal, but this one is much more elaborate.

Dark
Always Enjoying a Good Shave!!!
Red Personna in store 5 pack and 10pack!
100 Red Pack Personna Blades now in Stock
www.razorbladesandmore.com
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

Wow.

Just got round to trying one of these from my sampler pack and I am amazed at how smooth they are. Sharp too, BBS in two passes in my HD. These could well be my new price-to-performance ratio champs.

Very impressed. Am ordering a hundred.
beyboo

Post by beyboo »

I would get around 100 of these for 4 dollars here in India. Plus each tuck has a blade free, that is around 20 free blades. I have been using these for a week and they seem very promising at the price / performance compared to even the Gillette Green Permasharps and Black Superplatinums. But ofcourse the performance of the greens/blacks is a diff story...
Stubblefield

Post by Stubblefield »

beyboo wrote:I would get around 100 of these for 4 dollars here in India.
Excellent price there, sadly they are a touch more expensive for those of us in the US. Would be interested in your further comments on how these shave.
Needashave

Post by Needashave »

Supermax available here both individually and as a sample pack

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=80872
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Need that appears to be a decent deal but you should place such posts in the Selling and Trading Forum.
Regards,
Squire
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

just had my first shave with this blade in my futur. what a great combo! and very inexpensive. this could be a favorite!
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
ateace

Post by ateace »

I use these blades in my HD and other Merkur and EJ/Muhle fixed heads. They give great shaves. I'm surprised they don't get more attention.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

it always amazes me how different people can have opposite experiences. i don't like derbys and like these while others hace the exact opposite impression.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
rainman

Post by rainman »

You mentioned 100 of these blades for $20?

Here is 100 for $9 shipped:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-Max-Platinum- ... 335ab6f300
adrian

Post by adrian »

I use Super-Max super platinum. These are looking a little bit different and currently they are the best blades for me.
What about elephants?
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

Forsaking all others, I have settled on this blade as "the one".

Since first dipping my toe in the waters of DE shaving two or three years ago, I've tried them all, and found no other blade at any price point to be as smooth, sharp and predictable in any razor.

I'm running down my stocks of everything else and topping up on this one. Long may they remain in production.