Returning to a DE from an Injector

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
daniel051

Returning to a DE from an Injector

Post by daniel051 »

Gentlemen,

I am in the market for a DE, be it a new or vintage model.

For the past two years, I have been using a Schick Injector Sultan (model N, if memory fails me not). I had begun wetshaving, however, with a Merkur HD, which I later gave away. I recall finding that razor aggressive at the time, though in retrospect, I would probably chalk that up to my inexperience.

The Injector shaves well, but at times it seems difficult to work with on account of my thick, curly beard, especially in troublesome spots, such as the neck, where there are little depressions. I usually shave every second day. I am not fixated with getting a glass-clean shave, but I do like to shave closely. That seems to be the problem. I can shave well with the Injector only to a certain point, after which the razor's performance seems to drop off.

I am looking for a DE with more punch than the Injector, which I intend to make my workhorse. I do not mind paying, as long as I will be able to use it for a while. There seems to be so much choice that I am unable to come up with a shortlist. Oddities, rarities and collectionism aside, what is some good advice to start my mulling with?

Please excuse the length of this post, but I have tried to be as precise as possible, so as not to repeat the same questions that have already been answered elsewhere. (I have not posted in a long time, unfortunately, but I have been able to keep an eye every so often on what is being said on the board. A warm "hello" to all the old-timers!)

Thank you,

Daniel
Last edited by daniel051 on Tue Nov 25, 2008 7:31 am, edited 4 times in total.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Do you ever have problems with ingrown hairs? (I ask because they often come along with thick curly hair.) Injectors are often a good choice for people with that tendency, so consider continuing with it.

However, as far as DE razors with "punch", the slant would be a great choice, but so would the HD. A red-tip Gillette would also do a good job. The Merkur Futur has the ultimate punch, but for many people it's just too rough.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Daniel, My experiance is that a DE will not shave you any more effectively then an Injector, and in some cases, less so. However, the problem may be the blades. Really good ones are not available anymore, except via eBay. What blades are you now using? And if that IS the issue, then any decent DE could provide a bit better cut, as very good DE blades are still available.....although they have to be mail ordered. If you go that route, then I'd just pick up a Gillette Adjustable for openers, and see how that goes.
Regards,
Gordon
Rlayten

Post by Rlayten »

I agree with not the sharpest, for my thick curly beard, the injector works the best. Ever since I have started using it, my ingrown hair has disappeared. The blade is thicker and especially with the Ted Pella blades, I find that it really does a superb job overall.
Love the injector. Love the shaves.
--
Robert
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

I've personally had better luck with DE, and clearly there is more blade choice with DE than with the Injector.

In any event, if you are considering a DE, you might put the Gillette Aristocrat on the list. I find it a great all-arounder, and I get excellent and very close shaves with it. It's also quite "hefty" with an excellent handle that really grips. There is a school of thought that the post-1948, notched-end Aristocrats are preferable to the non-notched ones. I don't have an opinion on that, but I do find it to be an outstanding, solid razor.

I also like the Merkur Vision, but it is "fussy" and there are lots of quality complaints around here about them. It's also very expensive. That said, I think it gives a lovely shave.

Good luck with your search.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

The likely reason for the injector's success with curly hair is the thicker blade. That makes a single edge razor also worth a try, especially since they're so inexpensive. However, American Safety Razor is probably the only maker of single edge blades that shave well enough.

My other suggestion is to try the Schicks slightly earlier than the Type N, meaning Type L or M. Type M is adjustable.
daniel051

Post by daniel051 »

Good evening,

Thank you for the replies.

I mistakenly wrote in my first post that I am using a type N razor. It is, rather, a J2. As I live in Italy, I buy Schick brand blades at the local pharmacy when I visit family in Canada. I did not think that other blades were available. In fact, the principal downside to using an Injector, I would venture, is the lack of blade choice.

As for ingrown hairs, they occasionally are a problem, but only on the neck. I still have not figured it out completely.

By the way, Gordon, I was not surprised by your post. Most certainly you do not remember, but it was you who convinced me two years ago to buy an Injector.

Regards,

Daniel
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

daniel051 wrote:... I live in Italy, I buy Schick brand blades at the local pharmacy when I visit family in Canada. ...
Funny thing - oh, and Welcome to SMF, btw - I do the same thing when we visit family in the UK. My next shopping trip abroad will include Tesco blades, possibly a Kent brush and probably an EJ Chatsworth razor.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

For many people, shaving downward on the neck is not with the grain. For my neck, with the grain is pretty much upwards.
tone

Post by tone »

what is good about these tesco blades they sell in the uk?

There are two massive tescos near me and neither of them sell de blades??

Tone
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

tone wrote:what is good about these tesco blades they sell in the uk?

There are two massive tescos near me and neither of them sell de blades??

Tone
Tone -- I had a couple of packs thrown in with a recent razor purchase. I have used three so far, and nary a nick nor irritation. They work especially well with my undated Gold Tech. I am not sure if it's that they are really sharp and behave well with the Tech or if it just so happened that I hit good days when using them. I would put them up on par with Derbys, which are probably my favourite blade at the moment. Better than US Personnas, and definitely better than Merkur in my experience. ymmv.

Lack of availability hit me the last time I was in the UK (summer 2007) when I couldn't find a pack in the Super-Tesco in Bury, nor the regular Tesco in Droylsden.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
daniel051

Post by daniel051 »

Do any other blades for use with the Injector exist besides those produced by Schick (i.e. http://www.drugstore.com/qxp27404_33318 ... blades.htm)? If so, where might one find them?

Daniel
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Feather makes a blade that's a little too long. There have been a lot of discussions here about how to clip them to size, and how well they work.

American Safety Razor (ASR) is the only other company I know that makes these blades, and theirs fit exactly. They are used a lot in certain straight razor handles, mostly for hairdressing:
http://www.asrco.com/PageView.aspx?NavK ... RegionID=1

Store brand injector blades are almost all made by ASR. CVS, for instance:
http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/cvs/gateway/d ... did=761676
cutting_edge

Post by cutting_edge »

I think that if the J model doesn't quite do it for you, you might want to try an adjustable one (M). I regularly use the N "grip", which is one of the latest they produced - gives fantastic shaves. Blades are still available in the eBay US, but most sellers do not want the hassle of shipping them abroad.

As for a DE, I recmmend either a "New and Improved", or a "New DeLuxe". My favorite is the 1920's Big fellow. Great razor with lots of bite!
mikeny278

Post by mikeny278 »

For the single blade/edge razor mentioned above (that is not an Injector), can you purchase one new?

Would the Feather AC be considered a razor with a thick blade, or just a Feather AC blade modded to fit in an Injector?
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

mikeny278 wrote:For the single blade/edge razor mentioned above (that is not an Injector), can you purchase one new?

Would the Feather AC be considered a razor with a thick blade, or just a Feather AC blade modded to fit in an Injector?
Feather AC is an open blade, like a straight razor but with a disposable edge. It is extremely sharp. Yes the blade is as thick as an Injector blade, especially if you get the Pro Super size; but the fact that it's a straight-type razor, and so blazingly sharp, makes any comparison very difficult.

There are other single-edge razors, such as Gem and Ever-Ready. I don't know about them, but they exist and people use them on a regular basis.