AOS Fusion Power Razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Craig_From_Cincy

AOS Fusion Power Razor

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

"It's morally wrong to allow a sucker to keep his money." -W.C. Fields

Well, I fell for it. RAD forced me to bid on an Ebay auction for one of these, which I wanted to add to my collection:

I "won" the auction and got the razor for $75. "What a deal!" I thought, as this gizmo retails for $150. Here's what AOS's own website says about the razor:

"perfectly balanced and weighted to feel like a natural extension of your hand, maximizing stability and control...The built-in spotlight, the first of its kind, reveals details normally in shadow...The sleek, contemporary handle is an ideal combination of ergonomics and innovative design, handcrafted in polished chrome and wrapped in a matte black, thermo-resin grip"

Well, it arrived last week. Here is my intelligent, highly nuanced review of the Art Of Shaving's Fusion Power Razor:

It's a complete piece of crap.

Seriously, this razor is nothing but plastic. It weighs perhaps a couple of ounces at most, including the battery. I dug out my regular, original Gillette Fusion razor from under my sink, and it actually weighs more than the "perfectly balanced and weighted" AOS gadget does. In fact, the AOS Power Fusion handle is practically identical to Gillette's Power Fusion handle, save for the light and the colour scheme. About that light... It's completely superfluous, plus how long before it burns out? And that "Thermo-Resin Grip"? It's nothing but plastic coating over more plastic. Compare the AOS's Fusion handle to one of Vulfix's heavy weight Fusion handles (the entire merit of the multi-blade razor aside) which feature quality finishing materials, and you can see the difference between a well done aftermarket handle and a poorly made one.

I put the trinket up on Ebay immediately, and it sold last night. Fortunately, I got my investment back and even made a little profit too boot. I can't imagine how I would have felt had I had paid $150 for this trinket. I would probably have thought of old WC Fields; "Never give a sucker an even break", a lesson which AOS has obviously taken to heart.

Cheers,

Craig
Last edited by Craig_From_Cincy on Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

Craig
ateace

Post by ateace »

Those things are tragic...
spinyeel

Post by spinyeel »

Why would anyone pay big bucks for a Fusion handle? :? Then again,it's only around the same price as a few cartridges. :lol: :lol:
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

built in spotlight? id rather use the model made by abercrombie and fitch

fish

Post by fish »

Thanks for the helpful review, Craig.

But as we all know, a razor should not need to vibarate or shine a spotlight (other uses come to mind, and shaving is not one of them)! :o

I think Dave's flashlight razor is a more interesting idea. :)
---fish--- Image
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

i wonder how many of those trendy snobs who wear/work for A&F know about this. probably.........none :lol:
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Dave, Of course not, as the real A&F closed it's doors in the early 1970s. A pity too because it was an absolutely incredible store.

Craig, You're clearly not well. Perhaps process potential future purchases with the gents here BEFORE acting next time....sigh.
Regards,
Gordon
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Good advice Gordon! Believe me, I was almost embarresed to post this account on SMF. I plead RAD. It's a real disease. Really :oops:

Cheers,

Craig
Cheers,

Craig
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

The whole story does point out that we can often resell our mistakes on eBay, and not take a bath financially.