Treet Classic Dura Sharp Coated Blades, a Review

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Re: Treet Classic Dura Sharp Coated Blades, a Review

Post by Squire »

Yes, they are good, I still use them, or will when I get around to it, the big box is still pretty full.
Regards,
Squire
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

gr_elias wrote:This blade is really nice and comfortable when I go only with the grain. Really smooth shave, but not for going XTG or against! Its lifetime is very short, usually 2-3 shaves of 1 pass. However, you should be aware that since it is a carbon blade after day 3 you will notice rust -- yes rust -- forming on the blade! So pay special attention!
Worthy note. I have a sunny bathroom window to put my razor in to dry out fairly quickly.

Thanks,
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I've hears stuff like dry and oil them and suchlike but Carbon steel blades aren't designed to last once they start being used.
Regards,
Squire
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

I just put mine in a sunny spot while in rotation use, not for long term.
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
gr_elias

Post by gr_elias »

Just check it after second day of use (be careful not 2nd shave, because the interval might be longer). Don't expect to see the rust in the edges, but near the center of the blade. It is not the best thing to shave with a rusted blade and get a cut!
Regards,

Elias
brothers

Post by brothers »

A good while back I had a pack of these blades and each one of them gave up about 4 or 5 good shaves. I bought a hundred, got side tracked with other blades, ended up selling these, but I still have fond memories of them.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Elias you have more patience than I do, two shaves is my limit for these blades.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

Squire wrote:From the Treet group comes this carbon steel blade without any fanfare such as special coloring but it does have a coating on the edge which makes all the difference.

Description These blades present in a cardboard box of ten without a means of disposing of the used blades. Standard Treet graphics, just reversing the colors of the Platinum version.

Characteristics These are both very attractive and interesting blades. They are carbon steel, no special chrome/molybdenum/platinum blends, just good steel with malleable properties. Attractive graphics well presented. The edge is coated which explains the better than average performance. The blade grind is the same as the Treet Black Beauties as the photographs show the same grind/edge. Just like the Blacks, these blades are very sharp. Same edge, very quick, short hone, I took a number of photos just to make sure.

Use: These blades are a genuine pleasure to use. This is the sixth brand of blade made by the Treet Co. that I have shaved with and was about to say OK, another carbon steel blade like the rest they make, I'll give it at least six shaves and review on how it performs. Woah, Nellie, I used them twice as long as I usually would because they simply worked so well. Like shaking hands with someone you didn't know and then become friends. The importer says these and the Black Beauties are the same with different edge treatments. I believe that's correct in that the steel, grind and hone are the same but these have a coated edge and act more like stainless coated blades at carbon prices. I'm going to buy a bunch at $13 per hundred because at that price they work as well some costing twice as much and these shave better. Rated 7.
I just thought it might be a good idea to see what all the excitement is about, considering this blade has been a sensation for six years now.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I liked them enough to buy a couple thousand.
Regards,
Squire
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

Squire wrote:Elias you have more patience than I do, two shaves is my limit for these blades.
In regular use I can't quite stretch these to three shaves. At times using a trick or two, like moving the adjustable setting from 3 to 4 on the final pass of
the third shave, I can get three. Quality of one or two in a 10-pack can be spotty at times, but mostly two very nice shaves per blade.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Anyone who will push a carbon steel blade is braver than me.
Regards,
Squire
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

Squire wrote:Anyone who will push a carbon steel blade is braver than me.
I have two Gillette Thin blades left that came with a lot of Wilkinson Super Sword Edge blades purchased on eBay.
One is dated 1961, the other 1952.
They're good for one decent shave, better than vintage Gillette Blue blades I've tried.
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

Based on this great post,I bought 200 blades from Connaught,the price including shipping was about $19 usd,not bad at all.I usually look for 3 good shaves from a blade,if I can only get 2 then I do not recommend the blade to others.I had 4 nice smooth shaves with this blade,carefully blotting the blade dry with tp after every use.I shave every other day,so in 7 days there is no signs of rusting on the blade at all.I can tell by the "feel" of the cutting that I could probably achieve 1 or 2 more good or at least fair shaves,but like Squire,why push it when your vault is loaded?....A very nice blade at a very good price.
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

While on the "Treet" page...anyone tried these Treets ??...This is the only Trig or Treet I have not tried...
Attachments
treet.JPG
treet.JPG (25.19 KiB) Viewed 5978 times
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That label is a new one for me but that's not to say I haven't tried the same Treet blade under a different label. Any idea what they're like, carbon, stainless, etc.?
Regards,
Squire
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

No,...no info on these,but it's a safe bet they are carbon,and you're right,they probably are the dura-sharp with a different label.
suffolksupplies
Vendor

Post by suffolksupplies »

I would say these are TRIG stainless, as TRIG's are also labeled "SIlver Edge".
Best regards,

Paul

Quality shaving products & toiletries from Connaught Shaving http://connaughtshaving.com
malocchio

Post by malocchio »

These blades,made for a Brazilian firm and sold only in Brazil,are also Treet blades.I had good results with them.
Attachments
barb.jpg
barb.jpg (44.36 KiB) Viewed 5953 times
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Is this the right blade? The original photos disappeared in the forum software update.
Attachments
Treet Classic Dura Sharp Coated.jpg
Treet Classic Dura Sharp Coated.jpg (12.14 KiB) Viewed 4408 times
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Paul, yes, that's right.

- Murray