Treet Classic Dura Sharp Coated Blades, a Review

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Treet Classic Dura Sharp Coated Blades, a Review

Post by Squire »

From the Treet group comes this carbon steel blade without any fanfare such as special coloring but it does have a coating on the edge which makes all the difference.

Description These blades present in a cardboard box of ten without a means of disposing of the used blades. Standard Treet graphics, just reversing the colors of the Platinum version.

Characteristics These are both very attractive and interesting blades. They are carbon steel, no special chrome/molybdenum/platinum blends, just good steel with malleable properties. Attractive graphics well presented. The edge is coated which explains the better than average performance. The blade grind is the same as the Treet Black Beauties as the photographs show the same grind/edge. Just like the Blacks, these blades are very sharp. Same edge, very quick, short hone, I took a number of photos just to make sure.

Use: These blades are a genuine pleasure to use. This is the sixth brand of blade made by the Treet Co. that I have shaved with and was about to say OK, another carbon steel blade like the rest they make, I'll give it at least six shaves and review on how it performs. Woah, Nellie, I used them twice as long as I usually would because they simply worked so well. Like shaking hands with someone you didn't know and then become friends. The importer says these and the Black Beauties are the same with different edge treatments. I believe that's correct in that the steel, grind and hone are the same but these have a coated edge and act more like stainless coated blades at carbon prices. I'm going to buy a bunch at $13 per hundred because at that price they work as well some costing twice as much and these shave better. Rated 7.
Attachments
Treet Classic Dura Sharp Coated.jpg
Treet Classic Dura Sharp Coated.jpg (12.14 KiB) Viewed 7008 times
Last edited by Squire on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Squire
iancevans

Post by iancevans »

Interesting to hear, Squire. I really like the shave the Black Beauties give, so this is intriguing.

Are you using these for one shave only, or does the coating extend the life of the blade?
Ian

"Anything less than the best is a felony"
--Vanilla Ice
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Ian, the life of the blade is at least as long as most stainless blades and remains shaving smoothly. Atypical and surprising, real value for money here.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

This is amazing. I was guessing that these were just repackaged Dura Sharp Carbon (Hi-Tech Steel) blades. My observation of the Dura Sharp name was that it referred to less expensive, less sharp versions of Treet's carbon steel and stainless steel blades. When Giovanni said that these had a different coating from the Black Beauties, I thought he meant instead of the black finish on the latter.

This is truly great to know. Thanks, Squire!

- Murray
george

Post by george »

Since these are carbon steel, I am guessing that to get the number of shaves out of them that you get from stainless blades, you are removing the water from the blade after shaving, correct?
-Michael
TRBeck
Soapgeek

Post by TRBeck »

Michael, not to speak for Squire, but the coating on these means removing the water isn't necessary. They act, in that regard, like a stainless blade.

Regards,
Regards,
Tim

Why should we not meet, not always as dyspeptics, to tell our bad dreams, but sometimes as eupeptics, to congratulate each other on the ever-glorious morning? - Henry David Thoreau
Baloosh

Post by Baloosh »

A 7 is quite a high rating on the Squire scale.

Impressive. May have to try a sample of these.
Jason

Post by Squire »

Murray that was my take as well. Frankly, some of these Dura Sharps aren't so hot. I don't know why Treet decided to make this one so good but they did and I've ordered 1000 because I expect the next shipment to have a higher price.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Michael, Tim, kinda sorta. In a controlled experiment I got one to rust but that was after five comfortable, close shaves. These things are the energizer bunny of the carbon steel blades in that they just keep on going.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

And no, I don't take then out of the razor until their useful life is finished.
Regards,
Squire
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

Squire, I sent you a PM about doing a review on some blades....
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Got it Art, been looking around the house and office as time permits, think I already have some of those, I'll let you know before I leave today.
Regards,
Squire
AACJ
Bot Monitor, Poll Lover

Post by AACJ »

Excellent! Thank you sir.
Art

"This world would be a much better place if people didn't enjoy being victims so much." - Reggs
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Aha! This explains why Giovanni was recommending them to me so strongly, given that I liked the Black Beauties. I haven't tried them yet---I got confused about all the "Dura Sharp" brands that Treet makes (they really need some name consultant to come and give the different makes more distinctive names) and tried a different brand. But I do have these, and I'll definitely give them a go tomorrow.

These reviews are extremely valuable. Though different shavers sometimes have different takes on the same brands (e.g., for me the Astra Superior Platinum is better than the Astra Keramik, though both are good), the overall guidance offered here is superb. And the photos of the edge are fascinating---while the photos of the pack are essential (otherwise I would not have know which Treet Dura Sharp you were reviewing).

Many thanks.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

You're welcome Michael. I share your take on the almost confusing way Treet labels their Dura Sharp line. Counting Trig I have reviewed six different Treet brands and half of them are labeled Dura Sharp. At first I thought it was just different packaging for different markets but have since learned that each variation on the Dura Sharp theme has its own personality. Some of them, the Hi-tech for example, are barely usable for a discriminating shaver while others like this coated one can be appreciated by the connoisseur. Giovanni was correct when he said these and the Black beauties are the same blade with a different edge coating. Photos of the two show exactly the same grind/hone and all the other Treet brands are different, both from this pair and each other.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I should add that when a member PMs me for a blade recommendation I now send a picture so they can be sure.
Regards,
Squire
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

Yes, the picture seems to be essential, especially for the Treet line but also for the various "7" blades (the O'Clock family, the AM line, etc.).
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Michael, knowing how you like the Black Beauties, I figured this would be especially good news for you! :D

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'm working on the 7s now, Giovanni just sent me what I needed to complete the set.
Regards,
Squire
Shave Cat

Post by Shave Cat »

Giovanni gave me one of these Treet blades as a sample a while back, but I didn't get around to trying it until last week. I almost removed it from my SS and didn't try it when I realized it was a carbon steel blade, but I'm glad I went ahead and tried it anyway. These blades a quite sharp and are capable of giving a close shave. Since I sometimes get a little overaggressive with my shaves, so I need to be careful when using these. I was certainly surprised by their quality since most Treet blades receive poor reviews.

-Clarke
Last edited by Shave Cat on Tue Aug 05, 2008 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.