Treet Classic Dura Sharp Coated Blades, a Review

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
jss

Post by jss »

Thanks squire..Your reviews are very helpful..Ordered a few Dura Sharps that will get here in a day or two....
siouxsie

An outlier?

Post by siouxsie »

I don't know what to say, other than these work for me like most carbon steel blades of yesteryear, which is to say they are duller than almost any stainless out there and pull alot. Shaving around the chin is a chore and ATG impossible. They also rust after one or two shaves. I PIF'd mine away so two other folks could try them and the black beauties. I got my stock from Connaught recently. I tried two from each pack so I don't think it was a QC issue. I was really hoping to find a carbon blade I like because I have a Twinplex and some honing stones that I was hoping to find a plaything for. I find even OS PAL Gold thins sharper than these.
sparkster123

Re: An outlier?

Post by sparkster123 »

siouxsie wrote:I don't know what to say, other than these work for me like most carbon steel blades of yesteryear, which is to say they are duller than almost any stainless out there and pull alot. Shaving around the chin is a chore and ATG impossible. They also rust after one or two shaves. I PIF'd mine away so two other folks could try them and the black beauties. I got my stock from Connaught recently. I tried two from each pack so I don't think it was a QC issue. I was really hoping to find a carbon blade I like because I have a Twinplex and some honing stones that I was hoping to find a plaything for. I find even OS PAL Gold thins sharper than these.
are you sure you are talking about the same exact blade as squire reviewed.? i had the exact oposite exsperience with these blades.they are a great blade and are 1 of my favorites.

randy
siouxsie

Post by siouxsie »

Yes, the packaging looks exactly the same as do the blades. The blades you can get here at Connaught----> http://www.connaughtshaving.com/carbon.html

The same, right?

sparkster123

Post by sparkster123 »

yeah that is the blade. what a bummer they dont work for ya.

randy
siouxsie

Post by siouxsie »

I know it is a bummer isn't it? I read about how sharp they are and I just don't get it...but then I read his review on Supermax Platinum and I find those blades totally useless. It's okay, it's not like I don't have blades I love. I was just hoping my experience would be like most others with these. I love the Red Pack Israeli Personnas and he has them rated not so highly. I think YMMV in the case of blades should almost be YMWV. Your mileage WILL vary!
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

I used one of these for the 1st time today. I think it shaved 'smoother' then the yellow 7 o'clock I replaced, but the 7 was sharper.

Compared to some Wilkinsons, Derby, Israeli Personna, I am liking this blade and the 7 oclock. I still have a black 7, an Astra in plain was paper, an Astra Superior, Super Iridium, a Bolzano Superinox to try and then some older blades I got in a trade that aren't made anymore, like some Shicks from the 80's as I recall.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

My take exactly Sam, smooth but not as sharp as the yellow 7, I use this blade for my two daily shaves then toss it.

Sioux, sometimes it is matching a blade to a razor. I try out these blades in five different razors before coming to a conclusion which is the only way to give the blade a fair trial. For instance I am currently using a blade that has received some good posts and I find it doesn't work at all in three of my five razors. I give a blade the highest rating I can based on its performance in the best blade/razor combination.
Regards,
Squire
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

Squire wrote: I use this blade for my two daily shaves then toss it. ...
Sounds like a job for the Treet Blue Special, though that blade is becoming difficult to find.

The Treet Classic and the Blue Special shave very similarly for me. The Classic lasts longer with its coating, but not that much longer.

I can get five shaves from a Classic, pushing things on the last shave. The few times I've used a Blue Special, I'm always tempted to see how many shaves I can get. Usually three shaves, four if I push it.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I get five passes from either the Blue or the Classic.
Regards,
Squire
paddy

Post by paddy »

i have to say my take on these blades, after an extended try i might add (2 packs of 10 and in a variety of different razors), is largely in line with siouxsie and pretty much the opposite to squire i'm afraid.

the first couple of shaves are just ok, but then i find that the blades go to pot completely and they shave so bad by 3rd that i need to change the blade out. a 4th shave? fuggedaboutit.

in short the longevity sucks, perhaps more than any other blade i've used recently. i get much better results with other blades and so definitely won't be buying these again.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Paddy, five passes for me is one day's shaving. After one day I toss them.
Regards,
Squire
paddy

Post by paddy »

Paddy, five passes for me is one day's shaving. After one day I toss them.
i'm a 3 pass man myself.

how can you then say they are value for money? in my experience there are many other blades out there a chap can use for 4 separate day's shaves no problem. perhaps even a 5 day week of shaves.

if you are saying that they are only good for one day's shaving for yourself then i think we are then in agreement. however i had taken from your earlier posts on this thread that your view was that they were durable and represented value for money. if you are having to toss the blade after every shave then i'm not sure i can see that.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I get good longevity from these blades, and they are, in fact, my favorites. They are sharp and smooth.

They don't last me as long as Wilkinson Sword "Light Brigade" blades, but they do last me about as long as any other current blade that I have tried.

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Paddy I toss 'em because I can. I have a lifetime supply of blades and see no reason to stretch out any individual blade as long as possible.
Regards,
Squire
brothers

Post by brothers »

I recently received a Treet Dura Sharp in a small group of freebies that were included with a purchase.

I definitely concur with Squire's opinion in high regard for this blade. It seems thinner than some, reminds me of a Feather, except it lasted much longer than a Feather, and continued to deliver excellent shaves right up to the last one.

I am very impressed with the Treet Dura Sharp, and I am grateful for Squire for his review. Otherwise, I'd have ignored it.

Thanks Squire.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
SRD

Post by SRD »

This review intrigued me so I ordered a couple of hundred of them from Phil at Bullgoose. I was decidedly impressed with the performance and comfortableness of this blade. I used it in a Gillette New Improved and the results were just outstanding using my normal 3 pass routine. If I can just get 1 more shave approaching the quality of my first one on this blade I will be ecstatic. They are so inexpensive. Thanks to Squire for his work on these reviews. Good thread to revisit every once in a while.
Dave
vtmax

Post by vtmax »

I love them. Great for one shave, too rough for two. Works great with all my razors.

Max
Blix

Post by Blix »

brothers wrote:I recently received a Treet Dura Sharp in a small group of freebies that were included with a purchase.

I definitely concur with Squire's opinion in high regard for this blade. It seems thinner than some, reminds me of a Feather, except it lasted much longer than a Feather, and continued to deliver excellent shaves right up to the last one.

I am very impressed with the Treet Dura Sharp, and I am grateful for Squire for his review. Otherwise, I'd have ignored it.

Thanks Squire.
Bumping up an old thread, but I agree with you. The first pass with a Feather is what I personally judge any other DE blade against, and this blade gave me the same smooth yet sharp feel that usually only Feather gives me. Dirt cheap and great performance, what's not to like? :)
gr_elias

Re: Treet Classic Dura Sharp Coated Blades, a Review

Post by gr_elias »

This blade is really nice and comfortable when I go only with the grain. Really smooth shave, but not for going XTG or against! Its lifetime is very short, usually 2-3 shaves of 1 pass. However, you should be aware that since it is a carbon blade after day 3 you will notice rust -- yes rust -- forming on the blade! So pay special attention!
Regards,

Elias