Russian Green Box 7 O'clock Blades, a Review

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Russian Green Box 7 O'clock Blades, a Review

Post by Squire »

From the factory in St. Petersburg come this variation on the 7 O'clock theme.

Description These blades present in a bright green cardboard box without a means of disposing of the used blades. The graphic layout is the same as the other 7 O'clocks. There may be more, I'm only aware of the four.

Characteristics These are uncoated stainless blades that present double wrapped with a minimum amount of glue. The graphics and general appearance show that the factory spent some effort in the manufacturing process. I should emphasize that the Russian box and the Indian box could be easily confused. This one is labeled Super Stainless and the other Permasharp Stainless but you have to look carefully to spot the difference as it is only one word. Country of origin is there in small print but not on the front. These blades are available in the Pacific area and would have to special ordered from a vendor over there.

I enclosed two pictures of the edge because I am trying to refine the edge photos and the two show a slightly different view. The sharpening is one long grind from the table with a fairly wide hone to the edge. A comparison with photos of the Yellow Box 7 O'clocks show the same sharpening pattern with the same clean, even line defining the beginning of the hone. QC is evident here.

Use So how does it shave? Good actually, it doesn't reach the level of the Yellow Box but the edge isn't coated so that wasn't expected. A versatile, working blade that was equally at home in all my razors. Rated 6.75.
Attachments
Super Stainless blade.jpg
Super Stainless blade.jpg (12.32 KiB) Viewed 4174 times
Last edited by Squire on Sun Aug 10, 2008 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Another great review, Squire!

I really appreciate the time and effort you put into these.

Many thanks, once again -

- Murray
GA Russell

Re: Russian Green Box 7 O'clock Blades, a Review

Post by GA Russell »

Squire wrote:...it doesn't reach the level of the Yellow Box but the edge isn't coated so that wasn't expected...
Apropos, I was surprised when Giovanni posted a couple of weeks ago that it is his smoothest blade.

I also note that the yellow is the least expensive of Giovanni's three 7 O'Clocks, with the green in the middle and the black the most expensive.

So perhaps there is a reason that someone at Gillette may indeed expect the green to outperform the yellow.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

GA, Giovanni's green-box 7 O'Clocks and those in the black box are from India.

I don't know how the Russian Super Stainless in a green box compares with the Indian Permasharp Stainless in a green box.

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

GA, all of Giovanni's 7 O'clock stock is from India and the one I just reviewed was made in Russia. I am working on the India versions now and should be able to report by next Wednesday. Frankly, I can only surmise the differences by how they shave, I mean the Yellow Box doesn't actually say on the box that it is coated.
Regards,
Squire
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Squire wrote:GA, all of Giovanni's 7 O'clock stock is from India and the one I just reviewed was made in Russia. I am working on the India versions now and should be able to report by next Wednesday. Frankly, I can only surmise the differences by how they shave, I mean the Yellow Box doesn't actually say on the box that it is coated.
Minor correction: According to Giovanni's website, the yellow-box 7 O'Clock blades are from Russia. His 7 O'Clock offerings in the green and black boxes, along with the PG-Wilkinsons, are from India.

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

You're correct Murray, I was referring to the Green and Black box versions. I suppose Gillette could have made it more confusing if they really tried.
Regards,
Squire
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Thanks guys!

My greens are the Super Stainless made in St. Petersburg. I haven't tried them yet.

I bought them from an R&B poster. I assumed that he had obtained them from Giovanni, which was a stupid assumption because none of the other blades he sent me are carried by Giovanni.
Fitness
Lijun badger
Julius_Rodman

Post by Julius_Rodman »

CMur12 wrote:Minor correction: According to Giovanni's website, the yellow-box 7 O'Clock blades are from Russia. His 7 O'Clock offerings in the green and black boxes, along with the PG-Wilkinsons, are from India.

- Murray

My blade run from him last week included 50 greens from India.

Decent blades. Good review.

-------------------------

Kent
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

GA, I checked, the blade Giovanni calls his 'smoothest' is not the Russian Green box reviewed here. As I stated earlier, Gillette couldn't have made it more confusing if they had tried.
Regards,
Squire
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Thanks Squire. I'll include a pack of the Indian greens with my next order, along with the Arko shave stick you like so much.
Fitness
Lijun badger
evahs

Post by evahs »

Lots of different Gillette blades. I wonder why the quality and cut is so different between them?
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

:(
Last edited by fallingwickets on Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
de gustibus non est disputandum
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

evahs, the blades have noticeable differences because they are made in different factories in different countries. Best we can do is locate the good ones and buy in bulk.
Regards,
Squire
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Communists? What is this, 1955?? I didn't know that Proctor & Gamble, Gillette's owners, were known for being commies.
Cheers,

Craig
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Craig_From_Cincy wrote:Communists? What is this, 1955?? I didn't know that Proctor & Gamble, Gillette's owners, were known for being commies.
Comrade, someone has to take up the slack, now that the Soviet Union is gone and China switched to who-knows-what...
GA Russell

Re: Russian Green Box 7 O'clock Blades, a Review

Post by GA Russell »

GA Russell wrote: I also note that the yellow is the least expensive of Giovanni's three 7 O'Clocks, with the green in the middle and the black the most expensive.
I see today that this is no longer the case.

Giovanni has changed his prices, and the yellow is now the most expensive of his 7 O'Clocks. The India green is the least expensive, with the black in the middle.
Fitness
Lijun badger
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

i bought a massive amount of these. i love this blade.
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

Craig_From_Cincy wrote:Communists? What is this, 1955?? I didn't know that Proctor & Gamble, Gillette's owners, were known for being commies.
I don't know how old you are, Craig, but I spent my freshman year of high school just a block or two from P&G HQ in Cincy.

There were stories floating around back then about how P&G, as a local "Mover & Shaker," had a tendency to meddle in community affairs.

As part of a summer job, I also had to deal with P&G employees from time to time, and noted their condescending, (not ShaveMyFace, but kiss something else) attitude.

I have gone out of my way to use products from other companies, like Colgate-Palmolive, ever since.

I just tried a 7O'Clock yellow this morning as part of a sample pack, but there are a few alternatives that work nicely, thank you.

If P&G loses access to the production facility in St. Petersburg due to the current geo-political situation that's coming to a boil, I won't feel sorry for them.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

They certainly are good blades, we all have our choice of who we will patronize, I will use what works best.
Regards,
Squire