Wilkinson, [i][b]The[/b][/i] Blade, a Review

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Wilkinson, [i][b]The[/b][/i] Blade, a Review

Post by Squire »

These are the originals with the label proudly stating they were Made In England. I know, I know, I said I wouldn't be reviewing any Wilkinsons other than the ones currently made in India because of the multiple versions floating around, but these, the original, have received so much comment over the years on the different boards I would be remiss in not making a report. That and I reserve the right to misquote myself as well as revise and extend my prior remarks.

Description: Presenting in a plastic box of ten blades with a disposal slot for the used blades, these 30ish year old blades were sold in a blister pack with the cool logo cardboard backing depicting British Hussars or Light Dragoons in action somewhere.

Characteristics: This is easily the most attractive blade I have reviewed. When removed from its single wrapper, a bit faded by age, it confidently exudes class and quietly states quality. First rate appearance and logo which I'm sure was by design at a time when such things mattered. The sharpening is a long grind from the table and long hone to the edge. One wonders if this was the way of doing it a couple three decades ago as the more recent sharpening patterns are different. Just an observation on my part but what they did worked because these blades are as sharp as any.

Use: This blade was used in four razors, Krona, Chatsworth, long handle Gillette adjustable and Futur. It worked effortlessly in all of them, exceptional blade.

Conclusion: These blades are as sharp as any, period. That's not to say I believe they are the best because I don't, however they are as sharp as any and a random selection of, say, half dozen experienced shavers would be hard pressed to find one who could pick out his favorite over this one if the blades were loaded blind. I uniformly got very good to excellent shaves with this blade. I found it slightly, fractionally, imperceptibly less smooth than those I have rated higher. Perhaps due to age but as I said it would be a rare shaver indeed who could notice any difference between this one and any of the others in the top rank. Rated 7.35.
Attachments
Light Brigade Blades.jpg
Light Brigade Blades.jpg (35.22 KiB) Viewed 5052 times
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Squire, Good review. Yeah, they're REAL good, and to think that we more or less took them for granted back then. As you know, I only really use Swedish Gillettes, UNLESS I can get these. I'm not sure I could tell the difference blind, but I think I could...the LB Wilkinsons seem just a shade sharper. For me, both are equally smooth and both hold up for at least a week, which most blades don't for me. As you mentioned, the quality difference is evident ( back when it mattered, as you say ); the plastic box is better made and the used blade slot is roomier, the blade wrapping paper is better and there is no glue nonsense or fumbling to get the wrapper off. I used these things for decades and I sure wish that they were still made.....sigh.
Regards,
Gordon
J T

Post by J T »

$1.69 for 10 - Those days are long gone. :cry:

Great review Squire, Thank You.
~ Jack
Craig_From_Cincy

Post by Craig_From_Cincy »

Squire, Great review, and thank you for all of your efforts.

Cheers,

Craig
Cheers,

Craig
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I've been waiting to see if these would slip under the "currently available" rule radar, because they are, for me, the best blades I have tried by a huge margin.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
NewYorkBuck

Post by NewYorkBuck »

So many different Wilks to choose from - Im glad you're taking the effort to review them.
A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

- George Bernard Shaw
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Buck, I don't think that he is ( see some of his prior remarks ). This is a special case. These blades are very vintage, and extremely good. A number of us seek them out specifically, and that is why Squire included it in his ongoing project, I think. He also reviewed the Indian made 'Wilkinsons' ( which are made by Gillette ) because those are consistant, ie, you can order them and have some assurance that it's the same blade made in the same facility. But beyond these, I don't think he's planning on trying to review all the odd lots and socks 'Wilkinsons' that are sold 'round the world.
Regards,
Gordon
SuperSpeed

THANK YOU for the review!!!

Post by SuperSpeed »

Squire,

Thank you so very much for this review (as well as your others)!

I was fortunate enough to secure a small quantity of this exact blade (some were 10-packs and some were 5-packs). In my humble and limited experience, they were truly "in a class of their own!"

Best regards,
--Morrie
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

In the "Genuine leather case made in Austria" travel kit that I've had since new and found again this spring, there was a 5-pack of these. One was probably used in the '70's, and two more recently with the "Travel Tech" that came with the kit.

Just discovered there are two more in the pack. One each will be tried in a Schick Krona and a Slim adjustable.

Though I haven't tried them all, it's good to know through Squire's reviews that something comparable is available today, like Derbys, Polsilvers, Super Iridiums, etc.
CMur12

Re: THANK YOU for the review!!!

Post by CMur12 »

SuperSpeed wrote:Squire,

Thank you so very much for this review (as well as your others)!

I was fortunate enough to secure a small quantity of this exact blade (some were 10-packs and some were 5-packs). In my humble and limited experience, they were truly "in a class of their own!"

Best regards,
--Morrie
I recognize that picture! Well, Morrie, you certainly took your time to make an appearance! :P

- Murray
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Morrie, welcome aboard.
Regards,
Squire
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

One more comment about the appearance of this blade:

The graphics on my samples are busier and not as clean as Squire's samples.

Below the center slot on both sides are the words, 'Super Sword Edge."

Below that on one side only are the words, "Made in England."

These are from the early '70's. I half-learned DE shaving with the Travel Tech on a 2-in. aluminum handle before putting it away in favor of the new, "high-tech" Wilkinson plastic razor.

When I started back DE shaving earlier this year, I used two of these Wilkinsons in the "Travel Tech" and a Schick Plus Platinum in a Slim before getting a sample pack from westcoastshaving. It's ironic that I used these blades with just a few weepers before following the recommendation of westcoast to start with the mild Dorco 300's and work my way up.
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

These Wilks truly are top shelf and I count myself among the fortunate shavers who have a supply on hand.
Rich
Shave4Fun

My blades experience

Post by Shave4Fun »

Here are the few blades I have tried and some reviews in order of experience quality from worst to best):

Red Personna (purchased on ebay and cliamed to be made in Israel, but no logo to proove it), - did not even yield one clean shave without a lot of work.
Brazillian Gillette (purchased in Panama) - not bad if lightly stropped on smooth leather. 3-4 good shaves
Wal-Mart Personna - 3-4 good shaves
Feather - very sharp - 4-5 very good shaves. Best for me in a Tech due to very sharp edge.
Derby Extra - 5-6 good shaves and works great for me in any Super Speed or Tech.
Vintage Super Stainless Gillette - 5-6 very good shaves. Best for me in a Tech or '47 Super Speed due to very sharp edge.
Gillette The Spoiler (Which may be the same as the vintage Super Stainless - anyone know?) - same results as above.
Wilkinson Sword Light Brigade - 6-7 very good shaves. Best for me in a Tech or '47 Super Speed due to very sharp edge.

I want to try the Swedish Gillettes for comparison to the vintage Wilks, especially since the Wilks are so hard to find.
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

Roger, I think the Spoiler is the same as the Super Stainless. I have both and they shave identically. The dispenser packs are the same except for "The Spoiler" emblazoned on one. Most likely it was just a marketing promotion by Gillette. And a good one at that.
Rich
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

I started shaving today with the next-to-last sample that I have of these blades, as referenced in my post above. First time I've used one since last year, with improved technique.

Though this blade is rated by Squire similarly to a Polsilver or Super Iridium, this blade was smoother and cut effortlessly in a Super Adjustable set at 3 and 4.

Squire's sample is touted as having a "New Chromium edge," which seems like just another term for stainless steel.

My sample, as shown in the image below, is touted as having a "Super Sword Edge."

Though it doesn't show in the image, the blade appears to be PTFE coated, perhaps an addition to the original justifying the term "Super Sword Edge."

As best as I can remember, these blades were purchased by me sometime in the early '70's.

Anyone know anything more about this blade?
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

What more is there to know? You purchased them during the era when the quality and effectiveness of DE blades were at their peak, and the Wilkinsons were 'the best of the best' I always thought. Their like is not in the world today.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Beg to differ G, there are some very good ones out there, Feather, yellow box 7 o'clocks, Super Iridiums and their ilk.

Will agree on one point though, those old Wilkinsons set a standard to which other blades should aspire.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Squire, Yes, I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree. IMO, none of those blade mentioned are even in the same league as the old Wilkinsons. The Swedes were the closest, and now they are no longer being made. I used an Iridium ( which I think is the best of the current blades ) for a week, then put a LB Wilkinson in the same razor and could tell the difference immediately.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I will say this about the old Wilks, they worked well in all of my razors and that ain't true of the various blades I've used.
Regards,
Squire