Finally used a DE

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
JackieMartling

Finally used a DE

Post by JackieMartling »

Well, my DE finally arrived, and I did my first DE shave today. It went great. Given all the grim stories I've read in here about beginning with a DE, I was thinking it would be akin to my first straight-razor experience, which would make a good treatment for a horror movie. But I got through the shave without any problems, not even one nick, no razor burn, nothing. In fact, it was pretty comfortable, and using it felt pretty natural; it certainly wasn't foreign feeling, like a straight. Honestly, I am having a hard time understanding what all those horrific first-time accounts were all about. Not that I'm not sympathetic; I just don't understand why mine went so well. Usually, if there's a guy who's going to have problems shaving, it's going to be me. I used an Edwin Jagger fixed head, so maybe that helped, since the blade exposure is nothing too aggressive in that razor. I was completely prepared to apply zero pressure on the blade, and just let the razor weight do the work. As it turns out, I think I was over prepared, because I found I actually had to increase the pressure I was applying to get any sort of a decent shave. I did two passes N/S with the grain, then did a light cross-grain pass. I'm not too thrilled with the level of closeness at this point, but it was passable. It's no worse than a M3 with the grain, and I think I enjoyed the overall experience more. I will keep working on it, of course, but at this point I'm wondering what else I might do to improve the closeness. Or am I getting ahead of myself? Going against the grain with a M3 was a nightmare, but I've heard a DE is better in that regard. Maybe one day I will try that.

Any advice on improving closeness with the DE? Is an adjustable in order at some point? I have a crush on the Vision, but am still working up the nerve to approach it - kind of like the class babe that you used to watch all the time but dared not go up and talk to.
JackieMartling

Post by JackieMartling »

Hey, thanks Chris, since you're the one who pointed me to the EJ. Maybe some day I will get that damn straight of mine honed and try it again. Until then, I keep it locked in a reinforced cage, kinda like Hannibal Lechter, lest it get free and commit more mayhem. It is one scary MF.
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Good show JM!!!

Congrats on the shave... I knew you could do it! \:D/
With all the posts on all the forums and the answers you got, I am sure it all contributed to a case of 'Information Overload' so you were extra careful. That's great, because most guys don't listen to the advice and end up complaining about a 'nightmare experience' .

Now, like Chris says, varying the angle by (gently) lifting the handle slightly will allow you to adjust the closeness somewhat. Another thing, don't know if you already do this, is rinse your face well with hot water between latherings for each pass. I am not exactly sure why it makes a difference but it seems to. Somebody told me once, that the in-between rinses 'neutralize' the remaining lather that is next to your skin and wash it off. That gives you a fresh skin surface to re-lather... I don't know but it makes as much sense as anything else! :roll:

Good shaving...

Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
rschul2

Post by rschul2 »

JM,
One thing I noticed when learning to shave with a DE is that in order to get a great shave you need to know "the lay of the land". Learn which direction your hair grows in. Does it go up to down, or right to left, etc.? In my case my neck hairs go left and right and up and down, so when I shave my neck I take special car to go with the grain and against the grain, not just a N to S pass and then a S to N pass. Once you get the hang of it, you'll be shaving like a pro in no time. Best of luck, and welcome to the club.
:D
Randy
AceHarddrive

Re: Finally used a DE

Post by AceHarddrive »

Okay, Jackie! Now put in the blade and try it, hehe!
JackieMartling wrote:Well, my DE finally arrived, and I did my first DE shave today. It went great.
One thing I learned over on StraightRazorPlace (Yahoo group) is to only lather up your face a section at a time (left cheek, left neck, right cheek, right neck, chin, upper lip), and shave that one area before moving on, otherwise you run the risk of having your lather dry on your face (not really a problem with the kind of lathers we get, huh?)

~Tim :P