Swedish Gillettes vs. New Crop of Gillette blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

That works out to $60 per hundred which is three to four times the cost of equal or better blades.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

marc, Where did you see the Swedes selling for $3 a pack? BTW, I have a pack of those yellow box 7 O'cloks coming, so, we'll see.
Regards,
Gordon
brz90

Post by brz90 »

John Lewis stores in the UK have Gillette Swedes for £1.25 a pack of five. Today that's only US$2.23.
Julius_Rodman

Post by Julius_Rodman »

It was a drag to find two packs of Swedish G's rusted out from confinement to the bathroom. The steam from prolonged showering got to them.

None of the other dozen brands in the pile were remotely bothered by it.

Live and learn.

--------------

Kent
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Live and learn, die and forget it all.
Regards,
Squire
Julius_Rodman

Post by Julius_Rodman »

Squire wrote:Live and learn, die and forget it all.

Oh, the easy option in death...

----------------

Kent
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

The upside is there are a lot of good blades out there that we can use while we use them and our heirs can sell the cool leftovers on the collector market.
Regards,
Squire
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

NewYorkBuck wrote: Swede
Polsilver
7AM Yellow
Iridium

I think "7AM" here should be "7 O'Clock".
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

bernards66 wrote:The last really good ones were marked 'Made in France' and that was in the 1980s. After that we got 'Made in Mexico' or 'India' for awhile, and then for the last quite a number of years, 'Made in Russia'. These last have always been horrific
Czech Republic, too.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Paul, I never saw any of those in the States. I'm not saying that there weren't any, but all I ever saw ( or the members on the original forum saw ) were the ones from Mexico and India during that period.
Regards,
Gordon
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

The week before last, I shaved with a 7o'clock yellow, this week with a Derby, which sells for less than half since Giovanni raised the price on the yellow by 67%.

The 7o'clock SharpEdge (yellow) is a nice blade, but not worth twice the price of a Derby.

I went back to DE shaving to save on the outrageous price of plastic cartridges. The Derbys, Dorco ST-301's, and maybe some in between give me a very satisfactory shave.

To pay more for a "Swedish" Gillette than a 7o'clock yellow, that is ranked lower on the Squire scale and is harder to find, just doesn't make sense to me.

That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Rufus, Well, I use the Swedes because they're the best currently made blades that I've found. Squire is entitled to his opinion, but I think that they're better than those 7 O'clock numbers....at least the ones I have are. Sure, I could get by with the Israeli Personnas ( Crystal ) but the shave a get from the Swedes is better, and they last for about twice as many shaves, so the price differential isn't quite as great as it seems. Still, the Swedes are expensive compared to most other DE blades, but are still not even in the same league, price-wise, as most cartridges.
Regards,
Gordon
bflotom2

Post by bflotom2 »

I found this thread late so my comment may already be mentioned. Those red Gillette's if they are made in Russia they maybe the same as the Gillettes I have purchased in Canadian WalMarts. Not really a bad blade. Not as sharp or lasting as the Swedes but not a bad domestic alternative.

I recently purchased Swedes from Classic Shaving for $3.17/pack.
Regards,
Tom
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tom, In the picture on the Classic Shaving website, those seem to be 'Super Silver' blades, not the Swedes ( 'Gillette Platinum' ). Correct?
Regards,
Gordon
bflotom2

Post by bflotom2 »

Gordon, it seems that in spite of what is said it's the eyes that go first not the legs. You are correct.
Regards,
Tom
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Drat! I was hoping I wasn't.
Regards,
Gordon
Occam

Post by Occam »

Leisureguy wrote:Really, the best way to find out whether the blade will work well for you is to try it. I can tell you about my experience with the blade, but whether that will hold true for you can be known only by your trying the blade.
Is that a long winded way of saying "YMMV"?

;)
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
Occam

Post by Occam »

mikeny278 wrote:For me, personally, the Swedes are smooth, but not terribly sharp, especially after a couple of shaves. I could not use one for more than 3 shaves. I am trying to finish through the rest of my Swedes here and there to just get rid of them. I had found the new Gillettes were basically about the same as the Swedes for me.
When I was doing 3 pass with ATG the Swedes were quite OK... but once I went to one and two pass shaves the Swedes really started to show their weakness for me... unless you were doing multiple pass shaves it didn't perform to the standard I expected...

I still have about 35 of them which like you I use from time to time just to get rid of them. My last one last week was used for 2 shaves before I tossed it... to think I was treasuring these is laughable to me now...

They're a good blade for multi pass shaves imo... but not an every day blade for me...
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ben, Well, for me it's irrelevant because I can't get the kind of shave I want today with one pass with ANY blade, and two is marginal at best. Only the 'reduction' method is satisfactory for me, and with that, the Swedes have proven to be the best currently made blade IMO. I always get at least 7 three pass shaves out of them, which I can't with any other blade I've used. To each his own, and all that.
Regards,
Gordon
NewYorkBuck

Post by NewYorkBuck »

Pauldog wrote:
NewYorkBuck wrote: Swede
Polsilver
7AM Yellow
Iridium

I think "7AM" here should be "7 O'Clock".

You are correct. My bad.
A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

- George Bernard Shaw