Indian Green Box Gillette 7 O'clocks, a Review

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Indian Green Box Gillette 7 O'clocks, a Review

Post by Squire »

From Gillette India Limited comes this yet another version of the 7 O'clocks'.

Description These blades present in a mostly green box with the familiar 7 O'clock logo. The box is in fact identical to the Russian version except for the words Permasharp Stainless instead of the Russian's Super Stainless. A side by side photo is included below. The blades are double wrapped and glued, regretably.

Characteristics These are very attractive blades with a logo and words clearly stamped. Notice these don't have the usual 1-2-3-4 marks, just a three on one side and a c on the other. Still marked though which I suppose is for lab use. The sharpening is a long grind from the table down to a very short hone to the edge. I had a devil of a time getting a photo to even show the edge, it's that abrupt, notice the clean, straight lines though, or to the extent I was able to capture them. The pattern appears to be exactly the same as the Russian Blades so apparently Gillette has decided to use the same specs on their 7 O'clocks no matter where made. This is good for us as we shavers World wide have a consistent product to choose from no matter where we are.

Use I used these in five different razors, Weshi, Krona, Chatsworth, Gillette and Futur. The blade worked in all of them but worked especially good in the Gillette set on 4. It was just the right combination and I kept switching back to it, often in mid shave and the difference in performance was noticeable each time.

Conclusion These are sharp, smooth blades that should please even the most discriminating shaver. I like the yellow box Russians slightly more but the differences are slight and perhaps not even noticeable unless one is very observant. Rated 7.25
Attachments
Permasharp Stainless blade (sm).jpg
Permasharp Stainless blade (sm).jpg (18.72 KiB) Viewed 4417 times
Last edited by Squire on Sun Sep 13, 2009 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,
Squire
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

Thanks for the review Squire. I like these blades too and have been wondering if they measure up to the Russians. As I have a pretty fair supply of these Indians I am content to know, from your review, that I needn't seek out the Russians.
Rich
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Yeah Rich, if I had a supply of the one I wouldn't rush out to get the others.
Regards,
Squire
rahul325
wEtShAvEr

Post by rahul325 »

great review Squire :) how good are they compared to the feathers ?

TIA,
-R
Wet shaving is an expensive addiction :twisted:

FS - 2 fatboys - E2 and F4, both in good condition. Pls PM me
george

Post by george »

Squire, you say you like the Russians slightly more, but you rated the Russians 6.75 and these 7.25...
-Michael
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

R, the Feathers are the best and the standard by which the others compare.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Michael, I was comparing them to the Yellow Box Russians.
Regards,
Squire
george

Post by george »

Squire wrote:Michael, I was comparing them to the Yellow Box Russians.
Oops, my mistake. Sorry. Thank for another fine review!
-Michael
rahul325
wEtShAvEr

Post by rahul325 »

Squire wrote:R, the Feathers are the best and the standard by which the others compare.
cool, thnx a lot for the reply :)
Wet shaving is an expensive addiction :twisted:

FS - 2 fatboys - E2 and F4, both in good condition. Pls PM me
Mattinnc

Post by Mattinnc »

Thanks Squire,

So far my 2 shaves with this blade ( in the Merkur HD) are not as close as my Yellow Box 7's were back in the days I was using my Gillette Slim.

I'll try these in the Gillette due to your experiences and will poke around to see if any one thinks these 2 razors shave differently with the same blade.

Matt
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Matt, I believe that two identical razors may shave differently with the same blade and I mean the same exact blade.
Regards,
Squire
Rufust445

Re: Indian Green Box Gillette 7 O'clocks, a Review

Post by Rufust445 »

At the risk of reviving such an old thread about a blade that doesn't get much attention, I just received 10 cartons of 10 from India, for $8.10. I'll have to go with Squire's statement on these: "I like the yellow box Russians slightly more but the differences are slight and perhaps not even noticeable unless one is very observant."

I tried the 7 o'clock yellows years ago, and found them not smooth enough for me. Since then I've tried them in the two razors I now rotate:
Razorock DE1 (a.k.a. Baili 171) and the Dorco PL602. Voila! Big difference. Same goes for the 7 o'clock permasharps.

I believe Murray stated a while back that the new razors that have come out in this trend have noticeable improvements over the vintage
razors like I started with. Can't disagree with him, the razor CAN make a difference.