How to Sharpen a Wedge Blade

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
brothers

Re: How to Sharpen a Wedge Blade

Post by brothers »

Just out of curiosity, does anyone still actually do this?
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
DIRVING79

Post by DIRVING79 »

They absolutely do they’ve just modified their tools to make it easier. When I posted this NO ONE was using them probably since the time they came out. Granted it’s still a minority but there’s a few of us that still do it. Not that much different than sharpening a straight razor :o
•• •• •• ••
David
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Dave, is that you?

Are you the same person as D.Irving79?

If so, it's really great to see you after so long!

- Murray
DIRVING79

Post by DIRVING79 »

CMur12 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 4:23 pm Dave, is that you?

Are you the same person as D.Irving79?

If so, it's really great to see you after so long!

- Murray
It is I... haha.

Ten year hiatus but I’m back. Really nice seeing a lot of the original crew still around :mrgreen:
•• •• •• ••
David
brothers

Post by brothers »

Dave, are you still among us! :D I've always enjoyed your contributions.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
TyraNoah

Post by TyraNoah »

D.Irving79 wrote: Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:27 pm so........for a long time i asked around, i searched high and low on the internet, i asked for the assistance from so called "honemeisters"....and nothing. i could get no help to sharpen a 2 inch piece of metal resembling a piece of a straight razor called a wedge blade. for the curious, a wedge blade was the first safety razor "blade". it was NOT disposable and had to be resharpened for continuous use. i recieved mine when i won an auction for an 1888 kampfe bros. star razor, and ever since then ive wanted to use it, but i really didnt know where to start as far as sharpening it went, and i didnt feel like spending $$ on a good strop, x7623945623 stone, etc.

the other day i recieved a full gem junior outfit i had purchased that included an automatic stropping machine. i knew this was something i would have needed if i wanted to attempt to sharpen a wedge blade myself, but people selling automatic stroppers were either REALLY overcharging for them or had ones in very poor condition.

anyways, yesterday i was bored, threw together some basic items that could accomplish the setup. as far as the end result, i would know if i tried. but it worked; today i shaved with it in the 1888 Kampfe and the shave wasn't GREAT, but it was good. the blade was sharp, shave ready. it needed a bit more, but my methods had worked; i had found a formula. so here it is, step by step:

first, the tools of the trade:

at the top we have a stropping attachment. under that we have a stropping handle; mine happens to be the handle of a GEM razor. to the left we have the hone section of a rolls razor. in the center, the wedge blade itself. to the right, the stropping machine. in this case, a GEM. and lastly, a strop. i used a valet.

after you insert the stropping attachment into the stropping handle, you will want to insert the blade:

youll notice that its hanging out slightly. that is to cope with the metal edges of the lid of the rolls hone. next, the actual honing itself. up one way on one side, then back the other way on the other side (duh). keep it FLAT btw:

i neglected to keep count, but i kept it up for at least 1-2 hours. ymmv: one blade might be duller or sharper than the other.

after youve done the honing, youll want to do some stropping. prepare the stropper:

youll notice the empty slot in the middle. on the right, theres a pin with a spring that pulls out for blade insertion. pull it back, insert the blade, snap it into place:

now youll need to run your strop through the stropper. hook the strop to a secure place facing you, pull it under the first roller, then under the turn pin, then under the second roller. youre basically doing this in steps towards you:

you run the stropper up and down the strop. the turn pin flips the blade back and forth exactly like it would a valet auto strop razor. repeat as needed. i tested the blade on my face. even a dull blade can cut arm hair. the finger test can work as well, or that folded hair test they do with straight razors (i think thats how they do it).

....id like to thank the 2 people that are interested in this :lol:
Seems tricky! Id like to see that in action. Any you-tube materials or links on the same?
go | up
brothers

Post by brothers »

Hello, TyraNoah, and welcome to SMF. I also would be interested in what Dave might have to say. His original post was quite a cache of information, worthy of a response! :D
Gary