Gillette Super Blue Blades (China) a Review

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Gillette Super Blue Blades (China) a Review

Post by Squire »

From China come these modern interpretations of the traditional Gillette Super blue Blades.

Description These blades present double wrapped and lightly glued in a package strikingly similar to the Gillette Blues of old. Were it not for the Chinese characters printed on the wrapper one could mistake these for originals. I don't have a box as these were sent to me loose. I got them in a trade with one of our overseas members.

Characteristics Well, first the bad news. The blades are not carbon steel and they are not blue. They are stainless and other than the wrapper do not look at all like the originals. The grind line is very level and clean, the hone line to the edge is not so well defined. What appears to be a notch is just a bit of dust that appears under 450 magnification.

Use My first thought was ho-hum another cheap knock off capitalizing on a famous name, probably shave like a dull hoe. So much for preconceptions. I don't measure a blade by number of shaves, rather by number of passes. Three passes in the morning, two in the evening. A blade that lasts three days has lasted fifteen passes. These blades are like the energy bunny in that they just keep on going. Fifteen passes and they are ready for more. Thought I would get just one days shave each but instead of the test lasting three days I used them for five. My first shave I thought, darn, these things are just as capable as Crystals or Israeli IPs. Its good to be wrong sometimes as subsequent shaves proved they are the equal of those blades.

Conclusion I hope this is a harbinger of good blades coming out of China. These blades did not work up to their potential in all the five razors I used, they were just satisfactory in my fixed blade razors, Weshi, Krona and Chatsworth, but they really shined in my adjustable Super Slim Gillette and Futur. I will rank a blade according to its best shave and these deserve a 6.75.
Last edited by Squire on Tue Sep 16, 2008 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Squire
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Squire, you're the lawyer here.

Do you think that Gillette considers these to be counterfeits, and would therefore prohibit them from being sold in the US?
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
harper

Post by harper »

G.A.Russell, interesting question. Gillette does operate out of Shanghai and Googled and here is what I found;

ASIA
CHINA
Gillette Shanghai
550 Sanlin Road
Pudong
Shanghai 200124
People's Republic of China
hr_shanghai@gillette.com

Whether they would export them to the US or elsewhere is something I guess someone could find out by emailing them. I used to love the old Super Blue Blades and would enjoy trying one of these out.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Harper, these are good blades now matter how labeled.
Regards,
Squire
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

GA, I am informed these blades are being made under license and the brand is sanctioned by the owner of the brand name.
Regards,
Squire
roosterbooster

Post by roosterbooster »

Thanks for the review i bought a packet for AUD $2 , will try them after i have finished with the 7AM Gillettes (Yellow Wrappers), which are great blades.

Also thanks for your great reviews have made my blade selection easier.

Cheers
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Thanks, harper and Squire!
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
harper

Post by harper »

Squire: As the expert on DE blades if you say they are good they must be. Wish I could find a place to buy them.

cheers

bob
BPman

Re: Gillette Super Blue Blades (China) a Review

Post by BPman »

I recently tried an authentic one and I'd rank it at least as good as an Astra SP. It really shined for me in a Schick Krona. I only wish I had a reliable source for these that were not counterfeit. :(