Gentle Blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Boyextraordinare

Gentle Blades

Post by Boyextraordinare »

What blades would be considered gentle?

On me, for example, the Astra Superior Platinum is unbelievably forgiving, while it feels almost harsh in the midst of the shave.

But what's gentle-all-around, if such a thing exists?
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

For me, its the Personnas. I hardly get a nick from them, and when combined with a superspeed, I can barely feel the blade.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
PACHUCO

Post by PACHUCO »

For me its Crystal blades. And I'll be the first to say it; blades is very much a YMMV. For example I won't touch Feather or Merkur blades with a 10ft. pole, to others they are the creme de la creme.

Serg
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

Try a Trig.
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Geez, you hit on one of the more contentious questions out there. However, Jack and Serg are steering you in the right direction in recommending the Personna/Crystal/IP. Cheap, plenty sharp and smooth.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Boyextraordinare

Which Personnas?

I'm hoping you mean the Walmart variety...

PS: What's IP - Israeli Personnas?

PPS: That astute comment by Mantik (sp?) about Merkurs being the barometer against which other blades are compared is really making sense to me...In fact, I'll only use a Merkur now on the shave preceeding one on which I try a new blade.
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Sorry Kavah, for the confusing answer. By IP, I meant Israeli Personnas, which are also called Crystals and come in a white wrapper with blue circles. It's my daily blade, although I'll switch in other to keep things interesting and to see if the grass is greener. I am assuming that Jack also meant these or, maybe. the Red Pack Personnas (they come in a red box with the word "Personna"), which curoiusly enough are also made in Israel at the ARC factory. I recollect reading somewhere that the difference between the IP/Crystals and the Red Packs is that the latter did not have a coating (calling Squire...) I have a bunch and they shave nicely. It's been a while since I tried the American Personnas (Wlamart/CVS), but I recall them as giving a much rougher shave than the IP's. That doesn't mean that you won't care for them, though.
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

My fault, Chris...

Currently, all I can find in my area are the standard Personnas. I "cork" them to smooth them out a little, but honestly, I can get a fine shave (and a few more) without doing so...

The Israeli Personnas are top notch in my opinion, when I was able to find them around here. Needless to say, I'm not much of an internet shopper...
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

I started with the US Personnas (WalMart) and have also used the Crystals. The Crystals are smoother, but the US Personnas aren't as bad as their reputation, just slightly rough and average sharpness.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
Boyextraordinare

Have a pack of Wilkinson's I haven't even tried. They're the German ones...which I heard are bad.
ThePossum

Post by ThePossum »

I find Derby Extra, Crystals, Trig to be gentle. I did not get a great shave with the Trig but have done so with the Derby & Crystal blades.

As for the German Wilkinson blades you may have heard that they are bad but I would give them a try anyway. In fact try a couple or three of them before you make up your mind. For most they may not be that good but for you they maybe fine.

The only blade that I know of that is almost universally disliked in the wet shaving world is the Merkur blades that come with any new Merkur razor and are sold by some of the merchants who frequent this Forum. Yet there are at least a few of us who do love the Merkur blades.

I have found that Squire's Blade Reviews have been a lot of help to me when it comes to picking a blade to try. Seems his two shaves a day are similar to my one shave a day. I get similar results as he does with the blades he has reviewed and I have bought.
Bryce

My Shave Stuff
The Original Safety Too - An SE Razor Forum
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

If gentle is another word for smooth and irritation free then I must give a shout out to Feather, to me the smoothest cleanest shaving and therefore gentle blade on the market. :P
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
Big Swifty

Post by Big Swifty »

ThePossum wrote:
The only blade that I know of that is almost universally disliked in the wet shaving world is the Merkur blades that come with any new Merkur razor and are sold by some of the merchants who frequent this Forum. Yet there are at least a few of us who do love the Merkur blades.
You are correct Bryce,
and to this I feel is the biggest problem with why many members dislike Merkurs is they only have experience with the sample blade that comes w/a razor. You cannot judge these blades against the fresh ones from a pack. these loose blades bounce around and can have a microscopically (is that a word) damaged edge before one even begins (ask Clive or Oscar).
~Steve

~proponent of a strong salvation army, born again Calvinist, cunning linguist, flaming heterosexual

"Life is too short to drink shitty beer"
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Boyextraordinare wrote:Have a pack of Wilkinson's I haven't even tried. They're the German ones...which I heard are bad.
They aren't bad bad. They just aren't as good as the old Wilkinsons from the 70's. (Which not much is.)

Merkur blades are probably at the lowest popularity of any blade out there right now, except for the scratchy Gillettes at Walmart. I think the German Wilkinsons are equal with or better than the Merkurs.
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

balaka carbons.

im joking, im joking. NEVER try those blades. they cant even cut through water.
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

Gentle means different things to different faces, but the blade that springs to my mind is the Israeli Personna. The Derby may well be gentle, but I haven't tried any so I can't comment.

The Tesco blade I'm using this week (very similar to the Israeli, in fact we sometimes posit that it's the same) is "gentle" in that it needs less handling to ensure no nicks, but not "gentle" in that it pulls a little compared to the old stock Wilkinson Swords I like. There again, everything pulls a little compared to those.

The feather is "gentle" in that it melts through whiskers as if they aren't there, but can be not gentle in that some guys have reported a feeling of skin thinning after prolonged use.

In my world (and it's my world, everyone else just lives in it) I'd call a blade that pulls a little but has less risk of nicks, irritation and skin thinning a gentle blade.
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

Boyextraordinare

Prices are pretty steep compared to what I'm paying.
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

prices you say......those cheap ones you using worken for ya...hmmm? Even the Swedes at nearly $1 a blade are cheaper than the cartridge you used to use.....and likely cheaper than those Bic disposables too.

the blades every one has mentioned may be more expensive, but they work...that is what counts! If you are wanting to save money, you may have to trade off blade performance....unless the two cheapest recommended work for you....Crystal (about $0.10 per blade) and Dorco ST30 (as low as $0.05 per blade)
Boyextraordinare

I buy my Astra Superior Platinums locally starting at $1 for 5, with the price going down as the count goes up.