What is the leaflet with a Merkur Progress?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
zero

What is the leaflet with a Merkur Progress?

Post by zero »

I've recently purchased a Merkur Progress and there is a small leaflet which consists of one picture of the razor and the word "important" in red and a red line from this word pointing to the side of the head and a red line pointing to the adjustable knob.

Nothing else is stated, so I'm left wondering what this means.

I see on one side of the head there is an etched triangle and one dot on the handle.

Anyone know?

Thanks!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

You take the razor apart to load a blade and align the dot and triangle up when the razor is reassembled.
Regards,
Squire
Janus

Post by Janus »

If Squires answer wasn't enough for you, watch this video and all will be revealed.
Janus
zero

Post by zero »

Thanks very much for that Squire.

Thanks Janus. I'll take a look at the vid now.
cooncatbob
Vendor

Post by cooncatbob »

The only purpose of the notch and triangle is so the razor will zero properly.
If you put the head on the wrong way the exposure scale will read 180 degrees off (or 1/2 turn).
Martin

Post by Martin »

Squire and Janus, as per Mantic's video, I cannot twist the handle so that the spot lines up with the triangle, I just line up the spot on the handle with the spot on the adjustable base.

Look at my comment and Mantics reply on the 1st page, its the most recent comment on his video 2 months ago.

See what you think?.

Cheers
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

The spot on the handle isn't part of this.

There's a triangle on the side of the blade-holding base, and there's a scratch on the side of the removable head piece. Those two marks need to go on the same side.
Martin

Post by Martin »

yeah my triangle and scratch do match up, i thought the spot on the shaft had to line up with them as well?
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

No - the shaft doesn't twist. On my razor, that dot is 90 degrees away from the markings on the head.
Martin

Post by Martin »

ok, thats what mine is like too.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Sometimes when you put a blade into a Progress, it won't quite tighten all the way down to the number 1 on the scale. As long as your razor feels like it's working right, and the blade is set squarely in the head, ignore the imprecise numbering, and simply adjust for a comfortable shave regardless of what it says.
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

notthesharpest wrote:Sometimes when you put a blade into a Progress, it won't quite tighten all the way down to the number 1 on the scale.
Mine tightens past it. Way past it. :roll:
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Mine will not tighten less than 1.5
Regards,
Squire
cooncatbob
Vendor

Post by cooncatbob »

On a Progress, the ring with the number is a separate piece from the rest of the knob assembly.
In theory this is so before the razor leaves the factory the ring can be set so that the razor "zeros" with a bade in it.
Many Progresses don't "zero" properly.
Some people aren't bothered by this, to others it a major flaw in the design.
The number ring is held onto the knob assembly with a pressed fit and it is easy to turn the number ring to the proper position if a few percautions are taked to insure that the ring isn't damaged.
Determine how much the ring need to be moved. Wrap the ring with several layers of masking tape, put a witness mark on the tape.
Firmly grab the ring with a pair of pliers and rotate the ring the predetermined amount. Unwrap the tape and reinstall your knob.