Looking for New Razor - But I have concerns

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
jplawstudent83

Looking for New Razor - But I have concerns

Post by jplawstudent83 »

Hello All! It's been quite a while since I last posted, but I attribute that to the great info throughout the site.

Ok, so I have been using a Merkur HD, with varying blades (still looking for that blade for me), but I have not been so happy lately. This most likely is due to my technique I am sure, but I am still learning. However, I have been reading posts about the "aggressiveness" of some razors and have noticed that the Merkurs are usually included in being an "aggressive" razor. My skin type is very sensitive, easily irritates, and even on good shaves I still get in-growns. So I have been doing some research for a new razor, one that is better suited for sensitive skin. Now, this has led me to look at the Gillette Slim. The reviews on this are great, except there are some issues for me - mainly the used factor. A) I hesitate due to the health and safety concerns and B) I hesitate because of the age and possible conditions of used razors, which I couldnt find out about until I received it. So finally to my question: Is there any current/replica/whatever razor out there that is comparable to the slim, but I can find new? Or, in the alternative, can you wise gentlemen of the wet shaving world recommend a good razor that would benefit a sensitive skin guy like myself?

Thank you so much in advance and I look forward to hearing for you all!

John
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

For a mild razor look for the following:
NEW - Weishi or Lord Tech. These are based on vintage Gillette razors; the superspeed and Tech, respectively. Others may have more suggestions.

Used - Gillette Superspeed, or Tech. Possibly an adjustable turned down (as you suggested). My '57 Superspeed is VERY mild.

Used isn't a big issue if you either buy it from a member of a shave forum or get it at an antique store or flea market where you can examine it before buying. Besides, used razor are typical cheap enough a bad razor isn't a huge deal and with the possible exception of Merkur razors, better constructed.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

The used factor is not an issue for health as the razor is easily cleaned and sterilized to a degree far above the used forks you ate with at the resaurant. As for which razor I too have sensitive skin but over the years I have found the razor, blade and technique combinations that work for me. I can get a good shave from just about any razor now.
That being said I have had great luck with Gillette Slims. One of my favourites.
There is no question that Techs work great but the Gillette adjustables offer adaptability to various blades and they look like real shaving machines. If that is a thing that turns your crank.
Funny thing is that I have had some of my worst shaves when trying to get a mild shave. The milder aspect causing me to over shave in an effort to get a close shave where a slightly more aggressive shave would have eliminated a pass over sensitive skin.
The slim lets me play with that to get the best balance between mild shave and fewest passes resulting in an overall less irritated face.
Of the adjustables I find the black handled super adjustables the mildest by a little bit. The long handles suit me more than the fatboy but for some the fatboy gives them a better feel.
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
Ouchmychin

Post by Ouchmychin »

Why not consider an adjustable. You can dial in any degree of aggressiveness with any Gillette adj. That is not as easy with Merkur adj's. Unless set to about 1 they tend to be aggressive. I got a bottle of Maxzide at a beauty supply house locally. The attendent said that a fellow from the local health department recommended it for beauticians wanting to disinfect equipment. It's cheap too.

Ouchmychin (Pete)
Boyextraordinare

Post by Boyextraordinare »

The Weishi gunmetal is pretty damn sexy.

Is it lightweight or good?
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

As far as a brand-new adjustable for somebody who wants something that will excel in the milder end of the range, Merkur Progress is probably the best choice.

However, I think the old Gillette is probably better still for you.

A used razor in good condition and properly cleaned is not a health concern at all. A used brush, on the other hand, could be, since cleaning options for them are limited and imprecise.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I agree that a used Gillette is a good way to go, as there are still a lot of good ones out there readily available.

In a new non-adjustable razor, I think the Weishi is an excellent example of a gentle razor. You can get the Weishi with different finishes, but they are all the same basic razor and they shave the same.

I still favor a gentle razor, myself, as you can still get a close shave if you manage the angle of the blade just right. My chosen instrument now is the Gillette Tech, because I prefer a 3-piece razor. If my preference were a TTO (twist to open) razor, the Weishi might be it for me.

- Murray
Boyextraordinare

Which Weishi do you have?

How does it weigh compared to a Merkur HD?

Does the plating last?

LOL, for my next buy I want either a Weishi or Lord Tech. I'm leaning toward the Weishi because I want something TTO - my current razor is a 3-piece - and I love the gunmetal finish...
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

Hi Kaveh -

I just have the basic chrome-plated Weishi that comes with the travel case. The chrome finish is very good; in fact, it's superior to the nickel plating on silver-colored Gillettes.

The weight of the Weishi is more comparable to that of a Gillette Super Speed, though the Weishi may weigh a tiny bit more. It is definitely not as hefty as a Merkur HD.

The LORD Tech is all aluminum and too lightweight for me. I find that a little more heft makes it easier to feel the pressure on the blade. With the Weishi, you can "let the weight of the razor do the work." With the LORD Tech, you have to maintain a little constant pressure on it to compensate for the lack of heft.

- Murray
Janus

Post by Janus »

This has cured me of my vintage adjustable RAD, unless I manage to find one in mint condition.
Janus
Boyextraordinare

I think I want a Weishi.

They say "chrome-plated" on them - does that mean the chrome wears off?

The Tech long is too close to my Merkur Long-Handle - just a lighter, worse.

I really like the idea of getting a gunmetal Weishi...

How is it mild? The design makes for less blade exposure?

I'm already finding my fixed-headed Merkur to be a tad too mild...

But I really am in love with that gunmetal finish and the razor's appearance, as well as its TTO design.......................
Janus

Post by Janus »

Kaveh, if you think that Merkur is too mild, then Weishi might not be good for you. I find it much milder still than the Merkur. It does a good job with the Feather blades, though. With a less sharp blade I don't like it at all.
Janus
Boyextraordinare

So basically with a Weishi, it's best to balance out its mildness with a very sharp blade?
Janus

Post by Janus »

Boyextraordinare wrote:So basically with a Weishi, it's best to balance out its mildness with a very sharp blade?
That approach seems to work for me. It just might work for you as well, even with your Merkur. :wink:
Janus
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Boyextraordinare wrote:So basically with a Weishi, it's best to balance out its mildness with a very sharp blade?
There are so many reasons to like or not like a certain blade that this question can never have a definite answer. Anybody who gives a straight "yes" or "no" is automatically wrong. But it can work like that, sometimes.
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

notthesharpest wrote:
There are so many reasons to like or not like a certain blade that this question can never have a definite answer. Anybody who gives a straight "yes" or "no" is automatically wrong. But it can work like that, sometimes.
Agreed.

In my own case, for the first year and a half, I preferred a gentle/mild razor (Weishi or Gillette Tech) with a mild, forgiving blade (Dorco ST300). During the last few months, my preference has shifted to sharper blades, which seem to mow through the stubble a little more easily.

I find the fixed-head Merkurs too harsh, so I'm disinclined to recommend them to a new wetshaver. I think the Weishi is a far better razor for learning (or another gentle razor) and for shavers with sensitive skin. As I said before, if you get the blade angle right, you can get a close shave with a gentle razor.

I would note that the blade is flexed differently in a Merkur than it is in a Weishi, so if you made the switch you would need to position the razor differently to get the same blade angle.

Precise managements of blade angle takes time to learn. I would recommend, Kaveh, that you settle on a razor (the Weishi would be good), and stick with it until you have blade angle fairly well mastered. Switching between razors with different shaving characteristics will slow your learning way down.

- Murray
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

I would recommend a milder razor. Such as a Lady Gillette, a Gillette Knack, or a Schick Krona.

All are readily available on eBay (or from fellow forum members) and clean-up/sterilization really isn't an issue.
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

As I have become more comfortable with DE shaving over the years, I have come to the conclusion, that for the most part -a mild razor translates to proper blade angle.

For instance, when I first acquired a Fatboy, I thought is was aggressive at 3, and my Superspeed was just plain too aggressive - period and I only used it spariingly. As I became more experienced with a DE razor, it seemed to me that what I thought was aggressive was all about how I was raking my face :wink:

The question is whether one has the patience to develop the proper technique - notwithstanding hubris setting in.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

Get a Progress and dial it down to 1.5

I started out with an HD too, and found it too aggressive. Switching to a Progress was the answer.

Now I can go back to the HD and get a decent shave, having got my technique to a better standard on the Progress.

As ever, YMMV.
notthesharpest
Assistant Dean SMFU

Post by notthesharpest »

Hoos wrote:clean-up/sterilization really isn't an issue.
Well, you do have to clean it appropriately, but it isn't that difficult.