First Reasonably Good DE Shave

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

First Reasonably Good DE Shave

Post by mantic »

Gents--

As many of you know, I haven't exactly been a raving advocate for DE shaving. I believe a good prep, badger brush, and high-end cream are more important. I've made some foray's into the DE realm, with Vintage DE's or disposable "training wheels" but have always returned to the M3T after whacking up my poor face.

However, I've been giving DE shaving "one more try" with the inexpensive Zorrik DE I found at King Dollar last week, and a Personna blade. At first it was the same ol' thing...major cuts, nicks, and irritation. Then, this morning, everything seemed to "come together." I prep'd with a good shower and washed my face with QED Man Soap, applied some Trumpers Skin Food (something I hadn't done before), and whipped up some Coates Tea Tree. Other than a small nick under my nose and another at the base of my neck, I actually got a reasonably close (on-par with the M3T), comfortable shave. I did have to go back to the M3T to clean up my neck a bit, but I attribute that to my lack of experience.

Perhaps its my slowly-improving technique, the addition of the Skin Food as a pre-shave, the Personna blade hitting its sweet spot, or a combination of them all, but I may just survive this and stick it out for another week with the Zorrick.

--Mark
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Way to go Mark.
I can't believe I missed this post ....

Keep at it man... the rewards are great! You got a great prep happening (I read differing reports on the Trumpers skin food as prep, but I have never tried it) now it is all technique.
Little to no pressure,,, let the razor do it's work,,, short controlled strokes,,, for the first while skip the so-called against the grain shave and do 2 passes with the grain. Rinse your face well with 'hot-as-you-can-stand-it' hot water and build your lather agin... let it soak on your face for a bit and then commence your second pass (with the grain again-or same direction you used the first time). Your face and your hand has to get used to the new razor.... then stick with it like that for about a month. You'll be a proficient DE shaver in no time at all!!!

Way to go!!!

Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Hiya Larry--

*Nod nod nod*...its been going well. I've been using the cheap, plastic Zorrick DE for over two weeks now, with very good results (given the gear). In fact, I decided to get a Merkur Progress; waiting on delivery with bated breath :wink:

Using Trumper Skin Food (Limes for me) as a preshave as well as an aftershave has been working very, very well for me. I'm glad I sprung for a 200ml bottle from Robert at the Gentleman's Shop last year because now I'm using twice as much. For the first time in a couple weeks I used my M3 Power this morning because I had a three day weekend growth (I usually shave every day but circumstances didn't allow it this weekend) and the Power can really mow 'em down on the first pass (I turn it off for subsiquent passes). I used Skin Food as a pre-shave for this as well and got a zero-irritation shave (unusual when I use the Power).

I'm hoping to get the Progress this week so I will try to report my first impressions.

--Mark
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

I just received my Merkur Progress! Wow, that little guy is heavy! Can't wait to try it tomorrow morning; I'll post a report.

--Mark