Injector Woes

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
JimR

Injector Woes

Post by JimR »

Hey all. I just got a PAL Adjustable injector from a very generous man. I got some of the American NOS Injector II blades, but I'm having trouble loading the razor. The stem fits very tightly, but with some wiggling it went in. However, the blade only goes about halfway into the head and stops. I Can't see any obstruction, but I know SQUAT about these razors, and I'm wondering if there's some trick or something that I'm missing.

Any ideas?
haiti222

Post by haiti222 »

You cannot use double blades with the PAL adjustible razor. From the package of the similar Personna double blades:

Important: Injector II blades fit Personna Floating Head Razors and all injectors razors made since 1961 except razors with rinsing levers, Pal razors, and Personna stainless steel razors. Should these blades not fit your present razor send $1.50 and name and address to ASR and we will send you a Floating Head Razor.... (I wish!)........
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Post by L. Martino »

Hi there Jim,

The member who posted about the twins not being compatible with your PAL adjustable is exactly right. I also have some NOS Personna 'twinjector' blades (my favorite injector blade), and the package states those twins also wont work with the gillette 'hydromagic' types either.

Oh well, think of it as part of the learning curve.........I hope you didn't spend more than $200 on the PAL.
Martin

Actually, I think there's some schick blades that may be available in Japan, but I can't be positive.
JimR

Post by JimR »

*sigh*

Great. There are plenty of Schick blades readily available in Japan. I bought the IIs purely by accident. I didn't notice till I got home, and thinking "Oh, well, let's see how they work" I opened them.

Dumb, Dumb, Dumb.

Ok, problem solved! Thanks, Guys!

Oh, and the razor was free, so I'm not all that worried about it. The blades were 11 bucks, though....
cutting_edge

Post by cutting_edge »

The Injector II are great blades. Use them with a Schick injector razor, like L, M or N types. The PAL adjustable is not designed to fit the twin edge blades. If you manage to force them in there- you can kiss the razor goodbye.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

The Pal adjustable is unusual. There was a discussion here a very long time ago, where Themba posted some detailed instructions on its use. I don't remember much, but the main thing was that the correct setting is kind of the opposite of what you'd expect.

If you search for postings by Themba, you will probably find it, since he hasn't been active for quite a while.
Sando

Post by Sando »

Here's a thread from Dr Moss that I saved so I know what to do with my Pal. Themba goes into them at length. I find that the middle setting and a NOS blade is just right. Fine shaver.

Out of curiosity, is this broken?
I thought it was but somebody told me that's original. True?

...Ray
JimR

Post by JimR »

Sando wrote:Here's a thread from Dr Moss that I saved so I know what to do with my Pal. Themba goes into them at length. I find that the middle setting and a NOS blade is just right. Fine shaver.

Out of curiosity, is this broken?
I thought it was but somebody told me that's original. True?

...Ray
Thanks for the thread link, Ray! It helps a lot...
I'll have ot stock up on blades, since the IIs don't fit.

Also, yes. It is broken. I remember you mentioned something about that before, so I wasn't worried. I'll try to take a picture later...but it looks much the same as yours.
siouxsie

It's not broken!

Post by siouxsie »

Just an FYI...the razor is not in fact broken, they were made that way. I recently picked one up on the 'bay and found this link while researching. I contacted the seller who informs me every one he has ever seen is like this, including ones he broke the NOS seal on. He is sending me a photocopy of the manual for the razor, which describes the assembly as:

“*NOTE: The unique TENSION BAR (the stubbed metal sprig strip above the Pal nameplate) is precision flexed and never needs adjustment.” End quote.

So evidently it is part of the design.

Thanks again Teal for the razor and info!
Sando

Post by Sando »

Hi siouxsie, Thanks for the info. I just today met Teal who tells me the same thing. He's sending me a copy of the manual too. I'll post it when I get it. Interesting design, no doubt - make something that looks broken so it confuses the buyer. :? But I find it to be a good shaver.

And welcome to SMF!

..Ray
siouxsie

Post by siouxsie »

Thanks for the welcome. Yes it is very strange to design something this way, although I suppose they expected folks to read the manual and they would have had no idea about the secondary market that would evolve many years later. I mean who would have thought an entire industry would engineer itself in such a way that it's current products drive an entire segment of their customer base to prefer older, discontinued models! The search for expanding revenues I guess.
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

welcome.

where are the banshees?
siouxsie

Post by siouxsie »

D.Irving79 wrote:welcome.

where are the banshees?
Long since disbanded/divorced. :wink:

Steven is doing soundtracks. Siouxsie and Budgie divorced last year, so the Creatures is done too and she released a solo album. What will Budgie do? Martin is English rock cellist of choice after being in the band Therapy? and Jon is working with many different bands.

I have a push button gem and a featherweight, the latter of which I just used yesterday and found to be easier to wield than I thought and gave a great shave. Today I did have irritation on the sides of my neck which is where it always shows up when I mess up in the slightest. I'll have to go easier next time. Always a learning curve with a new razor/technique.
Last edited by siouxsie on Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

ah haha :lol:

with gem razors you have to be extra light when doing the neck b/c of the rigidity of the blade.
siouxsie

Post by siouxsie »

Thanks for the tip. I did find I liked the rigidity as it seemed to aid in a closer shave on the neck and chin areas than I usually get with a DE. I'll admit though that DE shaving did prepare me well with respect to technique and blade angle, although as you know the technique with a gem is almost the opposite. Still it was intuitive enough.
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

Well, Jim, I have an adjustable PAL injector and I've never gotten a decent shave from it. Now, inspired by your thread, I plan on giving it a solid couple of weeks trial run. Keep me posted on your journey.

All the best,
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey siouxsie, welcome aboard.
Regards,
Squire
Zach

Post by Zach »

paperpundit wrote:Well, Jim, I have an adjustable PAL injector and I've never gotten a decent shave from it. Now, inspired by your thread, I plan on giving it a solid couple of weeks trial run.
Not me, brother!
I've already been to the well!
JimR

Post by JimR »

Zach wrote:
paperpundit wrote:Well, Jim, I have an adjustable PAL injector and I've never gotten a decent shave from it. Now, inspired by your thread, I plan on giving it a solid couple of weeks trial run.
Not me, brother!
I've already been to the well!
I'm curious, what's the issue? Too aggressive, unbalanced, what?
Zach

Post by Zach »

A beautiful razor that's not worth the effort, IMHO; not nearly as nice to shave with as any of my Schick Injectors; I like the Bakelite best and I like an agressive razor