a suggestion for cleaning the razor

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
aaron71

a suggestion for cleaning the razor

Post by aaron71 »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0336064428

this is just a suggestion, but why not a ultrasonic cleaner? there good enough for tattoo guns and jewellery. why not razors be it str8 or safety? and as you can see for under 10usd isn't bad price or even check other ones?

P.S FREE shipping within the U.S
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

Some do use them....some prefer more classic methods. The ultrasonic cleaner is really nothing more than a vibrating bath. Most of the cleaning, and all the disinfecting, comes from the solution you place it in, not the vibrations. The vibrations only aid in removing small debris, most of which you can get off using your old toothbrush and save yourself the $10. The only exception to this would be cleaning the inside of the barrel on a TTO razor.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic
mmack66

Post by mmack66 »

Ultrasonic cleaners do a great job of cleaning DE razors. Cleans out the gunk that can't gotten to without taking a razor apart. Any disinfecting would be done separately, with Barbicide or similar. That cleaner in the OP would work, you would need a bigger, more powerful unit. I use one I got from Harbor Freight and it works great.
Mark
Hoos

Post by Hoos »

Scrubbing Bubbles and a soft toothbrush.

A soak in hot (not boiling water and NOT gold-plated razors) to get off more difficult gunk.

A quick soak in isopropyl alcohol to disinfect.

Easy, convenient, cheap.

I've never had a razor that didn't clean up fairly easily with the above steps.

I'll use Barbicide for razors I donate or sell. For the recipient's comfort only. I think it's a meaningless step for DE razors that have been cleaned.
Brent
Tondeo ergo sum.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

I use an Ultrasonic cleaner, but it's a much larger version than the one on ebay. You can do a Google search and find them all over the place with different wattages. Mine will hold four or five razors at a time and I use Barbicide or an Antibacterial Dishwashing liquid with hot water to clean my razors.

Look here for a conversation about cleaning them:

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13522

Enjoy your shave... :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
StockShark

Post by StockShark »

A short word of advice: IMO Scrubbing Bubbles is the ultimate cleaner for razors...BUT..keep it off the adjuster #'s on slims or fattys...trust me on this one!!!
The Shark
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Racso_MS wrote:I use an Ultrasonic cleaner, but it's a much larger version than the one on ebay. You can do a Google search and find them all over the place with different wattages. Mine will hold four or five razors at a time and I use Barbicide or an Antibacterial Dishwashing liquid with hot water to clean my razors.

What wattage would you suggest?
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

BullGoose wrote:
Racso_MS wrote:I use an Ultrasonic cleaner, but it's a much larger version than the one on ebay. You can do a Google search and find them all over the place with different wattages. Mine will hold four or five razors at a time and I use Barbicide or an Antibacterial Dishwashing liquid with hot water to clean my razors.

What wattage would you suggest?
They vary. Mine is a 60 watt. A smaller one will work and if you don't think it's clean enough, you can always clean it again.

I usually run mine for 30 minutes, and then turn the razors and clean them again. I always give them a good scrub with "Scrubbing Bubbles" after that. If needed, I'll give them a polish with MAAS and then another Scrubbing Bubbles to remove any polish residue. In a TTO model (somewhere in the process) I will soak it in Mineral Oil overnight and then rinse well.

Hope this helps...
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...