Does anyone NOT like the Slant Bar?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
jim

Extra close

Post by jim »

I enjoy my Vision every day, but when I want to go for the gold I'll finish with the Slant. Very smooth!

Jim
oel

Post by oel »

I shaved with the slant for 1 1/2 years. Then I switched to the Gillette Adjustable Fatboy, because I like the design of this razor. After a week I switched back to the slant, because the Fatboy cannot give me the same close shave like the slant.
One day I shaved with the Fatboy and after this shave I started a second shave with the slant and was surprised how much stubble still came off with this shave.
So: The slant is it for me!
Blue As A Jewel

Post by Blue As A Jewel »

I don't care for the slant. I tried mine a couple of weeks ago after a year plus of dormancy - initially got excited because I thought it was getting far more beard than my Progress - at the end of the shave my face was sore and not as close as what I can achieve using my other razors. In the end it is simply too aggressive for my face.
- Ravi -

You can mistrust me less than you can mistrust him. Trust me.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I stand by my earlier comment that the slant is an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem, however it seems to work well for some shavers. As a group we can reach a consensus on something like Harris Almond shave soap but the slant is something that seems to work for you or not irrespective of your level of shaving experience.
Regards,
Squire
mmack66

Post by mmack66 »

drumana wrote:Some say it's a gimmick... some say it's too aggressive. I disagree on both accounts. I like my Merkur Slant - it's really the only razor I use anymore - and I recommend it as a worthy purchase.
I agree with these sentiments.
Mark
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

My experiance is more or less like Ravi's, and my general conclusion regarding the Slant pretty much matches Squire's. They are certainly not for me, and I really don't see the point of them, but clearly, some shavers seem like them.
Regards,
Gordon
Drew

Post by Drew »

I have received my mint gold slant, and will give it a try for the first time over the weekend. I will report my experience after a couple of shaves (I kind of feel like I'm cheating on my redtip SS... she ain't been nuthin' but good to me :oops: )

regards
Drew
Drew

Post by Drew »

First shave with the slant (and a fresh Derby)...couple of nicks on my neck... but I see the potential of this razor. I'll use it a little longer to see if I get the hang of it. I kind of shaved at my usual speed, instead of slowing down a bit... I will know better for next time. I did feel a difference in cutting action vs. a regular DE. NEED MORE DATA POINTS!

Drew
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

Just ordered one. Curiosity got the better of me. That, and the fact that LesiureGuy recommends one as a second razor (especially for guys with sensitive skin and a coarse beard - my combination), and we rarely if ever disagree on razors or blades.
Gweezemeister

Post by Gweezemeister »

I bought all the Merkurs with the exception of the Vision and the slant is my everyday razor. I noticed a few comments that are worth noting.

1 -- Merkur screwed up my technique with other razors. I shaved with other Merkurs for years without any real complaints. By the time I got experienced with the slant I wasn't able to get the kind of shaves I got with the slant. Perhaps there's something to that

2 -- re Sideburn: I can't get that straight sideburn on account of the slant being, slant. I shave east to west and vice versa to get a straight sideburn

I use mine with a feather razor (haven't yet tried the Dorco or the Derbys but read Squire's reviews) and it works great. I have since purchased the barberpole slant and the gold slant and I love them.

I do plan to purchase the Classicshaving "cobra" when it becomes available. However, the slant will be a hard act to follow.

Andy
StockShark

Post by StockShark »

I will give up my BP Sledgehammer when they pry it from my dead hands! I only use it for headshaving...but IMO there is nothing that comes close to the quality of shave I get with it. As always, opinions vary...but I will never take another razor to my head since discovering the Slant.

Martin
The Shark
merkur07

Post by merkur07 »

When I first got my slant, I LOVED it. It always gave a wonderful shave.

The last few months, I have noticed that my shaves are less than steller with it. I have tried using other razors and various blades and still I find my shaves to be average and of the quality I had when I first started wet shaving two years ago. I seem to get my best shaves now from my Gem G-bar, but hate maintaining the carbon blade by dousing it with rubbing alcohol.

Not sure what to do now. I'm sad because I really do (did?) like my slant. :cry:
Robert
--------------------
Razors: Cobra, Futur, '59 Fatboy,Gem G-bar,Slant
Blades: Feather ProGuard/Polsilver/Trig Silver Edge
Brush: Merkur Silver Tip
Shaving Creams: Proraso Red and 50+ others
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

well robert i dont have a exact answer to your shave quality
but i know when i had the slant barberpole and a non slant barberpole
i experienced something similar

when i would use the non-slant for a couple or more weeks and then rotate to the slant version my shave wasnt at its very best either
but when i would use the slant constantly for a period of time then the shave quality would get back on par to my standards

it seems if your going to be a slant shaver there is a commitment to be true to the razor

even though you one uses the razor in the same manor there is something else going on maybe the plowing angle of the blade who knows but there is adjustment period

marc
merkur07

Post by merkur07 »

Thanks, Marc. I'm not giving up. I'll go back to the slant and try some more blades with it and keep at it. Thanks for your help.
Robert
--------------------
Drew

Post by Drew »

Well... I guess I've answered my own question to the thread topic... After several shaves with the Slant, I just don't care for it much. I got fine shaves, with a few nicks my first shave, and none there-after. But it wasn't as comfortable as my superspeed or Tech. Fine razor, just not something my face needs. I get shaves every bit as close with my non-slanted DEs, with more comfort.

I'm glad I tried the slant, though... one more thing to check off my list

best
Drew
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Drew, Well, there you go. The Slant is one of those things that almost every active member winds up trying himself at some point, regardless of what anyone else says ( chuckle ). And now you have.
Regards,
Gordon
merkur07

Post by merkur07 »

merkur07 wrote:Thanks, Marc. I'm not giving up. I'll go back to the slant and try some more blades with it and keep at it. Thanks for your help.
I actually took Marc's advice and have been using my slant exclusively. I can now say that my shaves are excellent once again. I have switched to an Egyptian blade and it's a joy once again to use my razor.

Thanks, Marc. :D
Last edited by merkur07 on Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert
--------------------
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

no problem that it what this forum is all about

marc
Gweezemeister

Post by Gweezemeister »

Hmmm...I am noticing that the latest reviews on the Cobra are coming and are not as good.

I'll stick to the slant. It's the only one that allows me to get away with a single pass.

As for it being an ingenious solution to a non existent problem, I guess I'd have to agree. I've used it for so long it doesn't allow me to go back to anything else with the same results. But if there were no slants I'd have taken any DE if that's all I had.

Then again, a DE might also be such an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem to the straight razor folk. Same can be said about Double blades, triple blades, etc. etc... You may have already noted this in previous posts that I have failed to read. If so my apologies if I am being redundant.
Andy
drumana

Post by drumana »

Gweezemeister wrote: Then again, a DE might also be such an ingenious solution to a non-existent problem to the straight razor folk. Same can be said about Double blades, triple blades, etc. etc...
Andy

:D Agreed!
-Andrew-