Aristocrat

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BeatlesFan

Aristocrat

Post by BeatlesFan »

My "go-to" razor is a 1948 Gillette Aristocrat. After another great shave, I decided it was time that I posted on this topic.

I've been DE shaving since the 1970s, and in that time I've used quite a number of DE razors, both from Gillette and Merkur. Based on reviews around here, it would seem that there are quite a large number of gents using Fatboys and Superspeeds, and relatively few Aristocrat users.

No criticism intended of any other razor, but for my heavy beard / sensitive skin combination, the Aristocrat seems to be the best fit. It's something about its solid, slightly heavy construction, along with its gentle head geometry. Just a winning combination for me.

I'm wondering if there are others out there who feel the same way? Also, if you have a heavy beard, this razor might be worth putting on your "wish list".
Gene

Post by Gene »

BeatlesFan...I had an Aristocrat for a while and sold it. Was nice, but didn't wow me. Now - in a box of goodies I won a while back I find a W-2 Aristocrat. I guess that puts it around 1951. It came in a case, with a blade pack, and the whole thing cleaned up nicely. I was thinking I would sell it, but maybe I'll put it in the rotation for a month, try it with some Swede's and see what I get.

The heft on the razor is very nice, I agree.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
UncleStu

Post by UncleStu »

Dad had a few razors, all Gillette(except for the straight razor & the Rolls Razor)- a flare tip superspeed, a red tip, a stubby travel razor- and then there was the one he shaved with daily, his Gold Gillette- never heard it called anything but that. I still have all but the red tip, dunno what happened to it, maybe one of my brothers has it? Dad would try something different once in a while, but he always went back to his Gold Gillette after a day or two. Once I started looking on the inet a couple of months ago, I discovered it had a model name- Aristocrat! :idea: It's a '48-'50 model, almost all the gold worn off the head, still mechanically perfect,& shaves great- it's what I used for my first DE shave in many years & got me started on all this RAD, BAD, etc. :lol: In more than one way, it's my "Gold Standard" for DE razors. I've since bought 2 Aristocrats on Evilbay- one is a beautiful wreck, crooked & won't close properly. :evil: BUT: The other has case, gold blade holder, & is a beauty in every way- for ~$25 shipped from Canada! :wink:

Aristocrats were Gillette's top-of-the-line razor, at least in the late '40'-early '50's. Remember, I'm talking about the heavy, non-adjustable post-war models. If you can find a nice one at a decent price- and remember, a dull most-of-the-gold-worn-off one can be a *great* shaver- do yourself a favor, get it, & then give it an honest trial. Take time to find the blade that your face & the razor agree upon. I've heard some say they're a little agressive- I can only say that Dad's old Aristocrat shaves milder than the SS flare-tip(~58-59 model), and a *Lot* milder than that old long-gone Red Tip- that one was a real face-chopper for me at ~age 16-17! :shock:

Viva Aristocrat! =D>
cooncatbob
Vendor

Post by cooncatbob »

When I 1st tried the Aristocrat it didn't agree with me, then a year or so later I gave it another try and with the proper blade (Derby, IP or Bic but no Feather) it's my favorite non adjustable TTO.
I have 2, 1 with the unnotched center bar (47?) and the other with a notch center bar but no date code (48-50?).
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

Uncle Stu -- My experience is much like your Dad's, I have this cabinet full of other DEs, but mostly I shave with the Aristocrat, because it's just that nice. But in that late 40s era my dad was a student, so that razor was never in the medicine cabinet when I was growing up, and I had to learn this all by myself. Lucky you for having such a good role model!

Cooncatbob -- I have the notched center bar and no date code, and I bought an unnotched Aristocrat for my son. Some of the conventional wisdom around here (read, Gordon) suggests that the unnotched is a bit more aggressive, but it works great for my son and I didn't notice any difference when I tried his Aristocrat. Both are just great, great shavers -- same as far as I can tell.

And, while it's true that most of the gold finish is gone from the head of my razor, the handle is still quite golden, and I think it looks like a million bucks. And shaves even better!
dash maverick

Post by dash maverick »

Gene wrote:BeatlesFan...I had an Aristocrat for a while and sold it. Was nice, but didn't wow me. Now - in a box of goodies I won a while back I find a W-2 Aristocrat. I guess that puts it around 1951. It came in a case, with a blade pack, and the whole thing cleaned up nicely. I was thinking I would sell it, but maybe I'll put it in the rotation for a month, try it with some Swede's and see what I get.

The heft on the razor is very nice, I agree.
In case you fail to be "wow'd" again, I'm on the lookout for a reasonably priced aristocrat, FYI.
Anthony

The Dashing Maverick
"mostly imitated, barely updated"
L. Martino
Voted (fill in blank) member of SMF...

Post by L. Martino »

Hi All,

I think the Aristocrat/Diplomat are great looking razors.......two of the nicest. I must have tried 5-6 different ones over a long stretch of time, and ended up selling each one shortly after buying em. The things just do not suit my face,.....just a little too aggressive for me. It's sad, because I like the razor's weight and the handle has a very nice solid feeling pattern for gripping.

Well, that's what I thought until recently, but now I'm not so sure about there being no solution. Since using a much milder blade than usual in some very aggressive razors, I've found they actually work better as far as comfort goes. The shave isn't quite as close as it could be with these open combs I'm experimenting with, but my face feels better afterward.

Next time I find an Aristocrat to try, I'll definitely use a blade like a Crystal or Red Personna instead of the usual feather or 7 0'clock blade I prefer in my fatboy. Heh, those gold razors are nice looking enough to try once again for a better shave with that type.

Martin
Gene

Post by Gene »

L. Martino wrote: Next time I find an Aristocrat to try, I'll definitely use a blade like a Crystal or Red Personna instead of the usual feather or 7 0'clock blade I prefer in my fatboy. Heh, those gold razors are nice looking enough to try once again for a better shave with that type.

Martin
Hi Martin,

I can't remember all the blades I tried when I had my first one - Derby and Dorco 301 for sure, Feather probably, Polsilver maybe.

Don't know - just looking for the WOW!, you know? But - I really like the Swede's - may have to give that a try.

I can't comment on the mild/aggressive - I routinely switch between a regular Tech (mild), a 1932 Canadian Tech (aggressive) and a 1955 red tip (aggressive); they all feel pretty much the same to me.
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
Occam

Post by Occam »

The President is the silver (maybe rhodium version) of the Aristocrat and for a while was my favourite razor. Certainly the best of the superspeed family in my hands... and if it weren't for the fact that I didn't want to wear it out so much may never have tried another razor.

Like you I have a heavy beard and recently have found high number Fatboy and Progress shaves to be just the ticket...
Ben

Merkur Futur in Au.
jayb

Post by jayb »

I have an Aristocrat from a good friend on this forum, and I reallllly like it! It's a toss-up between it and my red-tip as to which is my favorite DE, but I find that with a Swede or Red-pack Personna I can get one helluva shave!

My beard is also very thick and coarse. The Aristocrat mows through with NO problems. :D
Justin
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

BeatlesFan, The American Aristocrat is a nice razor, has a solid feel in the hand, and was the first model I acquired in my search for a heavier, 'fancier' Superspeed. I've had two or three of them but unfortunately, they were all too aggressive for my skin and my shaving style. The similiar feeling English made HD Rocket and Model #58 worked better for me in terms of comfort.
Regards,
Gordon