"goldtone" razor blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
gil3591

"goldtone" razor blades

Post by gil3591 »

i purchased a gillette slim adjustable razor on ebay recently and the guy thru in a box of unused "goldtone" razor blades. they are u.s.a. made and have a gold finish on them. anyone familiar with these? age? any good? gil
UncleStu

Post by UncleStu »

Goldtone? A brand name, or just a color? As I remember, the old Gillette Thin blades(carbon steel, red & black package, Dad used them occasionally but strongly preferred the Blues & then the Super Stainless etc when they came out) were a distinctive goldish-light brown color- but I've never heard of "Goldtone" blades. That doesn't mean anything though, there were *Lots* of brands of razor blades way back when. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will post soon. :wink:
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

the box is navy blue with a pic of a gold razor blade. the box says; "goldtone razor blade co." newark, nj. rust resisting blades. the blade is packed in a nice gold and navy striped paper. the blade is gold but silver steel colored where it's honed
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

also, the box says the blades are "goldenized steel" copyright 1940
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

gil, Those suckers must be pretty old. By the 1950s Gillette had pretty well bought out, or driven out of business, most to the smaller independent US blade makers/brands.
Regards,
Gordon
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

hmmm! maybe they have value? :lol: could be my ticket to early retirement! :wink:
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

gil3591 wrote:hmmm! maybe they have value? :lol: could be my ticket to early retirement! :wink:
there are actually quite a few for sale on e-mail....including full counter display boxes of em
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

are they worth trying? i'll keep them intact if they won't be any better then modern stuff. don't need my face to suffer for my curiosity :lol:
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Mmmm... perhaps blades once owned by Auric Goldfinger.

Cliff
"Everything that can be invented, has been invented."
-Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.