Ever dance with a COBRA ?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Cliff

Ever dance with a COBRA ?

Post by Cliff »

In reading over past posts I came across some info on the Cobra Classic injector. An injector shaped razor sold by Classic Shaving that uses a full disposable Feather straight razor blade. Long story short, I decided to get one and give it a try. Figured I’d blame you genius’s that wrote about it if it didn’t work…..or worse.

Well, the razor arrived and I was impressed. It seems like what was written was true, a well made, hefty good-looking, shiny razor. I loaded a Feather Professional (no wimpy Pro-Guard for me) and that was a story in itself. After my fourth attempt, I got the locking device set and everything looked in its proper place.

The next morning, I started my shaving ritual with the same trepidation that a prisoner would have entering the communal showers for the first time – yikes! I went for Taylors Avocado cream (the old formula) as that has always been a safe choice for my skin, I even added a dollop of Charles’s Shave Paste in my mix; I wanted the most lubricity I could get. Using the mantra of “use the razors weight, use the razors weight…..” I placed razor to face and viola, it worked better than I imagined. I kept my face wet, reapplied some lather and went again. After three passes, the last one gently against the grain – I was done. Placing the new Cobra on the countertop, I realized that I just had the best, closest shave – time to unclench my butt cheeks, I made it. I have to say, I thought I might be writing this with the title of; "Wetshaver Hospitalized by RAD". If you keep your wits about you and let the razor do the work, you should have no problem with the Cobra. However as some sage had written previously, this is not your first razor…unless you want it to be your last razor.

A day later, I had the same great shave with slightly less fear and anxiety. Although with this baby, I don’t think you should relax too much – a bite from this one would leave a mark!

I believe I might have found a design flaw, time will tell. The clamping mechanism that holds the blade in place has a ball detent with some type of hidden spring. I’m wondering if, in time, the spring will rust out and break – rendering the razor inoperable, after all the usage is in a wet environment. Anyway, time will tell. I’m glad I decided to give the Cobra a chance, it’ll be added to my rotation.

Cliff
"Everything that can be invented, has been invented."
-Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Good information Cliff.
Regards,
Squire
ichabod
Mackem

Post by ichabod »

I think this razor would have had hearts aflutter a year or two ago, but the cut down featherjector trick has waned in use and the Cobra doesn't seem to be getting the fuss it deserves. It was sold out when I last looked on Classic, so it must be selling okay.

It's a great razor, nicely designed and put together, and assembled with long term use and maintenance in mind. (It's also $125, which may account for some lack of a buying frenzy).
Give us the luxuries, and we will forgo the necessities.
Give a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, he'll be toasty for the rest of his life.
Dominic
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

ichabod wrote:I think this razor would have had hearts aflutter a year or two ago, but the cut down featherjector trick has waned in use and the Cobra doesn't seem to be getting the fuss it deserves. It was sold out when I last looked on Classic, so it must be selling okay.

It's a great razor, nicely designed and put together, and assembled with long term use and maintenance in mind. (It's also $125, which may account for some lack of a buying frenzy).
Yeah, I had to give it some thought to pony up $125 for it. But, it'll be fun for now.

Cliff
"Everything that can be invented, has been invented."
-Charles H. Duell, Commissioner, U.S. Office of Patents, 1899.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Now if only some manufacturer who knows what they're doing would make a standard injector for under $30...
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

I've been using the Cobra for about 2 1/2 months now. (I was one of the first customers to buy one)It is truly a fantastic razor and if used properly, will deliver shaves that are unequaled.
I wouldn't worry about the lever mechanism. I asked Will, when I was at Classic Shaving about the same thing, and he told me if it ever wore out to return the razor and they would replace it.
When you use one of these it's almost a different kind of shaving.
Enjoy your shaves with it!
Regards,
David
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

Pauldog wrote:Now if only some manufacturer who knows what they're doing would make a standard injector for under $30...
+1
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic
LeGaulois

Post by LeGaulois »

This Cobra is my favorite razor.