Comparable TTO to Merkur HD

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
swarden43

Comparable TTO to Merkur HD

Post by swarden43 »

I'm looking for something a bit different.
I currently use an HD that I am quite happy with.
I tried the Slant but found it a bit too aggressive for me.
I have an old Gillette Tech that was too mild for my taste.
Is there a TTO out there that is similar to the HD in aggressivness?
Take care and God bless,
Steve
joe mcclaine

Post by joe mcclaine »

Perhaps one of the Aristocrats or an Adjustable set to an appropriate level?

A Feather Popular is a fairly inexpensive (not cheap) option for a new TTO razor - some say it is mild, others say it is aggressive.

I'm not very good on the scale of aggression to be honest.

I know Tech = mild / Slant = aggressive.

:D

In fact, I'm not sure I'm the best person to ask . . . I'm just rambling.

Had a bang on the head today.
Last edited by joe mcclaine on Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
giammi

Post by giammi »

For me the HD and Gillette Superspeed (except the red one) are comparable in aggressiveness.

If you are looking for a adjustable, then the Progress might be a
option if you want to stay with Merkur products.
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

The Gillette Adjustables can get there and you have choices in handle length from Fat Boy short to Slim Adjustable medium to Super Adjustable extra long. You may find the head a good compromise as I find the Merkur Adjustables big for my face.
As mentioned the red tip SuperSpeed is another option in the vintage Gillettes.
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
Seamaster

Re: Comparable TTO to Merkur HD

Post by Seamaster »

swarden43 wrote:Is there a TTO out there that is similar to the HD in aggressivness?
Progress.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

the progess and the futur are both excellent razors but they are not tto's

but merkur vision is adjustable and tto

the barberpole is less aggressive than the slant and a real good razor

and the edwin jagger diffusion is a fine razor and not expensive but the barberpole and the ej are not tto.

originally the tto stlye was meant for no blade handling. many blades came in a case that allowed you to slide a fresh blade out and with the tto style one could insert a new blade without handling it.

these days blades are individually wrapped so even having a tto razor blading handling is needed

so re-think getting a tto it maybe just something else to go wrong

marc
Benjy85

Post by Benjy85 »

What does Tto stand for ?
Kind Regards, Ben
SRD

Post by SRD »

Turn to open
Benjy85

Post by Benjy85 »

Gracias
Kind Regards, Ben
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

TTO: Twist to Open, Turn to Open... Macht Nichts...

The Gillette Red Tip Super Speed is an aggressive razor for a Super Speed model. I find it comparable to the Merkur HD (not as good IMHO mind you) but comparable...

Enjoy your shave... :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
shill999

Post by shill999 »

I just acquired a late 50's Super Speed. I find it less aggressive than my Merkur 23C, the blade gap is noticeably different. I think the 23C has the same head as the HD. Anyway, it's a better shaver for me, at least while I'm learning.

Shawn
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

shill999 wrote:I just acquired a late 50's Super Speed. I find it less aggressive than my Merkur 23C, the blade gap is noticeably different. I think the 23C has the same head as the HD. Anyway, it's a better shaver for me, at least while I'm learning.

Shawn
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS SHAWN...
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
smoothshaver

Post by smoothshaver »

In my experience the Gillette Aristocrat (non-adjustable) is in the same range of aggressiveness as the HD. The weight is similar, too. The red tip superspeeds are more aggressive than either of these, and than the other superspeeds I've tried..
-Ed
glassmtn

Post by glassmtn »

I have a Gillette Aristocrat 1948-50 notched TTO. I find it somewhat more aggressive than the Merkur HD, but others mention they think they are in the same range of aggressiveness. I am not sure if it is a YMMV thing or if there was more variation between units back then. Whatever the reason, I think the build quality is awesome.

eric.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I agree with Vinny; an Aristocrat or one of the Gillette adjustables set up a bit higher, say at '6'. But remember, the thicker head will require a slight adjustment in the angle of the razor head to the face.
Regards,
Gordon
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

marsos52 wrote:originally the tto stlye was meant for no blade handling. many blades came in a case that allowed you to slide a fresh blade out and with the tto style one could insert a new blade without handling it.
I didn't know that, Marc! I always learn something new around here.

The one point I would like to add to this discussion is that the many various blades are not the same width. Giovanni has a brief discussion of that here:

http://www.razorandbrush.com/bladwidth.html

So it is possible for you to get the aggressiveness you look for with a mild TTO by moving to a wider blade with more edge exposure.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

GA, Yes, definately; that was the original pitch. Gillette introduced those notches on the sides of the center bar in 1948 to coincide with their introduction of the new blade pack where you slide the blades out ( like with the current Swedes ), thereby never having to come near the blade edge with your fingers. It was a big deal at the time, and other blade makers, like Schick, eventually followed suit, at least in the US. When I first started using Wilkinson Swords in '64 or '65, I was attracted to the 'old fashioned' motif of having to unwrap the paper from each blade. So, you see, by this time, the slide out dispensers were the norm in America.
Regards,
Gordon
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

Gordon, I always figured that the purpose of the blade dispenser was to minimize the likelihood of touching the edge, but it didn't occur to me that that was the reason for the TTO as well. It also didn't occur to me that they were both developed at about the same time. I never saw the linkage.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

Ben, stick a Swede in an Aristocrat and you'll never look back. I'm talking about the gold american TTO's with no adjustment. Mine's a 38 model. I've used a Futur, slant, 38c, Fatboy and various other models and nothing comes close. Mine has plating loss all over it but its built like a tank and I'll never part with it.
Tony

667....neighbour of the beast.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey GA, actually it doesn't quite work that way. Using a slightly wider blade to make a razor more aggressive would work only if every razor within a brand was made to exactly the same dimensions and we know they are not. Further, blade width is just one of the variables and not a very important one. What counts most is sharpness, smoothness, coating, steel type and quality of manufacture. A good, sharp blade will improve razor performance far more than a lesser blade that happens to be slightly wider.
Regards,
Squire