Merkur Slant Question

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Corrie Fisted

Merkur Slant Question

Post by Corrie Fisted »

Hi there,

I was directed to this site buy Benjy85 and thanks to him for that. I have spent the last few day reviewing this site and it is a great resource.

I have a quick question I hope you can help with,

I have been wet shaving for a a couple of years now now and really want to try a Slant. I have narrowed it down to the Merkur 37c or 39c. Does anyone have any opinions on which is better? I understand they should be more or less the same razor, same head but different handle.

I have an HD which I love to use, I find the shorter handle makes it very manouraveable, at the same time I also have a SuperSpeed and a Futur which also love. I find the long handle on these easier for getting the balance right.

I know your mileage will vary (always) but has anyone tried both and if so which would you buy?

Any comments would be much appreciated.
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

I would borrow one to try first. The slant is overkill for me and its easy to get razor burn. It definitely cuts close but its a love or hate razor IMHO. I've kept mine for posterity but I haven't used it for ages.
Tony

667....neighbour of the beast.
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

Best razor for a quick one-pass shave, IMO. That's its USP.
swarden43

Post by swarden43 »

Had one. Sold it. Too aggressive for me.

I'll stick with my HD.
Take care and God bless,
Steve
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

hi and welcome Corrie Fisted,

i have used both style slants .. i will not suggest one over the other but i can tell you they shave pretty much equal to one another.

and its only the handle style you have to choose. i think the 39C (barberpole) is a great design. easy to hold and well balanced. and the wieght of the razor provides all the pressure you could ever want.

the 37C (hd) also has a nice weight but i prefer the 39 style. i like the bigger longer handled razors

since you already had non-slants in the short and long handles it should be easy for you to decide whish will suit you best.

you can pretty much buy one without fear knowing either razor is easty to sell if you dont like or care for it after using it.

the slant is a interesting idea and does the job. but i wouldnt expect it to give you a better shave than the futur you already have, or for that matter even the other razors you now have. the slant is only something different to try and use.

some swear by them and others dont.

marc
Corrie Fisted

Post by Corrie Fisted »

Thanks for the replies, it's as much as I feared in that it is something different more than better....well it is better if you like it more (if that makes sense). I do get BBS shavesfrom al three razors I have but really fancy trying a slant.

I do like the longer handle so I think I will go with a 39c, been watching the bay and a few forums and they don't come up often. I see Paul at Connaught is on holiday till the 8th so if none turn up by the time he is back I will order one from him, gives me and excuse to try out the new soaps he has in stock.

So many products so little time and not enough money to try them all.
Baronet

Post by Baronet »

For me if I have more than one day's stubble or I want a quick one pass shave then the Slant is great.

Not an everyday shaver but a great tool to have .
I have the 39c.
Regards

Andrew
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Corrie, welcome aboard.
Regards,
Squire
drumana

Post by drumana »

I have the 37C, which works for me. I gather I wouldn't like the 39C since I didn't like the Barberpole. I think the Slant is a great razor to have around. Hope you like it!

And welcome to SMF!
-Andrew-
mycat

Post by mycat »

Before investing in a Slant try the Merkur 11C HD open comb. IMHO I think its a better shaver.

Corrie Fisted

Post by Corrie Fisted »

Thanks for the warm welcomes and advice everyone, very much appreciated.

You know something I had never even considered an open comb, thanks for that mycat. I will have a read of some reviews on those. I have just sold a bundle of stuff on the bay so maybe I will need to buy both and do a side by side compare.....

Yes I am suffering from RAD but how do you know what's best for you until you try everything?

Every time I think that I usually end up buying another Razor, or soap, or brush.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Try everything is my motto.
Regards,
Squire
mycat

Post by mycat »

If you really want to get nuts try the Muhle R41 2009' version. Unbelievable shaver. Lighter then the 11C but slightly longer handle and they have the head down to a science. And any blade works.

baldchin

Post by baldchin »

mycat wrote:If you really want to get nuts try the Muhle R41 2009' version. Unbelievable shaver. Lighter then the 11C but slightly longer handle and they have the head down to a science. And any blade works.
I took delivery of the R41 today. I like the longer and thicker handle, but would prefer it didn't feel so hollow. It's a bit mild for my taste, I'd prefer something with a bit more blade exposure. It's a nice easy shaver and gave me a pleasant clean shave. PCS :)

On the whole I'd say the fit and finish is better than Merkur. Though the head is almost identical.

The little brush is a bit kitsch but I really liked the shave cream sample. It was also packaged with a couple of "How to Shave" cards and a couple issues of a newsletter "The Shaving Mirror', which if the language was little stilted were still quite interesting and easy to read. Combined with a couple of new product cards it seemed an excellent presentation.

Delivery took 5 days.
Will

If it's smokin' it's cookin', when it's black it's done.
Corrie Fisted

Post by Corrie Fisted »

I am definitely settled on a Slant as my next razor but still undecided between 37 and 39c. I have to say the Muhle is a superb looking razor, beautiful piece of engineering and I think when I purchase the Merkr Slant three Merkurs would enough for now and I would like to try out another manufacturer.

I tend to buy about one new razor a year, not because I always expect it to be better but I just like trying the variety of razors and mastering a slightly new technique to suit the particular razor.

After HD then adjustables, slant then open comb the next logical step would be straight and I am sure I will try a straight one day in the future. Some would just go “straight to the straight” (heard a few straight guys says this) but for me it's the journey I enjoy

This was like the first cruise I went on I suddenly realised that instead of looking at the journey as an unavoidable obstacle to get to the destination, I could make getting there actually part of the fun and I am in no hurry on my shaving journey.
Corrie Fisted

Post by Corrie Fisted »

Just thought I’d update this thread in case anyone comes across it while facing the same 37c v 39C dilemma.

In the end I went for a 37C, the 39C weighs as much as my Futur and I felt that the shorter handle would allow a bit more manoeuvrability and I know I like the HD. I concluded I would make the Mhule open comb the next long handled razor I purchase.

I received the 37C last week from Paul along with 250 Iridium blades, some Feathers, a stack of Proraso cream and splash (which was on offer), and also some Arko cream. I asked Paul to include a sample of Tabac after shave which I have never tried and I like the way he gives you a decent sample, all to often the samples from the perfume houses and hard to use and small. I actually quite like the Tabac, not as “old man” as I thought it would be. Paul also added some Speick as an alternative which I also quite like. As always first class service from Connaught, ordered 2pm on Thursday and arrived 11:30 am on Good Friday, surprising that the delivery guy said they were as busy this Easter as they are at Christmas so they put some extra hours on, which was good for me.

Anyway I digress, onto the 37C.

The previous day I had a bit of a rough shave on the Friday morning, not being one to be easily out off trying a new razor I loaded the a slant up with a new Astra Platinum on Saturday and got a really good shave. I was a little more irritated round the neck mainly carried over from the previous day, but on the whole I was pleased. Next day I suffered the consequences of thinking I had mastered the slant in one shave. I zipped round my face and I think herein lies the issue with the slant (or the user). With no real cutting noise and a mixture of Prorarso I went for it and only after I finished did I see that I looked like I had the pox, it wasn’t a painful rash but it looked terrible.

I retreated to the safety of the Futur set on 2 for the next two days and since they were work days I didn’t go for a complete BBS. Having healed up for a I loaded the slant this morning with an Iridium with a mix of some Arko I took my time. WOW what a shave I managed to get, almost zero redness and even blocking my face afterwards only produced a mild short lived sting.

I am really looking forward to trying this razor with the variety of Blades I have and exploring which combination works best for me. If anyone is reading this thinking about a slant than I would highly recommend one. This razor will definitely be in my rotation and visually it is a thing of beauty, particularly how the blade is twisted. My wife looked at it then looked at me with that look of “You are a looney”.

I have also recently ordered a Savile Row 3824 brush and Dirty Bird Shaving scuttle so I have had a bit of a splurge recently but at least if Armageddon happens I will be clean shaven and smelling nice.

One thing I would add is when loading the slant do check that the blade is aligned evenly. With the HD it is a thoughtless process but with the slant I find that the blade can twist and be unevenly exposed along the edge. It is easy to do just look down on at the head from above and use the cap as an alignment guide to check the blade is evenly exposed when tightening the razor, trying to use the blade guard is not easy because of the slant in it. When the blade is in and tightened it doesn’t move but it was just one point I would advise any new slant owner to keep an eye on.

So a very happy slant owner and thanks again to everyone for the advice.
Gweezemeister

Post by Gweezemeister »

Good choice.

I have the barber pole for use at home and take the short (HD) handled Slant on the road. However, I find myself using the short handled one even at home more times than I care to mention.

Slant is my everyday razor but I went through all the Merkur heads (except the vision) before I chose to buy the slant. In fact, the purchase should never have happened as at the time (4-5 years ago) it was touted as a razor for those with sensitive skin and boy did I pay a price back then. I nipped nostrils and lower lips (curiously no nicks...well, slicing zits don't count).

Enjoy.

Andy