Any stores that sell Merkurs?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Sinatra

Any stores that sell Merkurs?

Post by Sinatra »

Does anyone know of a store where I could just walk in and buy a pack of Merkurs? I currently use DE blades made by Care-One (generic brand, made by American Saftey Razor Co.) and Wilkinson-Sword at the local Walgreens. I just want to try those Merkurs because I can only get about two shaves off of each side of the blade and I would like to try something sharper.

Pat
"Patriotism means to stand by the country. It does not mean to stand by the president."
-Theodore Roosevelt
DavidB

Post by DavidB »

Try a high-end cutlery store. There are a couple of those in our area, both in malls, that sell knives, decorative swords, scissors, and shaving stuff.

You could also try a Tinder Box, which is a chain of tobacco stores. With pipe/cigar smoking on the decline, they branched out to sell other "guy things," like walking sticks, flasks, and shaving gear.

Dave
Maynard

Post by Maynard »

Pat:

I've never seen them in a store--I think you'll have to order on-line. If you'd just like to "sample" one before placing an order, PM me your address and I'll mail you one. I think most people get about 7 shaves out of a Merkur blade.

Maynard
Cliff

Post by Cliff »

Depend on where you live. There are three that I know of in my area, two Stoddard's (cutlery shop) and Colonial Drug in Cambrige MA.
p_man

Post by p_man »

Like Cliff said, it's a matter of where you are. I'd guess that T&H in Chicago sells them, since they sell the razors. In San Francisco, Grant's Tobacconist on Market sells them.

Dave C