Bic blades newbie question??

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Blades

Bic blades newbie question??

Post by Blades »

I am thinking of ordering a 50 or 100 pack of Bic DE blades, but before I do I was wondering if there is another blade I should try?
I really liked the Bic's, got a smooth shave and they lasted 5-6 shaves before I felt it dragging.
Thanks for the help. I had a sample pack and Bic was one of two that I liked. A lot did okay, but I think the Bic was the best so far.

Jason
swarden43

Post by swarden43 »

Hi Jason.

You could try what I did. I like the Dorco 301 so I bought a pack of 100. I'll use these as the blade to come back to while I try others purchased via sample packs. Being able to come back to a trusted blade will be much easier on my face rather than trying sample after sample of blades that don't work, only to find out none do. I can rest assured my "next" blade will be a good one if that next blade is a Dorco 301, then I can sample another, always knowing that what works for me is standing by.

Make sense?
Take care and God bless,
Steve
fatcity

Post by fatcity »

Buy more Bic's, if that is what does the trick for you.

However, I would recommend: buy many, buy often. (to steal a Chicago phrase)

Acquire and sample, when it comes to blades. They are cheap. And there is no reason to limit yourself. Play the field.
HH
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

treet durosharps aren't bad. but i am now an official "super iridium" guy. to me there's nothing else like them :wink:
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Stay with the BiC's for now, especially if you already like the shave you get from them.

Being able to really judge a blade is best done when one has really nailed down their technique. To many of the online reviews are suspect to me because you never really now the experience level of the reviewer.

Squire's reviews here on SMF have set a new standard and are somewhat more objective even then you will be the only one who can decide for yourself.
Good shaving,

Gary
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jason, If they consistantly work that well for you I see no reason not to buy more, nor any reason to concern yourself over much regarding other blades.
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey Jason, buy in bulk, that's what I do. Bics are good blades and if you eventually find a blade you like better you will still have a reliable backup.
Regards,
Squire
Blades

Post by Blades »

Thanks for the info- Good idea about always having Bic's on hand, and trying other blades along with them.
I am using a Merkur now, and it is sharp- but I think part of it was my soap was thin. I picked up some Col. Conk's Almond and it was my first time using it.
Thanks again!

Jason
Blades

Post by Blades »

Best place to buy Bic blades, besides Ebay. I'd like to support someone we know.

Jason
rainman

Post by rainman »

I personally love the Bics. I got them for about 18 cents a blade(100 qty.) on the bay.
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

Blades wrote:Best place to buy Bic blades, besides Ebay. I'd like to support someone we know.
Get 'em from Paul at Connaught.
http://connaughtshaving.com/razorblades.html

Great blades. I love 'em.
Abyssos

Bic

Post by Abyssos »

I use another blades by BiC - Astor . They are stainless steel, while BiC are chrome platinum.
This is the economy-priced brand, made in Greece.
The blades are known for many years in my country, and are one of the most used here. This version is the optimal price-quality.

Image .

In my local store 100 pcs are $8 .
Blades

Post by Blades »

Seamaster wrote:
Blades wrote:Best place to buy Bic blades, besides Ebay. I'd like to support someone we know.
Get 'em from Paul at Connaught.
http://connaughtshaving.com/razorblades.html

Great blades. I love 'em.
Well I was going to order from Paul, but I'm on the wrong side of the pond. I'm sure they would ship to me if I paid them. :)
Anyone statside? I saw them at West Coast Shaving, maybe I'll get them there.

Jason
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Jason,

No trouble from either vendor, I wouldn't worry about the postage on razor blades. I just got 100 Derby's from Turkey in the mail.

Cheers!
Good shaving,

Gary
Blades

Post by Blades »

I have to get some more Bics, I finished with the Merkur blade, and started with a Treet this morning. I keep thinking about the Bic blades. :)
whitebar

Post by whitebar »

I shaved with a Bic for the first time this morning and got a nice smooth shave. Initial impression is that they are not quite at the level of my favorites like Super Iridiums and Swedes but I could be quite happy with these Bics as well. I look forward to using these again and seeing how they hold up after a few more shaves.
ChemErik

Post by ChemErik »

Get a bulk order of Bic's if you like them. Only warning I'd have on this blade is that, at least for me, they are very razor specific. By that, I mean they work great is some razors and feel very rough in others. All blades do this to some extent, but Bic's more than most in my experience. If you stay with just the Merkur, you should be set forever. If you decide to try other razors you may want to look at other blades again.
84.3% of statistics are made up on the spot.
gone down south

Post by gone down south »

I've got 200 on the way from westcoastshaving right now!
Blades

Post by Blades »

ChemErik wrote:Get a bulk order of Bic's if you like them. Only warning I'd have on this blade is that, at least for me, they are very razor specific. By that, I mean they work great is some razors and feel very rough in others. All blades do this to some extent, but Bic's more than most in my experience. If you stay with just the Merkur, you should be set forever. If you decide to try other razors you may want to look at other blades again.
Good to know about the Bic's. I am using a Gillette comb razor now, and have been for a few months. I had a few other razors to try, but the Bic blade in the Gillette worked very well- I might just stick with it.
Thanks again for the help.

Jason.
Blades

Post by Blades »

I finally broke down and ordered my Bic razors. I wish I hadn't waited so long. I was using some 3 bladed razor thing for the last month, and now I regret it. :(
I'll get back into the grove, soon I hope, I am getting too many bleeders.

Jason