THE STATE OF DE SHAVING

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
gil3591

THE STATE OF DE SHAVING

Post by gil3591 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:27 pm

i've been reading the recent posts about a positive find with a possibly new run of merkur blades. the thread has members making comments about the blades of the past and how they were better. this has made me wonder about the world of current de shaving. i started de shaving this past winter and am hoping this form of shaving will continue into the future. i am concerned that maybe we are at the tail end of de shaving. with the vast majority of men using cartridges it seems that most de blades are manufactured in parts of the world where the vast majority of the populace need a cheap form of shaving. if this is true then i see no reason why blade manufacturers would put any money into new and improved de blades.
shaving soaps and creams, brushes and aftershaves should continue but i wonder if the cartridge razor will eventually eliminate the de razor.
i would be interested in seeing sales info or trends. i wonder if gillette, derby, treet for example are seeing growth in the market or if it's a stagnant industry
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:51 pm

Gil, Well, that's right. The major makers of blades for shaving have plainly cheapened their DE blades for at least two decades now, putting all their emphasis on selling multi-blade cartridges ( and the more expensive the better ). The large bulk of the manufacturing of DE blades that they still do is directed at lower income areas of the world. The last actual marked improvements in DE blades happened in the late '60s and '70s. Where all this will lead in future, I don't know. There are some indications that there might be a modest increase of use in some developed countries, possibly partially because of the depressed economic situation. But it is something I wonder about. Most of the DE blades now being made are not acceptable to me so I am concerned that I, personally, might be eased out of DE shaving even if it's still technically possible to continue with it.
Regards,
Gordon

spinyeel

Post by spinyeel » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:58 pm

That's the beauty of S/E razors.You will always be able to get Pella's. :lol: :lol:

Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:39 am

I use old stock blades almost exclusively. I believe, although I have no hard facts to support this, that there exist vast quantities of old stock blades in warehouses, back rooms, closets, and dresser drawers. I think we will see them regularly on ebay for many years to come. The problem will be that the cost will go up, up, and away.
Rich

desertbadger

Post by desertbadger » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:38 am

Gil, thats one of the reasons, that if you find something that works for you, and your happy with it, say a certain razor and blade combination, BACK UP THE TRUCK AND START LOADING!
Regards,
David
Gotta have the "Fat"!

Seamaster

Post by Seamaster » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:47 am

Straight Arrow wrote:I use old stock blades almost exclusively. I believe, although I have no hard facts to support this, that there exist vast quantities of old stock blades in warehouses, back rooms, closets, and dresser drawers. I think we will see them regularly on ebay for many years to come. The problem will be that the cost will go up, up, and away.
I'm tempted to keep my stash of Swedes unused, dribbling them out in to the marketplace like De Beers dribble diamonds. Could be my retirement nest egg. :lol:

gil3591

Post by gil3591 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:59 am

desertbadger wrote:Gil, thats one of the reasons, that if you find something that works for you, and your happy with it, say a certain razor and blade combination, BACK UP THE TRUCK AND START LOADING!
that's exactly what i did. i stocked up on iridiums. my razors are way too cool to be replaced by a mach 3 . i would hate to have the day come when the guys on this forum are talking about the great mach 3 handle from ej vs a look a like from t&h :cry:
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer

iancevans

Post by iancevans » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:59 am

Get a straight, learn to maintain the edge, and drop off the grid.
Ian

"Anything less than the best is a felony"
--Vanilla Ice

BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:51 pm

We've had this conversation, in one form or another, around here in a number of postings.

(Ironically, I started wondering about the possibility of DE blades disappearing from the shelves in (if I recall) 1977, but (as this forum demonstrates) the DE is still going strong as a shaving option.)

I'm of the view that the Derby is a lovely blade, and I prefer it to (for example) the Swedish Gillettes and the blades I used to buy back in the 1970s. So I don't really share this view that the DE world is in a fallen state. I think that excellent blades are currently on the market, and -- in fact -- the internet makes the whole world of DE options available in a way that the drugstore of yesteryear did not.

I'd add that, if one prefers an ultra-sharp blade, Feathers don't seem to be in danger of disappearing anytime soon. Moreover, Feathers aren't made in a back alley in Nigeria or in a garage in the Ural mountains, but rather are from that most technologically advanced nation, Japan.

So my message is: Don't worry, be happy. I reckon DE blades will be around for the long haul.

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:29 pm

Laying in a lifetime supply is my move.
Regards,
Squire

sparkster123

Post by sparkster123 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:56 pm

Squire wrote:Laying in a lifetime supply is my move.
i with ya squire. thats why i like your reviews as i like a selection to choose from. it is enjoyable to have a selection of top notch blades to choose from. which blade will i shave with next.

i have 12 different brands and of the 12 i have stocked up on 8. for cost i would be just fine with the treet dura sharp. i just really enjoy this blade.

and of the 12 i was just super unhappy with are the walmart personnas and merkurs. i am going to give them another try but doubt i will order more.

randy

Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:01 pm

Squire wrote:Laying in a lifetime supply is my move.
You must plan on living a loooooonnng time.

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:00 pm

That's also part of the plan.
Regards,
Squire

J T

Post by J T » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:01 pm

Squire wrote:That's also part of the plan.
+1 Excellent Plan
~ Jack

rainman

Post by rainman » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:41 pm

Tip: Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.
Last edited by rainman on Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:31 pm

Ian, Well, that was always the ultimate fall back strategy in the back of my mind, but after two go-'rounds with straights I'm afraid it's not a viable option for me....more's the pity.

BeatlesFan, What can I say?...I envy you. But for me, Derbys, and most of the current production stuff just doesn't do it. I couldn't/wouldn't use most of those blades on a daily basis. Probably, if I was smart ( and had more lose change ) I'd take the above advice and just really load up on vintage blades and anything else that I can use....just buy a few thousand blades and forget about the whole issue....sigh.
Regards,
Gordon

King-D

Post by King-D » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:38 pm

In these tight economic times, the novelty and frugality of DE shaving may take hold as a genuine fad. (I should say "apparent" frugality, knowing well that any man will soon justify a $75 brush, $30 tub of cream, and a $25 sampler pack of blades) Then we'd see an abundance of quality blades. Can you picture the Gillette "Mach 1"?
David

Shave in the shower!

BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:38 am

BeatlesFan, What can I say?...I envy you. But for me, Derbys, and most of the current production stuff just doesn't do it. I couldn't/wouldn't use most of those blades on a daily basis. Probably, if I was smart ( and had more lose change ) I'd take the above advice and just really load up on vintage blades and anything else that I can use....just buy a few thousand blades and forget about the whole issue....sigh.
Regards,
Gordon
Gordon --

I understand that it's a concern when your preferred product becomes scarce.

But, I was just wondering, whether any of the sharpest blades might work for you?

What comes to mind, for example (in no particular order) as a list of possibles, might be:

* 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge
* Astra Keramic
* Kai
* Polsilver
* Super Iridium
* Tesco
* Treet Classic Dura Sharp Coated
* English Wilkinsons

Among those options, are any of them suitable for you? I know the Feathers are too harsh for you (as they are for me), but I would have thought at least some of those blades might fit the bill.

If not -- dare I say it?? -- the Panasonic Wet/Dry electrics actually do (IMO) provide a shave that is (1) as close as a blade, and (2) very comfortable. It is noisier (obviously), and it feels less "clean" (it just kind of smears the lather around and it probably doesn't exfoliate as well). But the shave is surprisingly good when used on a properly prepped and lathered face.

Thoughts?

Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:50 am

Except for Tesco all those brands work for me.
Regards,
Squire

Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:57 pm

For me, the idea of an electric is to have a quick "emergency" shave with no water. If I'm going to lather my face, I might as well use a razor.

Gordon, we always have the injector razor as a fallback, especially now that Schick seems committed to making good blades. If I didn't have so many DE blades lying around, it would be my first choice.

It surprises me that Schick went to the trouble of moving their production of injector blades to China when they don't make the razor any more. I suppose most of the surprise comes from the fact that barber supply stores and other commercial places only seem to have injector blades from Amercan Safety Razor (Personna).

An even bigger surprise is the easy availability of single edge blades in packaging obviously intended for shavers.
Last edited by Pauldog on Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.