I tried a disposable Bic sensitive......

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

I tried a disposable Bic sensitive......

Post by StGeorge »

and my beard destroyed it. At least thats the impression I got. I didn't get a very close shave but it didn't irritate like a cartridge. I'm sure I could almost hear the blade disintegrating as I dragged it around. I know some people find these alright but I wasn't particularly impressed myself.
Tony

667....neighbour of the beast.
Gene

Re: I tried a disposable Bic sensitive......

Post by Gene »

StGeorge wrote:and my beard destroyed it. At least thats the impression I got. I didn't get a very close shave but it didn't irritate like a cartridge. I'm sure I could almost hear the blade disintegrating as I dragged it around. I know some people find these alright but I wasn't particularly impressed myself.
Tony...+1 on that. I bought a bag of them on a trip last year, wanting to try one, and I was not impressed. On the thought that with improved techniques I might like it better I tried one again about a week ago...still hated the thing.

Another YMMV, for sure!
Gene

"It could probably be shown by facts and figures that there is no distinctly American criminal class except Congress."
Mark Twain

"People shouldn't be afraid of their government. Governments should be afraid of their people."
Alan Moore
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

I'm not a big fan. I can get a decent shave, but that's about it...the original (all white) I thought was great, but the orange ones just don't do it for me...

That said, I think the point of the orange ones might be a one-pass, with-the-grain shave. My problems come when I try to go ATG.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

paperpundit wrote:I'm not a big fan. I can get a decent shave, but that's about it...the original (all white) I thought was great, but the orange ones just don't do it for me...

That said, I think the point of the orange ones might be a one-pass, with-the-grain shave. My problems come when I try to go ATG.
I think I was down to the plastic by the time I tried ATG :lol:
Tony

Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

paperpundit wrote:...the original (all white) I thought was great, but the orange ones just don't do it for me...
I don't think this can be stated enough. The Original shaver and the Sensitive are two very different beasties. The originals worked with ease. ( the combination of head shape and blade angle made using one a no-brainer ) The Sensitive model just does not work nearly as well.
~Greg
paperpundit

Post by paperpundit »

...and I still have a virgin pack of Origins sitting around the house.

I just tried their three-blade sensitve no-pivot model (it must have been a mix-up and delivered to a local Target by mistake). So far, two days, no ingrows and just a few bumps. But they seem to control the blade exposure by "sinking" the three blades a little deeper in the head.
Jack

"All you need is love, love...love is all you need."
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

I can simulate all of the above, with my choice of several blades, using my Super Adjustable.

The combination that suits me best may not be exactly like any of the above, either.
J T

Post by J T »

Tony

Give the Bic Metal a try, a very different shave.
~ Jack
Tommy C

Post by Tommy C »

Luckily I can't find any of these razors in my area.... Just can't get into another exploration. :lol:
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

I tried the bic. no comment :P

Clive
de gustibus non est disputandum
StGeorge
I'm not worthy

Post by StGeorge »

J T wrote:Tony

I'll keep an eye for it, thanks.
Tony

Flash G

Post by Flash G »

J T wrote:Tony

+1
I much preferred the Metals
Eric
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I like Bic Sensitives. They are very light, so you should not make an error of applying a pressure. I get a closer shave though with my HD. Has to be a technique thing.
Jarmo
Scrapyard Ape

Post by Scrapyard Ape »

JarmoP wrote:I like Bic Sensitives. They are very light, so you should not make an error of applying a pressure. I get a closer shave though with my HD. Has to be a technique thing.
Maybe you can sweet-talk Jack into sharing one of his precious few remaining Originals with you?
~Greg
scaryshoes

Post by scaryshoes »

Try using the Personna disposables. They are available readily at my supermarket, and I have found that they last much longer, and seem to give me at least a better shave, YMMV of course....
Anthony

God is good all of the time.

Post by ajsaxs »

I agree. Great for travel.

The personnas seem to work better for me as well.
MiloFinch

Post by MiloFinch »

Yeah, I didn't like them much either. I want to get my hands on some metals though and give those a try.
-David
Now go and watch Raiders.
sebell

Post by sebell »

Now, I think there's an important missing piece here:

Bic Sensitives are not for close shaving, period.

That's the point, and why they're called `sensitive'. I
would only use them for travel situations where I just
couldn't bring something else, and two quick passes
are the best that I can get out of them. The resulting
shave is still worse than a single DE WTG pass, but
there is never any irritation.

- Scott
Brett G
Viscount Krona

Post by Brett G »

None of the Bic single bladed razors (including the Metal) cut well for me. If I'm going to use a disposable it is the Bic Twin Select (also packaged as Silk Touch in pastel colors.) The extra blade helps them cut better yet they are still very mild. As long as you don't have a multi-blade hang up I recommend them if the single blade Bic isn't getting it done.
Brett