Trac blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
KevinBoatang

Trac blades

Post by KevinBoatang »

Hello all,

Having looked about for stuff about Trac razors, I found that other than the Gillette blades there are also Merkur and apparently Feather ones too.

Are these actually any better?
Being me is a full time job

www.BoatangDemetriou.com
divotmax

Post by divotmax »

The Merkur cartridges may be better than their DE blades. Didn't know that Feather made Trac II cartridges, and would like to find out where to get them. I think Schick cartridges that work with Trac II and some by Personna are still out there, and they are fine.
BobS

Life is too short not to use a sharp blade and a good brush.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Most store brand Trac II blades are Personna (American Safety Razor). I used to find them sometimes in dollar stores.
mycat

Post by mycat »

I am finding that store Trac11 cartridges are duel purpose. They fit the Trac11 and Atra handle as well. The interesting part is some say made in Korea(Hannaford and Winn Dixie) so possibly being made by Dorco?
I have the Hannaford brand and they are decent.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Probably Dorco, how do they shave?
Regards,
Squire
mycat

Post by mycat »

Very good and the ones I bought at Hannaford were under $3 for 10. However I only use them once in a while and in my Atra handle or better known as the Contour(I bought 2 Gillette handles shipped from Singapore)
This seems to be the trend making duel cartridges. Comes out cheaper for the manufacturer.
MiloFinch

Post by MiloFinch »

I wish I could find a Trac II handle. I've been looking for ages. I guess it's just one of those things I'll never see again.
-David
Now go and watch Raiders.
rsp1202

Post by rsp1202 »

I couldn't bring myself to pull the trigger on the Singapore-sourced original handles offered on eBay; the closer-to-home offerings were just too expensive. The imitations, well, who knows what you're getting. On the other hand, the Bump Fighter handle takes all the T2-type cartridges and isn't too bad, just bulky. A little finicky to load, too.
Ron
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

MiloFinch wrote:I wish I could find a Trac II handle. I've been looking for ages. I guess it's just one of those things I'll never see again.
Pauldog might have a few. I also saw them here:
http://www.shavethis.com/perahaforgit.html
Ed
mycat

Post by mycat »

Plenty of sources to get Trac11 handles
Stitch306

Post by Stitch306 »

I recently was a little disillusioned with DE shaving cos I was having a nightmare trying to find the right blade, I could only ever get too close or not close enough. I even resorted to my old mach3 for a bit but then I read a few comments about the trac II and thought it might be worth a go. What I ended up with isn't exactly a trac II, I got the personna trac comparable blades and a bump fighter handle. I used this concoction today and I have to say it's the best shave I've had in a while!
Chris

"When you are courting a nice girl an hour seems like a second. When you sit on a red-hot cinder a second seems like an hour. That's relativity." - Albert Einstein
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

scruffy wrote:I also saw them here:
http://www.shavethis.com/perahaforgit.html
That's a travel kit with a temporary lightweight plastic handle. Sometimes you can find them at dollar stores, too.

On eBay, "real" Gillette Trac II razors command a premium, while ones that are pretty much just as good, from other major manufacturers, tend to go for a lot less.

What's really expensive are the all-metal Atras.

By the way, the dual-purpose Trac II/Atra blades make no difference with a Trac II, but the pivot on an Atra razor will probably be somewhat less than with an Atra-only blade.