Wilkinson "The Blade" stainless?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Shave4Fun

Wilkinson "The Blade" stainless?

Post by Shave4Fun »

Morning guys,

Question about Wilkinsons: Is "The Blade" stainless? I know it has the billed "Chromiun Edge", but it appears to be stainless. If not, do any of you know when Wilkinson switched to stainless as their main blade?

Thanks,

Roger
Roger

I've been a wet shaver for 56 years! 8)
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Roger, it's stainless. At what time they switched though is something someone else will have to answer.
Regards,
Jani
beyboo

Post by beyboo »

In India we get Wilkinson Sword - Stainless as well as Chromium plated. The brand belongs to Gillette. The chromium is a super smooth shaver too.
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

What I am talking about here is the Light Brigade "The Blade" made in the 1970's or so.
Roger

Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

Aztecface wrote:Roger, it's stainless. At what time they switched though is something someone else will have to answer.
Jani,

Are you speaking about the ol Light Brigade blades?

Best,

Roger
Roger

Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

Roger, it's a fair enough question. I just checked my Light Brigades and the word "stainless" is not to be found on the packaging, wrapper, or the blade. I have to believe that they are indeed stainless. I have tried several different carbon steel blades, coated and uncoated, and the LB is just too smooth and sharp to not be stainless.

These are the blades to which I refer:
Rich
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Rich, just seeing that pack of blades really brings back the memories.... :cry: As Gordon would say...(sigh)
Regards,
David
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Roger, yes.
Regards,
Jani
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

Chromium is the main alloying agent in stainless steel. The stainless steel used in making blades is anywhere from 9% to 14% chromium.

The marketing weasels use the term chromium because it sounds fancier than stainless.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Roger, Wilkinson INVENTED the stainless blade for heaven's sake! ( chuckle ). Well, not technically perhaps because supposedly Gillette originally did some work on them but convinced themselves that they wouldn't sell. Then Wilkinson zapped them ( and as a result ultimately led to Gillette looking elsewhere and eventually coughing up the Trac II ). I've read that the stainless Wilkinson blades made their first appearance in Britain in 1958, but I don't recall them showing up in the US until the early '60s. The 'Light Brigades' were sold mainly in the '70s and '80s and are, IMO, the pinnacle of DE blade technology and quality.
Regards,
Gordon
brz90

Post by brz90 »

This is a little nugget from a contributor to a UK discussion forum I check out from time to time - money saving expert - which confirms what I've long thought that the reason the old Wilkinson - and probably Gillette - blades were so much better was because they used a rather higher grade of stainless steel than their competitors and quite possibly a grade better than anything else around today:
'I once worked for Wilkinson Sword at their Cramlington, Northumberland factory. They made Boots own brand razor blades, using thinner steel made in Sweden. Quality control was the same. This was ages ago, though.'
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

Thanks brz90 for that post. It confirms something that I have suspected for awhile. I have some old stock Boots blades and they shave just like a Wilkinson. Now I know that they are actually Wilkinson blades.

Rich
hamelfarm1

Post by hamelfarm1 »

Straight Arrow wrote:Thanks brz90 for that post. It confirms something that I have suspected for awhile. I have some old stock Boots blades and they shave just like a Wilkinson. Now I know that they are actually Wilkinson blades.

I think the current Boots blades (in the orange pack) still are made by Wilkinson - certainly the last pack I bought (in the new year) were made by Wilkinson. Of course, they're not the same quality as the old Light Brigade blades, but they're still pretty good.
Steve
Aztecface

Post by Aztecface »

Steve, they are the exact same blade as the German Wilkinson's with the golden 5 below.
Regards,
Jani
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

How do these blades compare with the German made Wilkinsons? I stopped by a local grocery store and saw 5 packs on sale, when I looked on the back of the package it stated 'Made in Germany.' Wasn't sure how they were.
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Ecosse wrote:How do these blades compare with the german made Wilkinsons? I stopped by a local grocery store and saw 5 packs on sale, when I looked on the back of the package it stated 'Made in Germany' Wasn't sure how they were.
Gary, that ones a crapshoot. Personally, I've tried the German Wilkies and found them to be rather harsh and not nearly as smooth as the English version. However, there are guys on the forum that do like them.
Regards,
David
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Gary, They have nothing to do with the Light Brigade Wilkinsons, any more than the US sold Gillettes have anything to do with the 'Swedes', The current, German made, Wilkinsons are harsh and mediocre at best.

Well, I have no reason to doubt that a higher grade of steel was being used in those days, and I also think that the coating process was more sophisticated and done more carefully, as was QC in general. You can see that even in how the blades were wrapped and in how the plastic dispenser was made.
Regards,
Gordon
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

Have there been any sightings of Chinese Wilkinson (or Schick) double edge blades? Since Schick and Wilkinson have been combined, and Schick now makes injector blades in China, it's possible that Wilkinson and Schick double edge blade production would also be moving to China.
beyboo

Post by beyboo »

These are 3 Wilkinson Sword blades from Gillette India. They are middle-low category blades.

The chromium are super smooth blades, followed by the stainless and finally the saloon which is good for a shave or two only.

bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yes. These also have nothing to do with the old 'Light Brigade' Englsih Wilkinson blades. In fact, curiously, although the 'Wilkinson' name is owned by Enegizer in most of the world, in India it is owned by P&G/Gillette.
Regards,
Gordon