Merkur Futur -1st Impression

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BullGoose
Vendor

Merkur Futur -1st Impression

Post by BullGoose »

After hearing so many rave reviews of the Merkur Futur, I finally broke down and had to try one for myself. I loaded up my new satin Futur with a Gillette Yellow and set it on 2 figuring that I better play it conservatively for the 1st shave.

The Futur did not disappoint. It is such a heavy instrument that it kind of reminded me of mowing the lawn with a power assisted mower. In other words, the razor did all of the work and I was just along for the ride. That being said, the Futur gave both auditory feedback (the trademark singing blade) and tactile feedback while I effortlessly removed stubble.

My shave was excellent (irritation free and BBS). After I get a little more mileage with the Futur I may try dialing it up but, it certainly is not necessary.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Love that singing
Regards,
Squire
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Squire wrote:Love that singing
Me too. I should have listened to you sooner.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

congrat on the futur

i have used a futur as my only razor for ten years plus

last year i changed to edwin jaggers (which i love) i changed because i was having trouble with the wieght of the futur because of health issues

now i am pretty much over all the issues and back using the futur
its great

i get great shaves for merkurs and ej's but when i use the futur what i like best is even after 12 hours i seldom have stubble

many razors shave me good but my stubble starts to appear after 8 hours or so the ej's with a fresh blade i can get 10 to 12 hours

but the futur shaves so well most days i dont feel stubble way past 12 hours i have gone 18 hours and thats amazing

i never set mine higher than 2 1/2 expcet with feathers i use setting 3
lately i have been fine at 2

enjoy enjoy a true shaveing machine

marc
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

The Futur is a top notch whisker wacker.
Regards,
David
bavi

Post by bavi »

man all this positive Futur talk is making me put it on my "to buy list". now to get the negative funds, postive.
Hello
Shyrlock

Post by Shyrlock »

Yes Sir Bullgoose,
For me the Futur is the finest shaver around.
I have razors that are prettier and/or more nostalgic, but for the closest, cleanest, most irritation free shave, I'll take my Futur evertime.
Also, it seems to shave wll with a wider variety of blades than some of my other axes.
Congradulations and enjoy your fine new tool.
Mike
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

The ergonomics of the Futur are amazing. It seemed to automatically assume the optimal blade angle and it was truly an effortless shave. I was a little worried that shaving under the nose would be a challenge due to the size of the Futur but even this task was effortless.

- Phil
desertbadger

Re: Merkur Futur -1st Impression

Post by desertbadger »

BullGoose wrote: My shave was excellent (irritation free and BBS). After I get a little more mileage with the Futur I may try dialing it up but, it certainly is not necessary.
Bullgoose, you'll probably find out like the rest of us, a setting between 2 & 3, (sometimes even less) depending on the blade being used, is more than adequate for a BBS. Personally, I've never gone past 3; no need to.
Regards,
David
Shyrlock

Post by Shyrlock »

I agree Badger.
2-3 is the best range. One time though, I got brave and decided to try it wide open. I had a brand new, hand stropped Super Iridium in it.
After a really good prep I started shaving, very gingerly.
It was an amazing shave. It was like a straightrazor with a 90° handle on it. I manged to shave my face completely with no blood letting, however I did stop and apply fresh lather a couple times. It was one pass only.
The end result? The closest shave I have ever gotten with a safety razor.
Would I do it again? Maybe, but not for a while. The shave ended up taking me about 45 minutes and my butt was chewing on my shorts the whole time.
A setting from 2-3 is truly the best.
Mike
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I rarely go above 2.
Regards,
Squire
Joe Lerch

Post by Joe Lerch »

It's a great razor. I used mine for several years before I went above 3. Guess what. It gets very aggressive above that. That is, it does with all blades except Feathers (I haven't tried the 7 o'clocks).

Amazingly, both the Futur and slant match up perfectly with Feathers. Both of these razors become amazingly smooth. You can use the Futur all the way open. Also, I'll put that shave up against any str8 shave.

Enjoy it!
Joe
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

The thing that really amazes me is how smooth my face is 8 hours after the shave. I used the Futur again this morning and had equally good results. The Futur definitely gives the best shave I have ever experienced!

- Phil
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

BullGoose wrote:The thing that really amazes me is how smooth my face is 8 hours after the shave. I used the Futur again this morning and had equally good results. The Futur definitely gives the best shave I have ever experienced!
Yep, BG, that's why we "sing" it praises. It's remarkable what can be accomplished with it and so easily. Also, IMHO the overall size of it contributes greatly to the shaving ablilty; it just wacks the whiskers.... 8)
Regards,
David
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

I have to get me one!
Eric
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Exceptional razor...

Can't go wrong with it...

Learn to adapt to it's quircks and it will give you a lifetime of great shaves...

Enjoy your shave... :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
woodsrider

Post by woodsrider »

The futur is a great shaver. I don't ever exceed 1.5, and it performs well for me.
Lynn
jpkunst

Post by jpkunst »

Some time ago, when I was looking for my first adjustable razor, I bought a Futur. I returned it to the shop after shaving with it twice. It was way too aggressive for me, even at 1.
Jan Pieter
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

jpkunst wrote:Some time ago, when I was looking for my first adjustable razor, I bought a Futur. I returned it to the shop after shaving with it twice. It was way too aggressive for me, even at 1.
Jan, I would have to think that, quite possibly, you did not have the blade seated properly in the razor. It is easy to get a large gap if the blade is not properly loaded and the cap properly seated. I've never taken one apart, but many have said that the razor can be assembled backward so that the razor does not dial down to the right settings. At 1, I find this razor quite tame.
Jim
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Jim the backward assembly is a problem with the Progress. I agree with you though that the Futur cap must be fully seated or there will be a gap.
Regards,
Squire