Merkur Futur -1st Impression

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Today I went with the adage that less is more and dialed my Futur down to 1.5 due to yesterday's nick. At 1.5 the Futur did an outstanding job and delivered an irritation free BBS shave.

I have found that the sweet spot for me is somewhere between 1.5 and 2.5 (never higher) depending on how I am feeling on a particular day.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
infotech

Post by infotech »

Well, I finally broke down and ordered a Futur. I was enticed by a different thread here at SMF, but I'll add my experience to this larger thread.

First, I ordered from Bull Goose Friday and it arrived yesterday! Quickest order processing from a shave store yet.

Now on to the best part - the shave. :D

I loaded my Chrome Futur with a Iridium Super and set it to 1.5. Even at this low setting I could here the singing. I took three passes and got a great shave. For the size of the head I was surprised at how maneuverable it was. My upper lip has turned into a problem area - the Futur wiped that out. I really liked the grip I used. I couldn't use my normal three fingers on the end of the handle like I use for the HD, or Slant. It was really comfortable.

Tomorrow I'm going for 2.0. I think 1.5 was just a touch too light.
James
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

congrats james

the futur is the machine
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

infotech wrote:
Tomorrow I'm going for 2.0. I think 1.5 was just a touch too light.
Excellent...I am glad the Futur is working well for you. :D The range between 1.5 and 2.5 works best for me. Please report back and let us know how you liked the 2.0 setting.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
infotech

Post by infotech »

I do have one concern about the razor. I was messing with the adjuster and noticed that the razor head moves just a bit so that the razor edge is a little closer to the safety bar on one side than the other. I can move it back into place and it isn't that much off, but is a concern. Is this normal?
James
infotech

Post by infotech »

Shaved on 2.0 today. I think I like 1.5 better. It wasn't a bad shave, but it left my face a bit raw using my normal speed and technique. For a work day shave I don't want to have to slow it down too much.
James
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

Hi James, I have found that a setting of 1.25 works great for me with the Futur. Sometimes I go to 1.5 on the last pass ATG. I have also noticed that there is some play with the cap. I look from above the cap to see if everything is aligned and, if not aligned, a slight movement of the cap will fix it. You must be very careful when doing this. I use a towel if I want to adjust to a higher or lower setting. There have been more than a few who have been bitten.
Ron
infotech

Post by infotech »

I dialed it to 1.75 today and proceeded to get an excellent shave. I still have a little room for improvement, but I think I'm going to leave it set there. It's really something how important sound is with this razor. Once I can't hear the cutting, I feel lost.
James
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

infotech wrote:I dialed it to 1.75 today and proceeded to get an excellent shave. I still have a little room for improvement, but I think I'm going to leave it set there. It's really something how important sound is with this razor. Once I can't hear the cutting, I feel lost.
when you can't hear the cutting,,,you're done! if you want closer then dial it up and the song continues :lol:
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Most of the time, a setting around 1.5-2.0 seems to work for most shavers. I've had mine as high as 3 but for the most part found a setting that high was unnecessary and I don't have a chintzy beard.
Love the way it sings!.... 8)
Regards,
David
tm3

Post by tm3 »

rather than start a new thread i'll tag on here.

i decided to try the Futur. i wanted a Vision but the QC issues kept me away.

i really like the size and weight. bigger is better seems to by my motto for razors and brushes.

this razor is definitely more aggressive than my Progress. at its lowest setting the Progress seems impossible to nick with. the Futur took a few acclimation shaves before i had my technique adapted, and even now i have to be careful. the weight helps with technique as it makes it easier to keep a light touch

my only complaint is the Merkur QC. i got to examine two Futurs. one had scratches in the finish, and when a blade was inserted it did not have equal exposure all the way across. the one i bought has a correct blade fit, but there is pitting on the handle under the plating.

it is a tool not an art display piece, but i would think that Merkur could do a little better.

all in all, very happy that i bought it and recommend it highly.

still curious about the Vision. the size thing, you know.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

tm3 anything is possible, i just have think the two futurs you saw, got its wear and tear from being in stock for some time

those defects or damage dont seem to be something that would have left the factory that way

i have seen and owned and still do, many futurs and i never saw any thing similar to what your describing

other than having to make sure the blade aligns well thats about it

and blade alignment is necessary on many razors these days
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

tm3, the Vision is a very large razor, no doubt about it. There are those here on the forum that have them and they really seem to like them.
As far as your Futur is concerned, you might have really gotten the one out of a thousand that just wasn't right. I've had two Futur's, one I shave with on a regular basis, the other I sold to Gary (brothers) here on the forum. Both were the chrome model and both were perfect.
Sorry to hear that yours wasn't up to snuff.
Regards,
David