My First Shave w/Merkur Progress

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

My First Shave w/Merkur Progress

Post by mantic »

So, I got my Merkur Progress adjustable razor yesterday and tried it this morning. Before shaving I took out some "insurance" by showering first, washing my face with a good glycerin soap, applying some Trumper Skin Food (lime) as a pre-shave, and lathered using some Castle Forbes (lavender).

I dialed the razor all the way down and started. When you gents constantly say "let the weight of the razor do the work" I finally know what you mean. There was absolutely no need to press down on the razor; this little guy felt like a lead brick compared to any other razor I've tried (including some vintage DE's). It was quite easy to let the razor just glide across my skin.

However, after a few strokes I realized the razor was probably set too low (my experience with the el-cheapo Zorrick helped me determine the "feel" of a DE shave) so I dialed up one notch and continued. That did the trick: the rest of the shave proceeded reasonably well. I did give myself two tiny nicks but considering this was my first shave with a new razor I consider it a "success"--it wasn't the very best shave I've ever had but certainy very acceptable. I did one N-S pass followed by one S-N pass. I did have to do a clean-up pass with my Mach3 but I'm hoping as my technique settles in I won't need it.

Tomorrow I'm going to try my first pass at around 2-2.5 then dial down to 1.5 on subsiquent passes to see what happens.

I'd call the overall experience "luxurious"--the weight of the razor certainly added a quality dimension to my shave.

--Mark
Gramps
Canadian Badass

Post by Gramps »

Good one Mark !!! =D>

I am glad you had a great experience.
It gets easier with time and ... well .... practice!

Makes you want to shave again right away don't it? LOL

Gramps
~~ Larry ~~
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

Mark,

Glad to hear you like the Merkur Progress so far. Mine took me about a month to get used to but now I think it is one of the best razors available and at a very reasonable price.

I generally keep mine on setting 3 and that works great for going with and against the grain.

Vince
:::Vince:::
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Day two of my Merkur adventure.

Wow.

Just...wow.

Dialed up to a 3 for a N-S and a S-N pass, then dialed down to 1.5 for an against-grain and clean-up pass. Clean, smooth shave, requiring very few strokes in the same area (I did overlap strokes though). Didn't need to break out the M3 at all.

Some observations:

Shaving "sounds" different; its a "deeper" sound, not at all like the light, "plastic-y" (is that a word?) sound from a cartridge razor.

Looking at the razor from the side, the blade is noticably bowed down to match the angle of the shaving head (anyone noticed this before? I don't think I've seen any mention of it. Does the Futur or Vision do that too?).

The inside of the razor head has little channels for the stubble and cream to flow through, keeping the blade cleaner. A couple swishes in the basin is all I need to get the gunk out.

All in all, a very satisfying, luxurious experience.

--Mark
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

yes, the vision bows the blade also. it helps maintain the optimal blade angle to cause the blade to actually cut. on my vision, you can also see where the bar above the blade kinda angles upward from left to right. sometimes it is more pronounced, i think at the lesser aggressive settings.

sam
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

A quick "day 3" report on me and my Progress.

I decided to omit the Skin Food pre-shave this morning to see if it would make any difference. I did manage to nick myself on my right jawline, but other than that got a great, close, comfortable shave. What amazes me most is that I can dial down to a 1.5 (from 3) for my cleanup pass and get the difficult parts of my chin and lower neck that I though only my M3 could take care of effectively.

The little booger is really something.

--Mark
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

I just noticed I've been given a tag line! :lol: Maybe it should be "Making Progress" now? :wink:
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

I was in the Dollar Store today, looking for a shaving bowl or mug. found a decent bowl and I found a package of 10 Zorricks for $1. Well, I decided to give it a shot. Most of my adult life I have been shaving with an electric that just ruined my skin for the better part of the day I shaved, for about 3 weeks now I've been using a Mach 3 power, and have been amazed with the results. Now, is it acceptable to wetshave with a M3? Will I have a better experience with a DE? Are these Zorricks acceptable as a "training wheels" DE?
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Post by qed-usa »

Chris:

Are these the blades made in India? If they are, I tried them not too long ago, one blade, one shave, then threw them all in the trash. Needless to say, I was not happy with them. Still, I encourage you to try them and judge for yourself. My analysis is not the definitive word on any grooming product.

Charles
Q E D
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Post by qed-usa »

Richard of Plano, TX ...

I believe you tried Zorrick not too long ago ... your opinion?

Charles
Q E D
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

qed-usa wrote:Chris:

Are these the blades made in India? If they are, I tried them not too long ago, one blade, one shave, then threw them all in the trash. Needless to say, I was not happy with them. Still, I encourage you to try them and judge for yourself. My analysis is not the definitive word on any grooming product.

Charles
Q E D
Yeah, those are the ones. Do you reccomend though that I stick with the M3 or jump up to a classic DE? or is it one of those "whatever works for you" kind of things?
qed-usa
owner of qedusa.com

Post by qed-usa »

Chris:

I don't readily RECOMMEND anything without knowing a person better, meaning some of his past history with shaving, so I can get a feel for the logical next step in your quest for the ultimate shave. In general, the DE appears to be the most popular razor among WetShavers. Whether or not it is the best instrument for you ... I don't know. Still, even if I had your history, and suggested the DE, there's no guarantee you're going to like it. Yes, this is one of those personal things, like everything connected with toiletries. No one can tell you the perfect instrument or the best toiletries ... only YOU can make the decisions. But don't lose touch with your common sense.

Charles
Q E D

Homines libenter quod volunt credunt. (Men freely believe what they want to.)
Coche_y_bondhu
Don't mess with Texas!

Post by Coche_y_bondhu »

Hello Charles,

Yes, I did try the Indian blade. Two short strokes, and I stopped. Had to change back to my Feather. Tried an Israeli blade as well. Same thing.

I never tried shaving with obsidian or flint, but the experiences with those blades may have come close.

Just my opinion and how they did not work on my beard. Of course, your mileage may vary.

Cheers,
Richard
North of Shiner, TX
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Speaking of blades, I've been using a Feather DE blade that a co-worker gave me to try. "Oof da"...these guys are sharp. I had to shave *very* carefully for the first few times, even with the Progress dialed down. But by the third or forth shave either my technique adjusted or the blade "broke in" (or both) and I started getting a better shave. I'm still undecided as to whether I'll get a pack of my own and keep using them however.

--Mark
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Mark, i am on the first feather blade i have tried, and in a vision. i so far find them no better than a merkur, but have not gotten to the point of whether that are as good as a merkur. one thing i notice between them is that the blade is a bit more flexible. thusly, it might glide over the skin smoother but on a tough beard may not have the resistance to cause the short hair to stand up - just guessing on that score. im gonna keep an open mind, but at least the feather is better than a wilkinson or a personna to me. time will tell if it is as good as a merkur in a merkur razor

sam