DE Shaving Noob

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Bawho

DE Shaving Noob

Post by Bawho »

Hi All,

Great website. I've been reading lots of the posts and there is a wealth of information available.

I've been wet shaving for many years with disposable razors, but have now decided in the lead up to my 30th b'day that using a DE safety razor is the next challenge.

I like the Merkur range but I'm torn between the Futur, the Vision 2000 and the HD.

I've read on here that the Vision 2000 is 'too big' and 'agressive' however in speaking with a salesperson at a store in Australia, I've been advised that the Vision 2000 can be wound down to be even less aggressive than the Futur.

I've also been told that the HD is the best way to go, but I like the idea of being able to adjust the razor depending on how aggressive I want to shave and I can't see anywhere that the HD is adjustable.

So confused. I'd welcome any assistance that can be offered.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i'd suggest the HD. less expensive and a solid performer. the other two can bite you if you're not careful :oops: save them for later. if you get the hd, use a quality blade with it. ie, gillette 7 o'clock yellows work well in mine.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
fatcity

Post by fatcity »

I recommend the HD as well. Top notch razor, you won't be disappointed. Too many options (adjustable) give too many chances for error.

And don't worry, if you hang around here long enough you will accumulate all of the razors in your list, plus some.

You might also check out some of the vintage Gilletts - any Super Speed is a great razor to learn on and to perfect technique. A Tech is a good starting point as well. (plus you can get a decent vintage for $10 or so)
HH
Bawho

Post by Bawho »

Cost isn't an issue hence why I've been looking at the Vision 2000.

All so confusing. I have to admit I really like the look and the functionality of the Vision 2000 but I've just read so many things recommending against it. There seems to be consensus that the Futur and the HD are the way to go.

Out of these two I'm still leaning towards the Futur....but the Vision 2000....just looks so nice! :)

I'm a sucker for the looks.....
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Hey BH, welcome aboard. To answer your question they are brunettes, blondes and redheads. All work well, so buy the one that appeals most.
Regards,
Squire
Bawho

Post by Bawho »

So seems like it's go with what I like and expect a few nicks and cuts in the process of learning.

Looking forward to give the DE world a go...not so much looking forward to the nicks and cuts... :(
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Take your time and there should not be any problems.
Regards,
Squire
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i and welcome to smf

im a big futur fan and have been using them to 10years

but i never suggest this model for the first razor and many agree
not that you cant start off with one but a hd or a barberpole will make starting off much easier

marc
Bawho

Post by Bawho »

So why is it not recommended for noobs?

Assume I kept the futur or vision 2000 'dialed down' to their lowest setting, wouldn't they give the same type of shave as a HD or barberpole?
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Bawho wrote:So why is it not recommended for noobs?

Assume I kept the futur or vision 2000 'dialed down' to their lowest setting, wouldn't they give the same type of shave as a HD or barberpole?
Yes and no. The Futur is much heavier than the HD which makes the mantra of no pressure even more important. It is also bulkier which makes shaving around the nose a little more tricky. It is best to refine your technique on an HD or vintage Gillette 1st before graduating to the Futur.

That being said, you could definitely start out on the Futur. It just is not the recommended route.
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
Bawho

Post by Bawho »

Having read other threads I'm happy that I'm getting so much advice. Thanks one and all.

So looks like I should be buying multiple razors! :D

Maybe I'll get the finacee to buy me the Futur or the Vision 2000 for my b'day and buy myself the HD to learn on first???

I tried the 'no pressure' shave using the cartridge shaver I have at the moment which is reasonably heavy and I think I've got that down (no nicks or cuts and it took multiple shaves (mostly with-the-grain and across the grain to get it BBS - still uber nervous about against the grain with the disposable I have).

Another question - if I wet shave now, is DE shaving going to 'work better' for me or is there a chance that it will just not suit my skin and destroy my neck worse than the disposable or is it going to be better for me?

Hard to answer but I'd be interested in some others feeling about whether it has worked overall for them or not.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

Bawho

your questions are all good ....... the futur can be used and can be dialed down to mild. still it a lot of razor to begin with

about having multi razors its kinda the norm ... whether as a back up or just to switch off its nice having a couple or more kinda like the spice of life thing also different razors like certain blades more than others
etc etc

about the shave you will achieve. its take time to get truelly great shaves
with want you have been using up to now (multi blade disposibles) they dont require great technicque they pivot so the angle is correct

about the case with de shaving once you learn with the de you will have less problems than with the throw aways

no bumps no ingrowns no irration

once you have a good brush and soap that helps a lot too
but takeing your time and learning technique and little to no pressure

your shaves will become very good

i have been de shaving since the 1970's and i am still learning
even though i get a bbs shave nearly ever day

its a hobby as well as a necessity and you never stop learning about it

marc
Bawho

Post by Bawho »

Thanks Marc.

I already have a good quality badger hair brush which was given to me because I had a lot of problems with ingrown hairs and shaving rash. I use a shave cream from 'The Body Shop' which again helps but I was convinced a long time ago that the issue was the razor.

I had been reading up for a while and was convinced that the 'cut-throat' razor might have been the only way forward until I came across DE razors - only one blade on the skin at a time and significantly safer than the cut-throat. As an aside when I told my fiancee I wanted to try a cut-throat razor she asked that I get life insurance first! :lol:

I guess it will be a matter of getting a razor and learning and not losing patience if I nick and cut myself in the process which I don't think will be a problem.

Can't be any worse than what I'm doing now I guess...I hope! :shock:
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

It should be better. A lot actually, if the accumulated experience here is an indication.
Regards,
Squire
fatcity

Post by fatcity »

Get the Vision.

You're keen on it; and until you buy it, nothing else will satisfy that itch
HH
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

Bawho wrote:So why is it not recommended for noobs?

i have a futur and an hd. when i first started shaving i had a futur and sold it cause of nicks and cuts, 8 months later i bought another futur and now it's all good. i learned technique. the hd is very relaxing to use. think of the hd as milk and cookies while the futur is coffee and cigarettes. :lol: it's nice to have both of these razors to take a break now and then. even though you can adjust the futur or vision i don't think you'll be able to dial them in so they feel like an hd. and vice versa. i think part of it is the arc of the heads are different which gives a different blade angle. just my opinion.
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
iancevans

Post by iancevans »

Before you make a decision, you should read this thread and give it some serious thought:

http://www.shavemyface.com/forum/viewto ... ight=krona

and it's companion piece:

Ian

"Anything less than the best is a felony"
--Vanilla Ice
iancevans

Post by iancevans »

Before you make a decision, you should read this thread and give it some serious thought:

and it's companion piece:

Ian

"Anything less than the best is a felony"
--Vanilla Ice
IanM

Post by IanM »

I have a feeling that you'll end up owning all 3 at some point, but my advice would be:

Get the HD first. It's probably better to keep things nice and simple whilst you are learning the technique, and the HD is just that. Personally, I have owned an HD and didn't really get on with it, but that's probably more to do with me than it!

Once you've nailed your technique, you can move on to more exotic razors. My most used razor at the moment is a Futur, and there are quite a few Futur fans in these parts.

Ian
Those who design "Fool Proof" systems often underestimate the ability of fools.
ateace

Post by ateace »

I, too, recommend the HD to start. It's simple design and maneuverability are just what you need to learn. Once you are comfortable with your technique, you can branch out.

The HD works so well for me, I have very little desire to stray.