The Making of a Slant fan

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
GregPQ

The Making of a Slant fan

Post by GregPQ »

I received my Merkur Slant about 3 weeks ago, from QED where Charles offered excellent pricing.

My first shave was with a Swede and I was surprised at how smooth the WTG shave went. No cuts or irritation, but I have been using a DE for several years. I began to think that the Slant/Swede combination gave such a great WTG shave that I'd never need to go ATG again.

After 7 days--all WTG--I tossed the Swede in favor of a Derby. Definitely inferior to the Swede: not as smooth, nor as close-cutting.

After 3 days--all WTG again--I swapped out the Derby for a Feather. This was my first shave with a Feather--with 2 days' growth--and I took it very slow and easy. It felt not as smooth as the Swede, but better than the Derby. And the 2d pass--WTG--was quite smooth. The result: almost BBS after 2 WTG passes.

I have now enjoyed 6 shaves with the Slant/Feather combination, finally switching to soap (Trumpers Sandalwood) for the last couple.I will easily get a full week out of this blade. I now get very satisfactory results with 2 passes, first North-South and then East-West. Close, with no irritation and no cuts.

I'm very happy with my new razor, and glad I got it in gold!
Fiat lux, et facta est lux. Que la lumière soit, et la lumière fut. Let there be light, and there was light.
Leisureguy

Post by Leisureguy »

It's a great razor, IMO. Very nice that you're having such good success with it.
fatcity

Post by fatcity »

Agreed. Since acquiring a slant, my other razors have seen very little action.

Quick and efficient, I can get a decent one pass shave with my slant. I have yet to combine it with a Feather. Feathers were a bit rough on my skin when I tried them, but that was with multiple passes with an HD. Will have to give them another go.
HH
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

hi gregpq

having the slant in gold will make squire very happy!
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

If they ever make a gold one with a long handle marc.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Squire, Then, and only then, will you buy the "solution to a non-existant problem"...? ( chuckle )
Regards,
Gordon
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

I'll take a hit for the team, but only on my terms.
Regards,
Squire
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

Would love this slant head on a longer handle.
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

the barberpole is offered in SLANT VERSION and that has a longer handle
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

Slant + sharp blade = best combo when I've gone too long between shaves. And always the best combo for a quick one-pass shave.
alcx77

Post by alcx77 »

A question for our historians out there... did Gillette ever manufacture any sort of slant?
infotech

Post by infotech »

The Slant has been a difference maker for me, too. I never thought one razor could make such a difference. I started with Gillette Swedes, but have since started a rotation with Swedes, Astra Superior Platinum, and Iridium Super blades. They all provide very similar shaves in the Slant.

I could count the times I've used on other razors on one hand since I got the Slant about 6 months ago.
James
Steve

Post by Steve »

Has anyone compared the Vision to the Slant? Which is more aggessive the Slant of the Vision wide open?

Steve
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

steve i have hoped so many times to read a post where someone has both models and shared there findings and differences and etc etc

i have never used a vision but from ehat i have peiced together the futur is more aggressive than a vision

and i know some have made their way to the 6 setting but nobody ever admits to it

with 10 yrs of shaving with my futurs .. i have got to 4 setting and i have no intention of shaving a 4 again and i will not shave at 5 and 6

2.5 to 3 is my best settings and if and when i want daring 3.5 thats it
Steve

Post by Steve »

Hmm...I never heard that the Futur was more aggessive than the Vision. I though they were about the same, which is why I asked if the the Slant was more aggressive than the Vision. I use the Vision wide open but have never tried a Futur or Slant.

Steve
gone down south

Post by gone down south »

100% entirely IMO here, but I think that a slant isn't necessarily more or less aggressive than other razors, it straight up cuts the hair differently. I think it's very similar to the HD in terms of aggressiveness, but it cuts my whiskers differently. To me, it seems like a better shave for the same aggressiveness.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Steve, if you shave with a Vision wide open I recon you can shave with any DE razor.
Regards,
Squire
BullGoose
Vendor

Post by BullGoose »

Maybe I did not give the slant enough of a chance. I used a 37C about a dozen times before deciding to sell it. I guess this is a case of YMMV because I get a better shave from an HD than I did from the 37C. :?
http://www.bullgooseshaving.com -Rocnel, Barbaros, Boellis Panama, Savonniere du Moulin, Asylum Shave Works and so much more.

- Phil
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

alcx77 wrote:A question for our historians out there... did Gillette ever manufacture any sort of slant?

I've never seen one mentioned. For instance, there are none in Phil Krumholz's fairly exhaustive Guide.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

marc that's correct but it's not offered in gold.
Regards,
Squire