Derby

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
BeatlesFan

Derby

Post by BeatlesFan »

Lately I've been musing over various shaving mysteries. Y'know, the unexplained phenomena of our hobby.

One such mystery, of course, is our very individualistic responses to various products.

And of all products on SMF (with the possible exception of the Woolfat), nothing . . . NOTHING . . . seems to divide opinions so much as the Derby blade.

The opinions seem to run the entire spectrum from folks who think it's the best, smoothest thing on the market, to some who find it just "mid-pack", to others who find it dreadful and unacceptable. There just simply isn't a consensus on this blade!

I wonder what it is about this particular product that makes it so polarizing?
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

good question and a good observation

i think most find it to be a smooth feeling blade. but its not the sharpest by any means. so matching a derby with the correct razor is impotant

because it is not the sharpest blade guys with a heavy beard or two or more days of growth wont get the best shave

i mostly use a derby when i have to shave twice in one day. or when trying out a new razor that i have never used before

better safe than sorry

marc
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I can only say this. My first experience with them was a dissapointment. I found them tugging on the first pass. But it was my lather and shave technique.

I found out later that they were the right ones for my face. I have now only about 50 ones left, so of course I am anxious if they have the same quality when I order again.

The dividing factor as you say might be that they come from Turkey and it is an islam religious country. Some might find them less favorable than lets say Israeli blades. Some don't like israeli policy on palestinians and might think otherwise.

Myself I don't care where the the blades come from and judge them only how they shave. I give a slight edge to Derby over my Red pack Personnas but who nkows when i buy next bunch? Are they as good or something to complain about? My derbies that I got from Paul at connaughtshaving are surely nice blades.

Jarmo
Jarmo
gsgo

Post by gsgo »

Nothing more polarizing than trying to get a bunch of wet shavers to agree on a blade. Razor and technique along with the quality of your prep and lather has more to do with it then people think.

I can coax a decent shave out of most blades and have developed a few preferences through my own expericnces, thank goodness blades are not that expensive.
Good shaving,

Gary
Julius_Rodman

Post by Julius_Rodman »

gsgo wrote:Nothing more polarizing than trying to get a bunch of wet shavers to agree on a blade. Razor and technique along with the quality of your prep and lather has more to do with it then people think.

I can coax a decent shave out of most blades and have developed a few preferences through my own expericnces, thank goodness blades are not that expensive.

Merkur blades are the most fun for dividing on this board.

Seldom an argument for the middle ground.

-------------------

Kent
BeatlesFan

Post by BeatlesFan »

The dividing factor as you say might be that they come from Turkey and it is an islam religious country. Some might find them less favorable than lets say Israeli blades. Some don't like israeli policy on palestinians and might think otherwise.

Myself I don't care where the the blades come from and judge them only how they shave. I give a slight edge to Derby over my Red pack Personnas but who nkows when i buy next bunch? Are they as good or something to complain about? My derbies that I got from Paul at connaughtshaving are surely nice blades.

Jarmo
Umm, sorry, I can't agree with you about the religious issue. I really don't think people are shaving with these, and thinking, "Yeah, I love how they shave, but I don't like Muslims so I'll rate the blade negatively." That simply doesn't seem credible to me. I don't believe that the religious profile of the country of origin is a factor in anyone's thinking (whether Derbys or anything else).

My own guess is that Marc is probably correct: i.e., Derbys are very smooth but not super-sharp. So it may depend on what features you value most in the blade.

I'm not sure that's 100% right, but I've read hundreds of posts on this, and I've never detected even the slightest hint of sectarianism in people's views on this issue.
Rufust445

Post by Rufust445 »

Last year I shaved with 2 Derbys, not at the same time, in a Feather Portable purchased from Pauldog. I asked him to substitute two Derbys for the Feather blades, and I can't remember having any problems with them.

Earlier this summer, however, I tried one from a sample pack, and managed to get through the week with it in a Tech after trying it in a Krona and a Super adjustable. The irritation was barely tolerable. With all the materials Derby puts into the coating, I would expect them to be smoother.

The only reason I can think of for my problem with them is the edge-to-edge width:

http://www.razorandbrush.com/bladwidth.html

which is second only to the Sputnik. Blade exposure is greater no matter what razor it's in.

I may try another Derby sometime, but right now there's a NOS Wilkinson UK waiting for this evening's shave...
AZShaver

Post by AZShaver »

I tried Derby and was not impressed with any of my razors. Since I have been wet shaving a long time, I don't think it was my technique. I recently got a Mercur HD and have found almost any blade works well, including the Derby. Must be the razor
Jim
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I initially found Derby's to be a good all round product. Then I bought a box of 100 blades, and have found them to be very much hit-and-miss. Some get 5 really good shave, some give me 2 or 3 decent shaves. With my '56 Superspeed, they work fine, but not as well with my Techs.

MWF does work perfectly with any razor, and any blade....... :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
Shave4Fun

Post by Shave4Fun »

When I first went to back DE's I got Personnas from Wal-Mart, then tried out the Derbys. I found them to be better. Then I tried other blades, such as FEATHER (YES!), vintage Wilks (YES!), vintage Gillette Spoilers (Yes!), 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge (Yep!), "Swedes" (YES!) then the Iridium Supers (YES again!). The Personnas and Derbys lost favor with me. But, I do have a few left and they work best for me in my Gillette Slim adjustable.

Roger
Araner

Post by Araner »

When I first started using a DE I went with Merkur blades because that’s what came with my first razor and I was unaware of most other blades, and I figured what could be better than good German steel! Then I discovered shaving forums where everyone was touting the sharpness of Feathers and being a man of some means, I started using Feathers; after all, what could be better than good Japanese steel! Using them caused my face to feel sore all the time, but I just chalked that up to poor technique and the wrong shave cream/soap/aftershave/razor combination; it surely couldn’t have been the Feathers. After awhile of trying everything except a different blade, I finally gave up and gave Derby Extra’s a shot – what a difference a blade can make! My face no longer felt sore, in fact it felt great. I’ve been using Derb’s for a few years now, and I occasionally give other blades a try, but nothing, I mean absolutely nothing works better for me than Derby blades.
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

BeatlesFan, Well, a good question, and probably unanswerable. There are two factors that I think at least play into the wide spread of opinion on these blades. One is that all the many posts suggest to me that these blades are fairly variable, more so than say the Swedes, or Feathers, or the blue Israeli Personnas for that matter. Not infrequently, the same poster will mention having quite different experiances with them at different times, or from different lots, or even packs. Second, a hell of a lot of members have tried them, hence, there are more gents who HAVE opinions on them than on many other blades. Perhaps if everyone and his brother had tried, say, the Indian 'Wilkinsons' we might have a similiarly wide spread of opinion....perhaps, anyway. Combine these two factors and I think you have at least part of the explanation. Personally, I've tried the Derbys a few times ( and no, I didn't try them in a whole bunch of different razors, because I don't USE a whole bunch of different razors...I tried them in the razors I normally always reach for ), and I found them rather rough and crude each time. I've always thought that the blue IP was a better bargain priced blade. But, that's just me....which is what this thread is about ( chuckle ).
Regards,
Gordon
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

may times when i have ordered shaving stuff the vendor has throwed in a pack of derbys that how i got all of mine

so it is possible that how so may others have gotten theres

i never had a derby thats gave me a rough feel or shave they have always been extremly smooth to shave with but they dont shave as close and us course the shave doesnt last as long

like i have said before i keep them around for when i have to shave twice in one day

marc
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I started using Feathers; after all, what could be better than good Japanese steel! Using them caused my face to feel sore all the time, but I just chalked that up to poor technique and the wrong shave cream/soap/aftershave/razor combination; it surely couldn’t have been the Feathers. After awhile of trying everything except a different blade, I finally gave up and gave Derby Extra’s a shot – what a difference a blade can make! My face no longer felt sore, in fact it felt great. I’ve been using Derb’s for a few years now, and I occasionally give other blades a try, but nothing, I mean absolutely nothing works better for me than Derby blades.
I am in the same skin category as you propably. Nothing I do will make Feathers my fave blade. I only use them in Progress with a mild setting. I did cork them and it seemed to make them gentler on my skin.

What I like about Derby blades is exactly that they are quite sharp, but not over sharp. Gillette Platinums were a great blade, but they were a bit aggressive on my skin too.
Jarmo
krissy

Post by krissy »

Derby blades are all we use in our house. My hubby, almost 13 year old daughter and myself all use them.
www.Prairie-Creations.com ~ Not your average artisan shaving soaps and creams (both tallow and non-tallow) and more
woofer

Post by woofer »

After using day after day Dorco, Treet, Sputnik, Gillette, Crystal, IP, Sharp, Feather, Merkur blades, and after using a Weishi, a Treet, a Tech, a SuperSpeed, a Feather and a Krona in various combinations with the aforementioned, well, I received a Futur and it came with a pack of Derby. I put a Derby into the Futur, and it felt perfectly right on my skin. They fit. Revelation. Game over.
mattbramanti

Post by mattbramanti »

The best, closest shave of my life was a few days ago with a brand-new Derby in a Merkur 180, and it was the first time I'd ever used a Derby blade.

In fact, I'm somewhat hesitant to use it again, because I'm afraid I'll be disappointed after that first miraculous shave.
“If you teach a poor young man to shave himself, and keep his razor in order, you may contribute more to the happiness of his life than in giving him a thousand guineas.” --Benjamin Franklin
woofer

Post by woofer »

I'm afraid I'll be disappointed after that first miraculous shave.
mattbramanti, I've been feeling like that too, Derby after Derby after Derby...
mattbramanti

Post by mattbramanti »

woofer wrote:mattbramanti, I've been feeling like that too, Derby after Derby after Derby...
Ha! Fair enough!
“If you teach a poor young man to shave himself, and keep his razor in order, you may contribute more to the happiness of his life than in giving him a thousand guineas.” --Benjamin Franklin
fallingwickets
Clive the Thumb

Post by fallingwickets »

Derby blades are all we use
must have missed your first post...in any event, welcome to SMF

clive
de gustibus non est disputandum