BIC Blades - a Ying Yang

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
jtpca

BIC Blades - a Ying Yang

Post by jtpca »

Gentlemen,

As part of a sample pack, I have been trying the BIC DE in my EJ Muhle 89 razor.

Results:

Exceptional performance in areas that do not require much articulation or those that are less 'technical'.

I have found that when I am in areas of precision, this blade becomes less 'responsive' and is prone to nicking and small cuts.

My hope that this was isolated, though 4 shaves later I am losing confidence in what I thought was a premium product. Could it be a poor example of BIC?
Jason

There is nothing new in the world except the history you do not know. - Truman
dash maverick

Post by dash maverick »

It's been awhile since I've used a Bic DE blade, but from what I remember, my experience echoes yours. I don't think I ever got away without a nick or two... could be why I haven't used them in awhile.
Anthony

The Dashing Maverick
"mostly imitated, barely updated"
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Jason, Ah....well....I was rather disappointed with the Bic DE blades. A few years ago they were almost impossible to get, but myself and a few others very much WANTED to get some. You see, we figured that the single blade el cheapo Bic disposibles were really pretty darn good, ergo, their DE blades were likely REALLY good....or so we hoped. We finally got a few through the good offices of a fellow member in Poland.....hurrah!...hale fellow well meet, and all. But after all that, most of us were less than elated. I found them to be kind of rough, and very average. I still have a partial pack of them around somewhere I think.
Regards,
Gordon
brothers

Post by brothers »

I got a pack from somewhere, used them up and didn't want any more. They were passable, but just average.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Araner

Post by Araner »

bernards66 wrote:...You see, we figured that the single blade el cheapo Bic disposibles were really pretty darn good, ergo, their DE blades were likely REALLY good....or so we hoped...
And I thought I was alone in my thinking. Well, Sir, you put my thoughts into words better than I could do.

Bic disposable is still my travel razor, but the Bic DE blade is history; tried it, didn't like it. Life is like that.
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

The BiC's work fine with me :lol:

I have been using them last couple of weeks and get great irritationless shaves.
Eric
Araner

Post by Araner »

Flash G wrote:The BiC's work fine with me :lol:

I have been using them last couple of weeks and get great irritationless shaves.
Good for you, Flash, I'm happy for you. Like I said life is like that.
Seamaster

Post by Seamaster »

I love 'em.

Poor man's "Swede", IMO.
Flash G

Post by Flash G »

Thanks, Araner :)
Seamaster wrote:I love 'em.

Poor man's "Swede", IMO.
Yes, thats my choice of blades: Swedes, SI's and BiC Chrome.
Eric