Behind the 5 blades

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
stuff495

Behind the 5 blades

Post by stuff495 »

This article about what goes into making modern safety razors sure looks interesting.

I'll have something to say about it after I've finished slogging through it :oops:

--Vincent
scruffy

Post by scruffy »

I wonder which is closer; using the 5 bladed montrosity or doing 5 passes with a DE?

I do know which is cheaper.

I guess in theory it saves time. Instead of doing 5 passes, you can do 1 pass instead.

Who needs 5 passes anyway?
Ed
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I'm surprised the article didn't mention the hazard of razor bumps. That's one of the major arguments against multi-blade razors.
95%

Post by 95% »

Good article, Vincent. It's probably the best I've seen on the Fusion razor.

I always got good results with my Fusion, but they have improved noticeably since I joined this forum and began using a brush and high-quality soaps and creams.

I really can't imagine a follow-on to the Fusion. Gillette might make small adjustments to the existing design, by using new alloys and coatings, changing the pivot action, etc., but they wouldn't gain much publicity by doing that. They couldn't tout it as a new blockbuster product. Adding a sixth blade would make the shaving surface too large; it's already a bit too large for shaving in tight places, such as around the corners of the mouth. The battery-powered vibrating feature was a shrewd marketing gimmick that added nothing to the razor's performance.

The basic design of the Fusion is excellent in my opinion, and I suspect razor development has almost, finally, reached the end of its course.
Porter
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

The prime motive force isn't improving the shave - it's coming up with something patentable when the old patents expire.
razorburned

Post by razorburned »

95% wrote:The basic design of the Fusion is excellent in my opinion, and I suspect razor development has almost, finally, reached the end of its course.
I will not argue the design of the Fusion, while I personally don't like it (or any cartridge doohiky), I know many can use them without ill effect.....I WOULD argue though that razor development COULD have ended with the Fatboy in 58, and all other designs since are just marketing ploys....some actually worked, others were just gimmicks.
Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

razorburned says;
...I know many can use them without ill effect.....
they think they have no ill effect because they dont know any better...
in so many cases you can just look at a person and you know right away
what razor they are using. all irrated and burned and/or razor bumps

thats what i see

marc
95%

Post by 95% »

Marc, I disagree. Let's not reflexively blame every bad shave on cartridges. Lots of guys show up here with problems which they attribute to the cartridge they've been using, when in fact their preparation, technique, and materials are substandard. Plenty of attendees at SMF University are DE users.

You can't tell by looking at a poorly shaven man with razor bumps and burn what razor he is using. He might have a dull blade in his DE razor. He might be washing his face with a harsh facial scrub. He might, unfortunately, have skin so sensitive that no shave will be satisfactory, at least for a period of months or even years until hormonal or other physiological changes occur.
Porter
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Porter I think most guys use whatever their wives pick up at the grocery store and I see a lot of poor shaves in the business environment. Whether they're multi blade or not they are certainly cartridge.
Regards,
Squire
95%

Post by 95% »

Squire, since most men in North America use cartridges, it's statistically likely that a poorly-shaven man uses one. But the opposite is also true. The well-shaven man you see - except when you look in the mirror - is probably using a cartridge too.
Porter
spinyeel

Post by spinyeel »

I was given a new Fusion to try out. After the 4th shave the blades became very dull. At $AU6 per cartridge,they can keep it. :shock:
95%

Post by 95% »

That's unusual, spinyeel. Most men report eight or ten shaves before they change cartridges, and that's in line with my experience. You must have tough whiskers. How many shaves do you get from a DE blade?
Porter
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

My take on multiblades :lol:
robert-00

Post by robert-00 »

The original 5-blade razor for Gillette blades. :shock:
See it at:
http://www.geocities.com/safetyrazors/M ... tiplex.htm
95%

Post by 95% »

That's a great find, Robert. I had no idea it existed.
Porter
jayb

Post by jayb »

95% wrote:That's unusual, spinyeel. Most men report eight or ten shaves before they change cartridges, and that's in line with my experience. You must have tough whiskers. How many shaves do you get from a DE blade?
i used to get about four shaves from any cart. these days i can get about 10-15 shaves. fact is, i'm not shaving much these days at all. :cry:
Justin
95%

Post by 95% »

Justin, then either the blades have become more durable or your prep, materials, and technique have improved - or you're doing fewer passes.
Porter
jayb

Post by jayb »

95% wrote:Justin, then either the blades have become more durable or your prep, materials, and technique have improved - or you're doing fewer passes.
Actually, after a couple rounds of chemo, my facial hair has grown back slightly less coarse. :wink:
Last edited by jayb on Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Justin
95%

Post by 95% »

Now that's an explanation I never thought of. I'm glad you're coming along well.
Porter
jayb

Post by jayb »

95% wrote:Now that's an explanation I never thought of. I'm glad you're coming along well.
Certainly! :wink:
Justin