EJ Chrome Barley Chatsworth

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Marsom

EJ Chrome Barley Chatsworth

Post by Marsom »

Hello,

Well, I've been guilty of not taking the time and patience to get to know a new shaving accessory before... mainly razors and brushes. I'll try something once and say, "this doesn't really work for me" and then sell or trade it off. Well, I experienced this with the Kent BK4. Didn't like it at first being so used to a dense CH2 Super. Now, I think it's one of the best brushes out there period.

I recently aquired this Chatsworth mainly because it was priced so well. It's a beautiful razor. In the past, fixed head Merkurs never really worked for me. A tad too aggressive for my tastes. For the last six or seven months, I've been using cartridges everday. I started to miss the DE shave, so I switched over to the EJ. Right off the bat, I said "this razor is too aggressive and my skin can't take it." Figured, I'd just sell it or trade it. I then said, "give a few days and see what happens." Well, with a Iridium blade, I've become very fond of the razor. I think Gordon said that fixed head Merkurs don't work well for him, but with a weighted Chatworth handle, something makes it work for him. I found this to be true for me. It must be the added weight and longer handle that seems to make this piece shave very close and smooth. It is on the verge of being too aggressive, but the more I learn the razor and stick with the same setup daily, it's becoming quite a pleasure to use comfortably and doesn't feel aggressive at all... and it is a stunning piece visually.

So, the moral of the story. Give a razor or brush some time before deciding on it. You may hate it the first few runs, but end up loving it once the adjustment phase ends. I'm glad I still have my BK4 and I think I'll be holding on to this razor as it was such a bargain purchase and a fine shaver.

Best,
Marion
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Marion, Well, that's generally good advice, especially if it seems a borderline case, or you haven't been at this a really long time. With most things I can tell right away if it has potential for me....or more accurately I can tell when it doesn't ( chuckle ). But my experiance with a Chatsworth was as you reported it. It was definately borderline for me, but I could use it with a degree of comfortability that I've never gotten from the stock Merkurs, and the same happened when I put a Merkur head on that Rooney/Parker handle. I still don't like it as much as some of my TTO Gillettes, but if I had to use it daily, I could. One reason I'm interested in those new M-P/E-J heads is that they are said to be just a shade milder than the Merkurs, and with the right handle, that just might do it for me.....not that I need another razor though.
Regards,
Gordon
Marsom

Post by Marsom »

Gordon,

I had one of those Chatworths with the new heads and it was pretty good and it did seem a bit milder, but honestly I find the Merkur head along with heavier handle a better shaver. I usually can tell too if something has no potential, but several times I've thought "well this just isn't my cup of tea" and then found it to workout nice. So, sometimes it does pay to give it some time particularly with razors IMO.

Best,
Marion
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

i found the merkur/ej head to be a better shaver over the new m-p/ej head also. the m-p/ej head is nicer made and its feel is better
but the merkur head just shaves best

nice to know others find it the same as i have

marc
ateace

Post by ateace »

I agree.
I have the faux horn Chatsworth with the new M-P head. Occasionally, I'll give it a try or two, but the HD keeps winning out. Today, though, the Chatsworth gave me a nice shave. The one problem is that it doesn't handle my upper lip quite as well as the HD.
I should just stick to it for a week at least before making a final decision.
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

After getting back to DE shaving, I started out with a HD. At first I thought it was much too harsh. I ended up trying some milder razors such as a Tech and Weishi. After learning the angles on those but still not getting close shaves I decided to learn the HD. I think it was a post from Chris that said to just pick a razor you like and then learn to shave with it. I decided to master the HD as it was the most liked. Now the HD is my main razor. I think it was my skin got more used to the DE blade plus that my skill improved.

I have tried the new faux horn Chatsworth and I really like it but the HD still is the one for me. Something about its balance which is not top heavy. I might like the Barley though because of its balance.

It is good advice to keep something a while and not trade it right away. My Rooney 3, 1 is in that category. At first I thought it much too dense and stingy. I kept using it now and then though and I am aprreciating it more and more.
Ron
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Glad to see that you decided to keep the razor. IMHO, no one does a better job on the chrome than EJ; and the extra weight of the razor, due to its size, does make it a fine shaving tool.
Regards,
David
MaxP

Post by MaxP »

I tend to like an aggresive razor. Can anyone tell me where I could buy a Chatsworth with the old Merkur head?
Regards,

MaxP

"Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln
druphus

Post by druphus »

MaxP wrote:I tend to like an aggresive razor. Can anyone tell me where I could buy a Chatsworth with the old Merkur head?
I think you just have to find a Chatsworth sold prior to January of 2009 (i.e. used). If its gold its the old Merkur head, because the new head has never been offered in gold.
Regards,
Andy
Zot!

Post by Zot! »

The Chatsworth Barley razors are still being sold and I think Edwin Jagger discontinued that model before the new heads were produced. Perhaps Fendrihans but you can Google it. http://www.fendrihan.com/edwin-jagger-c ... p-253.html
Ron
glassmtn

Post by glassmtn »

If you find one, I would recommend not relying on the photo to determine if it has the Merkur head. Instead I would ask them. Sometimes websites do not update their photos. It may show the Merkur head in the photo, but the actual item may come with the new head.

eric.
Marsom

Post by Marsom »

Hello,

Just wanted to do a update post regarding this razor. I've been using it daily for about two weeks now and I've grown even more fond of it. It doesn't seem to be aggressive at all at this point. I've really taken to it and I feel that the balance, added weight, and longer handle really does make this a very fine tool and it is striking to look at as well. I love the fact that the blade exposure is even on both sides. At first, it did seem a tad bit too much, but I've gotten the feel down and it actually seems perfect. Not too aggressive or too mild.

Also, I've been using Iridiums with this razor and I don't think I've ever found such a perfect DE combo for my skin and beard... ever! I've never been a hoarder or one to buy in bulk, but I'll be buying a good number of Iridiums because for years I've been looking for the best DE blade for my setup and really never found it. Merkurs wern't sharp and smooth enough. IPs were smooth, but not sharp enough. Feathers were sharp enough, but irritated me and lasted only a few shaves. Swedes, were sharp enough and smooth, but they still don't work as good as the Iridiums. There's more I could list, but I think you get the picture. I get a weeks worth of shaves out of the Iridiums.

Best,
Marion
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

Marry some Mitchell's Woolfat with that Chatsworth, and you have the ideal Yorkshire shave (Sheffield is often thought of being in Derbyshire, but the post code is Yorkshire, as I recall).
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
lawcash1

Post by lawcash1 »

I took up DE shaving about two years ago after wearing a full beard for all but a few widely scattered weeks over a thirty year period. When I decided to give the consistently clean shaven look a final try I went all in and bought an EJ bulbous lined razor with the old Merkur head. As this was my first DE razor, I had no personal reference to make a comparison with. I was very happy with the purchase and I have refined my technique to where I am at the "not bad" level. I picked up a second EJ last March, a Georgian in faux ivory which was being discontinued and therefore offered at a substantial discount. This razor came with the new EJ/Muhle head (version 1). I liked it so much that I switched it over to the heavier Bulbous lined handle that I was more accustomed to using and kept the Georgian handled Merkur head as my travel razor. My technique continues to improve and, after reading this thread, I am thinking about putting the old Merkur head back on it's original handle to give it another go.
I doubt that I will be dissatisfied, but I look forward to seeing whether I have learned enough at this point in my journey to discern a difference.
This sort of research is part of why shaving has become FUN!
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Yep....it's pretty incredible, is it not, to go from a 'the hell with shaving...full beard' space to, 'shaving is fun!'. Glad you're enjoying the ride.
Regards,
Gordon
desertbadger

Post by desertbadger »

Welcome to the forum, lawcash1!
Regards,
David
druphus

Post by druphus »

Welcome to the forum.
Regards,
Andy
lawcash1

Post by lawcash1 »

Thank you all for the welcomes.
There is nothing like learning, applying and refining the lessons, and sharing the results with people who get it because they have been there also.
Racso_MS
Merkur Man

Post by Racso_MS »

Shaving 101...

Technique, Technique, Technique...
Let the razor do the work...
No Pressure...
Patience and consistency...

And of course... (See my signature block)... :D
Best Regards From the Deep South...
Remember; It's Not A Race, It's Your Face...
And As Always, Enjoy Your Shave...
(Racso) Oscar...
brothers

Re: EJ Chrome Barley Chatsworth

Post by brothers »

I've always wanted one of these beautiful razors, and a few days ago I was fortunate to locate one from a member of one of the forums at a very fair price. Got it today, and used it this evening for the first time. It's not the head that I was wanting, but the handle. I consider it the most beautiful and stylish handle available. Someone once posted that this is the razor that will most likely end up an heirloom because of the design and the way it just feels right in the hand. Heavy too. I already knew the EJ head isn't aggressive enough for my preferences, so I loaded up one shim, just to bring it closer to what I need to shave with. It did all right. I've got a few other heads that I can use with this handle too, and will undoubtedly have many future opportunities to do so.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444