Wetshaving with an M3?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Wetshaving with an M3?

Post by Chris »

Does anyone use the M3 power or M3 to wetshave? How does it work for you? is it suitable?
Johnnie
Shave This

Post by Johnnie »

thats all i use. i have both the M3 and the M3 power. i like the M3's because it allows me to shave faster in the morning. i dont have time to be messing with a DE in the morning. i'd rather sleep than wake up earlier to shave with a DE.

nothing wrong with using a M3
Johnnie
Keep it Wet
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

I'm thinking of going to straights eventually, but I think I am going to try a DE first. Looking right now at the Merkur "Hefty Classic". Anybody have any suggestions as to what I should buy? You guys have been spot on so far!
Enrico

Post by Enrico »

I have been using a Sensor since they first came out, and recently purchased a couple of new Schick Injectors (1990's vintage), that I am really getting into.
I have tried the Mach III, but much prefer the Sensor.
At the moment I have no real inclination to try a DE, but that may change.

Regards,

Steve
Chris
Official SMF "Pit Bull"

Post by Chris »

I think I'm gonna buy myself a DE...the only thing is, I don't know how to shave with one. I'm new to razor shaving, having used an electric exclusively and just switching to an M3 like a month ago. If anyone has any tips, I'm all ears...
mantic
Wielder of the Zorrick

Post by mantic »

Chris wrote:I think I'm gonna buy myself a DE...the only thing is, I don't know how to shave with one. I'm new to razor shaving, having used an electric exclusively and just switching to an M3 like a month ago. If anyone has any tips, I'm all ears...
Chris-- You sound like me nine months ago. :lol: I started wetshaving back last May with a Mach 3, which worked pretty well for me, no real complaints (other than the rediculous cartridge price, though I could get a big pack at Sam's Wholesale at about 75% of what the other stores charged). I too was curious about DE shaving (though I have no desire to take my life into my hands with a str8 :shock: ) and on recommendation of other postings tried the BIC "Metal" and BIC "Sensative" disposables. They let me start to get a handle on DE technique. Later I found a plastic Zorrik DE and honed my technique further. Then last week I went full-tilt-boogie into DE land with a Merkur Progress adjustable DE. What a machine (see my postings in this section).... I'm still going to keep my Mach 3 Turbo for quick shaves, but when I have the time (and I usually *make* the time) I'll use the Progress.

--Mark
VinceFX
Trumper Fan

Post by VinceFX »

I use an M3T all the time. I only use it to shave with the grain. Then I'll use either a Sensor or a DE (gillette or merkur) to shave against the grain. I find that using a razor combo such as this works very well for my skin.

I also have the M3 Power. It's nice but no real difference in performance from a standard M3.

Vince
:::Vince:::
tigert

Post by tigert »

I use an m3 power to shave on weekdays when I'm in a hurry and I use my DE on weekends or sometimes on weekdays if I wake up earlier. I've only been using the DE for a few months so I still have to take it pretty slow to avoid irritation or nicking myself.

For what its worth though, I can not shave against the grain with M3T without irritation, but with the M3power I can effortlessly shave against the grain and get an extremely close shave with no irritation and no ingrown hairs (code blue works wonders for eliminating ingrown hairs).

I will never be able to get as close of a shave with the DE as I can with M3P, but I still like using the DE because its fun and it saves money on M3 cartridges. If you do use the M3 though, I would suggest checking out the cryo cartridges at greatshaves, they really do last much longer than the regular cartridges, also I find no difference between the regular M3T carts and the power cartridges so I would buy the cheaper ones and use them with the power handle.

-Tyler