Why do I want a Chatsworth

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Benjy85

Why do I want a Chatsworth

Post by Benjy85 »

I've been staring for the last few days at the Ivory Chatsworth. Its the only thing that seems to be on my mind at the moment ...

I've been using a Futur and need something to spice up my life ... Any suggestions or am I looking at the right piece here ?
Kind Regards, Ben
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

hi benj85

i use a futur as my goto so many years now. last year i was gassing for a chatsworth and it loved it. i thought it was a great complement with the futur

and they both shave wonderful

i just sold the chadworth after i got the ikon

but i am still a chadsworth fan!!!
Benjy85

Post by Benjy85 »

I knew you'd be the first to reply !

I think i've realised what it is about the Futur. Its German - Quite Solid, Like a German car - It gets you from A to B every day, but theres no excitement about it.

Maybe the Chatsworth is the Aston Martin !!
Kind Regards, Ben
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

i highly doubt it will shave as efficiently as a futur. i had a muhle head dr harris. nice but not as close. definately a quality piece though. i just got a 38c and am liking it better then the futur.. first razor that is making me put the futur down :roll:
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Ben, You want it because you're not entirely....er....well, that's why. This board is not good for you, but now, regretably, you're hooked. FWIW, the Chatsworth IS a very nice razor...sigh....
Regards,
Gordon
druphus

Post by druphus »

Go ahead and get the Chatsworth Ben. You have my support. I've got two of them and like them. I've also got a Merker HD, a 54 Gillette SS, an iKon, and a black Gillette long-handled super adjustable. I use all of them, if and when I feel like it. I don't have to change blades as often this way.
Regards,
Andy
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

On today's show we have Benjie 85. Benjie is about to lose his family,job and probably his mental and physical health. Benjie 85 has a compulsive disorder to buy shaving equipment. And Benjie has fallen into a sinister online cult called www.shavemyface.com who sound to me like a bunch of sicko enablers. lets bring Benjie85 on stage right now.
Hello Benjie85.
Hello Doctor Phil.
Now Benjie I want to start out by AAARGGH!!!!!!
After momentary pandemonium onstage the camera focuses on a disheveled Doctor Phil rubbing his now shaved upper lip.
Benjie is nowhere to be found.
giammi

Post by giammi »

I have both razors, I like both razors equally, I can recommend both razors - go ahead and buy the Chatsworth.
Marsom

Post by Marsom »

I've really been enjoying my chrome barley Chatsworth (Merkur head). Aesthetically, it's very striking. Great balance and weight. Paired up with an Iridium, I still stand by my evaluation that it's the best combo I've come across since getting into DE shaving.

Best,
Marsom
drumana

Post by drumana »

I have a Chatsworth (with Muhle head) - it's a great razor. Nice balance and weight, nice looks. It'll shave and feel differently than your Futur - it's a lighter, milder razor.

Go ahead and get it.
-Andrew-
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

KAV wrote:On today's show we have Benjie 85. Benjie is about to lose his family,job and probably his mental and physical health. Benjie 85 has a compulsive disorder to buy shaving equipment. And Benjie has fallen into a sinister online cult called www.shavemyface.com who sound to me like a bunch of sicko enablers. lets bring Benjie85 on stage right now.
Hello Benjie85.
Hello Doctor Phil.
Now Benjie I want to start out by AAARGGH!!!!!!
After momentary pandemonium onstage the camera focuses on a disheveled Doctor Phil rubbing his now shaved upper lip.
Benjie is nowhere to be found.
stroke, stroke, benji's silver razor came down on his lip, do, do, do, do,
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

I must admit that my admiration for the Chastsworth was wholly and entirely narcissistic. I simply wanted one. I would not say it is my favourite razor, nor would I say it's my least favourite. Nice weight and heft for sure, it's just that the vintage Gillettes feel more comfortable in my hand.
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
CK

Post by CK »

I have had an itchy trigger finger for ordering the Chatsworth for awhile now, but the price has held me back. Is this one a viable alternative?

http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com ... |user||17|

Same head but different handle and a decent difference in the price. Should I just splurge on the chatsworth?
Charlie
jww
Woolly Bully

Post by jww »

CK wrote:.... Should I just splurge on the chatsworth?
One word -- yes.

Maybe add it to your Christmas list? That's how I got mine. :wink:
Wendell

Resident Wool Fat Evangelist & anglophile. Have you hugged a sheep today?
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

I know people who think nothing of spending 3 bucks on some sort of custom blended super coffee each morning on the way to work and maybe another 3 bucks later in the day on the same stuff.
In the grand scheme of things "splurging" on a piece of equipment that will last for generations versus less than an hour is not really splurging - its investing.
The coffee drinker will use their small indulgence and they will have an empty paper cup to throw away. You can use your investment a bunch of times to the point where, when amortized, its per day cost to own is just cents.
If our coffee buff takes a few sips and does not like their coffee they have very few options - throw it away? -give it to a homeless person? You on the other hand can use your investment and if you don't like it can sell it to someone else who wishes to invest and recoup most of your investment less a minor "opportunity cost" of a few bucks.
Even if our coffee enthusiast was able to find someone to buy their coffee that they didn't care for they would have a restricted market due to the inablity to sell to someone at any distance. Who would want a cold coffee shipped from New York to Seattle for instance. Lets see the coffee drinker wrap their cup in bubble wrap, put it in an envelope and send it parcel post to anywhere - I think not.
In a smilar vein lets see the reception the coffee drinker gets when he hands his coffee that he saved for 30 years to his grandson. Not nearly the excitement you will get passing your vintage Chatsworth on to future generations.
Have you bought that darn razor yet?
I can keep talking all day.
This is NOT enabling it is investment counciling.
Last edited by GollyMrScience on Fri Nov 13, 2009 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

I think all we need now is to hold hands and recite some shaver's serenity prayer before going on a group shopping spree. I need lots of blades, several pucks of Trumpers rose soap to worry about scent loss, a Kent BK4 and and and..... :lol:
CK

Post by CK »

Ill make the decision soon. Has to be done before the free shipping disappears on the 16th! Most importantly is getting my Harris Pink first! I am almost out.
Charlie
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

Tom, In all my years in the counceling field, I still continue to be amazed by the addict's skill and inventiveness at creative rationalization and intellectualization. Impressive.....sigh.
Regards,
Gordon
KAV

Post by KAV »

Physician- HEAL THYSELF! :lol: :lol: :lol:
GollyMrScience

Post by GollyMrScience »

LOL ain't it the truth.
Rationalization and intellectualization are two very big programs in the human operating system.
For good AND ill.
Even if not quite to the addicts level everybody uses those skills to justify their actions.
After many years I have decided that for the most part people will always have a reason. They may not always have an excuse.
-Tom-

What the heck - lets just keep mixin' stuff together till it blows up or smells REALLY bad!!

Wet Shaving Missionary - "Have you been shaved?"