Fix an EJ Merkur head?

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Fix an EJ Merkur head?

Post by Sam »

My Georgian (bulbous) DE razor fell and the screw part broke. It has three pieces and the top piece has the screw attached. Seems as though there is a slot that holds it in place and I guess it had a little glue or solder? It will hold but once you screw it down again, the top pops off.

Think superglue will fix this?
DEF

Post by DEF »

I would try JB Weld. (Sorry to hear about your misfortune.)
murchmb

Post by murchmb »

I know Merkur has repaired/replaced razors that have done this in the past. I don't know about EJ. You could always order a new EJ head, which is getting pretty good reviews. I bought one for my own Georgian with my DE89L order. I have a beard going right now for the holidays, but my first shave will be with the DE89L or my updated Georgian.
Mike
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Too bad Sam, I'd send it to Merkur rather than try a home fix.
Regards,
Squire
gruffydd3

Post by gruffydd3 »

I may be wrong, but I believe E J guarantees their razors for life. I would contact them. They may fix it free of charge.

Rick
brothers

Post by brothers »

Sounds like sound advice, Sam. Let us know how it works itself out, if you decide to go that route.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Rick, I have contacted them. I am literally at a loss, as I only have my wife's disposable 3 bladed razors and the merkur slant which I use to blade buff. I see that they have new merkur heads for the Georgian and I can order one of those if they dont send me just the top portion of the older merkur head. In the meantime, that could be a couple of weeks and I think I will superglue the screw into the top part of the head to see if that will work.
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

A razor dropped, that is something we all are afraid to happen. Never understood them brush/razor stands as cool as they look. After a shower and waving my bath towel vigorously, that is just something waiting to happen.

I am quite positive Sam that you can get another head cap though if nothing bad else happened to your razor. The guard should be pretty solid material, less flexible than a bronze one even if it is made from pot metal. The characteristic of it is that it is rather to brake than bend.

Merry Christmas to all reading this thread.

Jarmo
Jarmo
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

The head has a recessed circle and at the base of the circle is a slot of metal. the screw has a correspondening groove in its head and you just twist the screw into the circle and viola. Looks like a little solder material was used, two small dots, as the screw is silver with what looks like two dots of brassing where solder I guess would go. Without it, the screw pops out of the slot when you screw the head into the handle. Hopefully the super glue works as well as the solder and my head in 12 hours should be good for a Christmas morning shave. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I did not see anything on the EJ site that said there was a life long warranty, so we shall see. They do have a sale on some razors and stuff in case any one is interested! :) :)
brothers

Post by brothers »

DEF wrote:I would try JB Weld. (Sorry to hear about your misfortune.)
I have JB weld ranked equally with duct tape on my list of must haves for fixing things. If the superglue doesn't work go with the JB. It takes several hours to set up, so if you're wanting to go with superglue first, then don't wait too long after you glue it to try it out. That way if it doesn't hold, you will not have lost too much time.
Gary

SOTD 99%: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, soaps & creams, synthetic / badger brushes, Colonial General razor, Kai & Schick blades, straight razors any time, Superior 70 aftershave splash + menthol + 444
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Gary, the superglue seems pretty good so far. I am going to let it set up extra long, leaving it alone from like 1 p.m. until around 9 a.m. tomorrow, almost 20 hours or so. I guess JB Weld is at Lowes?
murchmb

Post by murchmb »

Sam wrote:Gary, the superglue seems pretty good so far. I am going to let it set up extra long, leaving it alone from like 1 p.m. until around 9 a.m. tomorrow, almost 20 hours or so. I guess JB Weld is at Lowes?
Lowes, Home Depot, or just about any autoparts store.
Mike
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

No offense, but I'll be shocked if super glue works, I would guess that if it does hold, it'll last maybe a week or two. JB Weld has a better chance than any other 'epoxy'
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

Yes, so far, it worked. I missed using my EJ Georgian for three days. That bulbous handle works so well for me. I do wish they would do some sort of Slant Bar with that handle, even if it is not a matched set.
Sam
M'Learned Friend

Post by Sam »

EJ sent me a whole new head, top and bottom piece, and they look great. I can notice differences, like the pieces are noticeably thicker now, though the same geometry seems to be present. Anyone compare the older Merkur heads with the new ones>

Also, Suzanne at the company sent me some buckthorn aftershave balm and sandalwood shave cream samples to try out. A very nice touch, and how did she know I am down to a half pot of Coates Sandalwood?
lawcash1

Post by lawcash1 »

Fantastic customer support!