Received gillette tech

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
mustang66

Received gillette tech

Post by mustang66 »

Hi All,

Thanks to a forum member I received my Gilllette Tech today. I have been using a weishi after moving away from the Merkur razors.

Looking forward to shaving with the tech in the morning, will post up my feedback

Craig
Timpac

Post by Timpac »

That was my first razor after a superspeed. The difference is huge and using a 3 piece means you have much more control. It's a mild razor, but worth the effort when it comes to replacing blades and anything related to facial hair. The tech is wonderful if you have sensitive skin and a good, sharp blade with it will work well. Just avoid Feather and Derby blades if you have particularly sensitive skin and look toward Crystals as a good starting point.
swarden43

Post by swarden43 »

Timpac wrote: ...using a 3 piece means you have much more control.
How so?
Take care and God bless,
Steve
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

For me, using a 3-piece means juggling a lot of parts and a loose blade with wet hands.

If it weren't for the NEW shaving so well, and maybe one or two other interesting 3-piece razors, I'd always use a one-piece.
merkri

Post by merkri »

swarden43 wrote:How so?
I'm not sure exactly what Timpac meant, but I agree with the original statement, and here's my explanation:

For me, the tech is smaller and therefore more maneuverable. I also feel like there's less stuff in between the blade and your face.

With a TTO, it's like on your face you have: "1. metal, 2. blade, 3. mysterious black box filled with contraptions that move the blade around".

With a tech, it's like on your face you have: "1. metal, 2. blade, 3. metal"

The tech just seems smaller, and like what you feel on your face is closer to being where the blade actually is.

As a disclaimer, I have to say that my Slim has been growing on me quite a bit, and I'm not sure I like one or the other more. However, I do still feel like the tech is more maneuverable and I have a greater sense of control over it.
swarden43

Post by swarden43 »

Pauldog wrote:For me, using a 3-piece means juggling a lot of parts and a loose blade with wet hands.

If it weren't for the NEW shaving so well, and maybe one or two other interesting 3-piece razors, I'd always use a one-piece.
I would never recommend changing a blade with wet hands.

I will agree that the slimmer head on the Tech may give a little more control, but I don't necessarily see that as a "huge" difference.
Take care and God bless,
Steve
mustang66

Post by mustang66 »

Ok, so I had my first shave with the Gillette Tech today. I loved it, got a fantastic shave, I normally use the weishi, the gillette tech was as mild maybe a little more agressive, but it gave me a better shave and I could not be happier, wish I had got a tech when I first started DE shaving. Like most I was recommended the Merkur HD, if I was a new shaver, I would get a tech for sure

Its a top razor, well made, easy to move around, and gave me a close comfortable shave even with a derby blade I have

Cant wait for my iridiums to arrive so I can try these in the tech

Craig
Timpac

Post by Timpac »

pretty much just what Merkri said. I can shave in and around a goattee, for instance, just find with something like a tech of NEW, but definitely can't with a superspeed. The size and shape of the head seems to play into that the most and it's certainly easier to see where the edge of the blade is going as well.
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

It's very hard to tell the difference in bulkiness between the head on a Schick Krona or Super Speed (both one-piece razors) and a Tech (3-piece).

And I admire the design elegance in fitting the opening and locking mechanism into a small space without hurting the shave, just as I admire the design elegance of the injector razor.