micromatic

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.
gil3591

micromatic

Post by gil3591 »

i'm thinking of giving a micromatic a try. are there any models better than others? anyway to tell how old they are?
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
Pauldog
Never Shave a Husky

Post by Pauldog »

I think they're all pretty similar, though someone with more experience with more variants may have a comment on blade exposure. The main difference I found is the obvious one of comb vs. bar guard.

The original patent is from the 1930's, if I remember right. I think they were sold in the 30's and 40's.
michiganlover

Post by michiganlover »

I have shaved with all three variants. The Open Comb Micromatic was my first Gem ever, and it gave me great shaves; but mostly because I knew it was madly aggressive, and treated it with great respect.

The Clog-Prof never gave me a good shave. I wondered if it was somehow defective.

The Bullet Tip Micromatic (the closed bar Micromatic) is my favorite of the three, and also the mildest. While it is a fine shaver, I typically get a better shave from my Gem 1912, or Gem G-Bar.

Of the three, I only presently own only the Bullet Tip.
~JOHN~

Wet Shaver's Mantra:

Go Slow. Proper Angle. No Pressure.
gil3591

Post by gil3591 »

any tips for a micromatic open comb newbie compared to de's?
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
swarden43

Post by swarden43 »

gil3591 wrote:any tips for a micromatic open comb newbie compared to de's?
Same as for any razor you're not familiar with, be it a DE or SE... no pressure, go slow, no pressure, watch the angle, no pressure.

Technique is a bit unique, but you can get it.

As has been stated, the open comb is the more aggressive. I have an open comb, a Clog-Prof, a Featherweight, an Ever-ready 1912, a Gem Lather Catcher. All give good shaves - once you get the technique down.
Take care and God bless,
Steve
dcrosso

Shaved with my GEM Micromatic clog pruf

Post by dcrosso »

Last week I picked up a GEM Micromatic Clog Pruf at a local pawn shop. It was in very good condition. I purchased ($5.29 + tax ) a pack of GEM razor blades at Walgreens. I shaved with it this AM. I had shaved several times previously with my Featherweight and Contour GEM razors, so I was cautious using no pressure and taking my time. I am still learning to use these razors. I got a close shave, however I got three weepers in the usual place I get weepers, just below the left side of my mouth. I have some small bumps on the right and left side of my mouth. I end up shaving off the tops off the bumps on occasion. I have a Alum block coming from Atlanta Barber Supply to try to resolve the bumps. The Micromatic seemed to be slightly more aggressive then the Featherweight or Contour. I had some weepers using them. When I used some Bay Rum aftershave I noticed more irritation then I get with my Gillette Tech razor. Time will tell.