blade type poll

Let's talk about single and double edged razors and the blades that they use.

sharp or not-so-sharp

sharp
70%
not-so-sharp
30%

Total votes: 40

gil3591

blade type poll

Post by gil3591 »

a few days ago a thread was talking about blade preferences and a fourm member suggested that there might be two classes of shavers. one type likes sharp blades and the other likes not-so-sharp. to me, sharp means smooth but to others maybe not-so-sharp means smooth. so i thought i would start a poll going about this. not really questioning whether you think your blade is the sharp type or not but rather do you think you prefer sharp blades or not-so-sharp
Gil
futur/EJ357/ gillette redtip
iridium ,blue IP
thater, shavemac.anchorset/tgn,sr3226
dirty bird
and a prayer
marsos52

Post by marsos52 »

this is going to be interesting!!

i will add my comments later, after i see where this goes..

marc
function

Post by function »

I don't mean to threadjack, but what blades are ragerded as "sharp" and which and "not so sharp?"

I imagine Feathers are regarded as Sharp, but which others?

Or should I just see Squire's reviews and move on my merry way?
Nick

Give me Lavender or give me death.
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

Sharpness can be subjective to the point of ludicrousy. If you've visited knife forums, some people employ very fine paste abrasives down to micron size and test edges on cigarette papers. And suprise! a few worked such fine edges the paper caused these microthin blades to fold over and fail to cut.
Anyone who knows crosscut saws understands there are Tuttle,Champion and Lancetooth american patterns and a wicked australian competition pattern. There are also older simple diamond toothed patterns from the past. They all cut different; soft,hard and frozen woods by design. But with skill and elbow grease all will cut reasonably well to get the job done.
I think our beards are like those trees. Some of us are gnarly old oaks with knots and others 2 y/o Douglas firs at the Christmas tree farm.
Straight Arrow

Post by Straight Arrow »

I didn't vote because I think it depends on the razor being used. For instance, I like sharp blades in a Tech, Superspeed, or an adjustable and not-so-sharp blades in a NEW or a Tuckaway.
Rich
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

function, blades can be ranked by sharpness but there is also smoothness and longevity to be considered.I suggest you start with a Feather (which everybody agrees is sharp) for half a shave them replace it with a middle good blade (which I rank as 6.5 or so) for the second half of the shave. Using the same razor that should answer some of your questions.
Regards,
Squire
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

I like most blades that are rated at 6.75 (based on Squires rating system) although not fond of the Swedish Gillette's.
Squire
Squadron Leader

Post by Squire »

Gil it's not just preferences, there is a mechanical element involved. Blades are very consistent but razors vary by ten thousandths of an inch during the manufacturing process. It does make a difference with a given blade. I suggest a guy find a razor that balances in his hand and then find a blade that matches the razor in the right combination of sharpness and smoothness.
Regards,
Squire
bernards66
Duke of Silvertip!

Post by bernards66 »

I agree, which is why I didn't vote....it's not as simple as the poll suggests. While generally I like blades that most consider quite 'sharp'; the old Swedish Gillettes and various vintage blades, I don't like Feathers. But I am okay with the Israeli made Personnas....and I don't even switch razors around much. It's a matter of that proper balance, for each individual, that Squire mentioned above.
Regards,
Gordon
KAV
Location: California, just above L.A. between the Reagan Library and Barbra Streisand's beach house

Post by KAV »

An apochryphal legend has Richard Couer de Lion meeting Saladine.
The english king pulls out his two handed broadsword and chops a anvil in half.
Saladine tosses a silk garment in the air, turns his damascene scimitar up and lets the wieght of the silk cut itself in half floating down.
An earlier british king FOUND his sword in a sword.
Answers to razor blades lack such romance. It's called a sampler pack.
D.Irving79
The Great Lord Protector of the SE!

Post by D.Irving79 »

MY sharp:

DE - swedes

SE - pellas
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

D.Irving79 wrote:MY sharp:

DE - swedes

SE - pellas
Dave, which Pellas - the carbon, the stainless, or the coated stainless?

- Murray
Thalay Sagar

Post by Thalay Sagar »

Good to hear from from you, Dave..
Best,
Chris

“Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
drumana

Post by drumana »

I use only Derby blades these days, which I consider to be not so sharp. And that is compared to Feather blades, which I used for quite a while and consider to be quite sharp.
-Andrew-
JarmoP

Post by JarmoP »

I am not a fan of Feather blades. Too sharp and unkind to my skin under my jaw.

Mostly I use Red pack Personnas and Derby blades, but I have many others too, from sample pack and razor purchases and local ones I have found over time.

I did put my vote on not so sharp. I first started on Gillette Platinums "swedes" and I still have 2 unopened packages I bought when I heard they were were discontinued +3 in an opened one I think. As nice as they are compared to Feathers, still some more irritation under my jaw ATG than I like compared to my daily blades.

And I did not like Derby blades at all when I first tried them compared to my "swedes". I did found a lots of tugging more but later I found non irritationless shaves too. So go figure. I seem to be on the minority and that is no surprise either, heh.
Jarmo
Kyle76

Post by Kyle76 »

I use Derbys and Swedes. Obviously, neither is as sharp as Feathers, but they give me as smooth shaves with more comfort than Feathers.
Jim
CMur12

Post by CMur12 »

I use Treet Dura Sharp "Classics," Iridium Supers, Gillette "Swedes," and some vintage Wilks, which I consider to be on the sharper side.

I also consider my NOS US Schick Injector and Treet Super SE carbon steel blades to be very sharp.

- Murray
GA Russell

Post by GA Russell »

I like sharp blades to go with my mild Weishi.
Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Fitness
Lijun badger
Gillette 1948-1950 Super Speed
m3m0ryleak

Post by m3m0ryleak »

I discovered the essence of "sharp" when I first put an Iridium Super to my cheek and it took me to the gates of shaving nirvana, 48 hour stubble literally jumped off my jowl in fear. :lol: